d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Usb Hard Drive Issues
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 3 2021 04:11pm
So my friend pass me his hard drive to share some stuff and I cannot open it... i think it's because he use mac.... and i use windows... so lame.

so is there a way for me to get access to that drive on my windows 10?

it connects to the drive, charging it but dosent appear in devices and drives..

would it be easier to just give him a usb drive for him to copy the stuff on it?

if so what should i format the drive in? exfat? ntfs?

This post was edited by Kjhghjk42 on Jun 3 2021 04:24pm
Gold: 40,605.01
Jun 3 2021 08:12pm
If you want to share an external storage between Mac and Windows, you need to have it formatted to exFAT. Default allocation size should work. Although, I see some search results showing don't transfer single files over 4GB. I personally never had a file over 4GB to move from Windows to Mac or vice versa.

Another technique is to have the Mac computer in the same network and do file sharing. But given the fact that you couldn't use a Google search to look up exFAT or NTFS, I don't recommend this solution.

This post was edited by Xet on Jun 3 2021 08:13pm
Jun 3 2021 08:17pm
Quote (Xet @ 3 Jun 2021 19:12)
If you want to share an external storage between Mac and Windows, you need to have it formatted to exFAT. Default allocation size should work. Although, I see some search results showing don't transfer single files over 4GB. I personally never had a file over 4GB to move from Windows to Mac or vice versa.

Another technique is to have the Mac computer in the same network and do file sharing. But given the fact that you couldn't use a Google search to look up exFAT or NTFS, I don't recommend this solution.

:rofl: thanks thats what i did lol i did search the internet but i wanted to see if someone had a better solution.. like that could just allow me to directly take from his hard drive. thats a good idea tho to connect over the same network i havent thought of that....
Gold: 40,605.01
Jun 3 2021 08:21pm
You can also try e-mailing yourself, either to your e-mail or save draft. From your friend's computer, log into your e-mail and start attaching the files to a draft e-mail. Then access your e-mail account from your computer to take the draft.

There is also Dropbox, MS OneDrive and Google Drive.
Gold: 31,826.45
Jun 4 2021 11:41am
Quote (Kjhghjk42 @ Jun 3 2021 07:11pm)
So my friend pass me his hard drive to share some stuff and I cannot open it... i think it's because he use mac.... and i use windows... so lame.

so is there a way for me to get access to that drive on my windows 10?

it connects to the drive, charging it but dosent appear in devices and drives..

would it be easier to just give him a usb drive for him to copy the stuff on it?

if so what should i format the drive in? exfat? ntfs?

Do you actually need files off of the hard drive? If so use HFSexplorer or Macdrive.

If you just want to use the hard drive and wipe it then just delete the partitions in disk management and format the drive to NTFS (Windows only) or ExFAT

This post was edited by TimmyTurner on Jun 4 2021 11:41am
Jun 4 2021 09:58pm
Quote (TimmyTurner @ 4 Jun 2021 10:41)
Do you actually need files off of the hard drive? If so use HFSexplorer or Macdrive.

If you just want to use the hard drive and wipe it then just delete the partitions in disk management and format the drive to NTFS (Windows only) or ExFAT

i just gave him my ssd to put his stuff on it :D was the easiest way for now
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll