d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Anime > To Your Eternity
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,579.58
Apr 29 2021 12:34am
Quote (Chuu @ Apr 29 2021 06:18pm)
watching anime in the original language helps me to better understand the culture that is being shared by the creator, there are tons of innuendos and slang that are spoken in a form of Japanese that cannot be translated, so the dubbed version just modifies and remake the verbal exchanges within scenes.
this is seen as a lower quality form of information digestion by me, because it isn't from the original creator of the show, and also because it is from the English speaking culture which I am trying to escape from by watching anime in the first place.
the reason why I watch foreign films/cinema and television is to take in and appreciate other nations points of view and cultural impression.

so the act of taking a foreign made media and watching it with the plot partially rewritten to adjust for the direct translation inefficiency seems like disrespect to myself and to the source creator.

I like being able to watch a show in my native language because it feels like I can process the emotions and scenes easier, quicker, and more successfully; But I don't like to impair the quality of the original source media to accommodate.

Your post is very helpful in understanding why you watch subbed anime (personal choice I can relate).

So, for me to explain things that you may (may being optimum wording) comprehend, the animation (graphics) will (WILL) encompass all of the things you are trying to understand for yourself, now, for myself personally, I have to Pause to read the text (which may NOT fully explain what you are watching it for in your explanation)... BUT... yes BUT, an image is a thousand words, and if the GRAPHICS are on par with the subtitle and the meaning of the writer(s) emotion or what you want to understand should be portrayed without wording.

As a Dub viewer, I can see the graphics and what is implied in the verbal sense no matter what language, yet I am subjugated to Pausing, reading, and lost because I don't see the graphics addition to either sub or dub editing. I hope this makes sense, because once I watch an episode and pause to read the subtitles, I have to re-watch it again for the graphics to better understand the point you have just posted.

I don't want to listen to Squalling voices while trying to read and view the graphics to comprehend any hidden meaning behind the character or characters in the show.

But, I will end this with... to each their own, and to understand the view of another is to step away from ones own wall and view it from another. Yes, I know where you are coming from, and for myself, I have Tinnitus in both ears, so I am constantly hearing high pitched sounds and watching subbed and the high pitch is just devastating, especially when they try and use different Accents.
Gold: 29.00
Apr 29 2021 09:40am
Quote (Chuu @ Apr 29 2021 01:18am)
watching anime in the original language helps me to better understand the culture that is being shared by the creator, there are tons of innuendos and slang that are spoken in a form of Japanese that cannot be translated, so the dubbed version just modifies and remake the verbal exchanges within scenes.
this is seen as a lower quality form of information digestion by me, because it isn't from the original creator of the show, and also because it is from the English speaking culture which I am trying to escape from by watching anime in the first place.
the reason why I watch foreign films/cinema and television is to take in and appreciate other nations points of view and cultural impression.

so the act of taking a foreign made media and watching it with the plot partially rewritten to adjust for the direct translation inefficiency seems like disrespect to myself and to the source creator.

I like being able to watch a show in my native language because it feels like I can process the emotions and scenes easier, quicker, and more successfully; But I don't like to impair the quality of the original source media to accommodate.

yeah, localization is a real piece of shit over here.
they push politics into the shit or stupid trends which have no business being in the translation.
like what happened to Dragon Maid, or recently when some translator decided to put "sus" in Nagatoro just because of the amongus meme.
it ruins the experience and is basically an insult to the original.

That's not even taking into account that western VA's have ZERO skill in acting.
JP VA industry is a lot more developed, skilled and vast in number.
even JP dubbed western cartoon are so much better handled compared to what we do to their anime. lol

This post was edited by Dragonox on Apr 29 2021 09:40am
Gold: 21.78
Jun 4 2021 04:32am
such a beautiful and captivating style of SOL
Gold: 21.78
Aug 4 2021 03:22am
no homo but i cry every episode
Go Back To Anime Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll