d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Weird Computer Power Issues
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 50.00
Apr 10 2021 09:06pm
Quote (TimmyTurner @ Apr 10 2021 11:05pm)
Thanks for that. Have you ever overclocked your CPU?

Nope all is factory.
Gold: 31,826.45
Apr 10 2021 09:12pm
Quote (3oDAtlas @ Apr 11 2021 12:06am)
Nope all is factory.

Cool.

How long have you owned this PC and when did the problem start occurring? Feel like this will end up becoming a "find the malfunctioning hardware" guessing game.
Apr 10 2021 09:14pm
Quote (TimmyTurner @ Apr 10 2021 11:12pm)
Cool.

How long have you owned this PC and when did the problem start occurring? Feel like this will end up becoming a "find the malfunctioning hardware" guessing game.

Hmm, about 6-7mo. And it has been going on for pretty much the entire time. One thing I plan on doing next time it happens is check ALL the fans to see if any have powered off. I was also going to take a multimeter and read some of the voltage cables coming from the PSU to see if I can find something that has dropped out.
Apr 10 2021 09:29pm
Quote (3oDAtlas @ Apr 11 2021 12:14am)
Hmm, about 6-7mo. And it has been going on for pretty much the entire time. One thing I plan on doing next time it happens is check ALL the fans to see if any have powered off. I was also going to take a multimeter and read some of the voltage cables coming from the PSU to see if I can find something that has dropped out.

Did you buy this PC new and build it yourself?

If it's been happening the entire time then this has got to be a hardware or power related issue. Just to take the path of least resistance it would be best to scan the disk that your operating system is on for bad sectors:

I personally use HDDScan for that.

Could you also check your motherboard drivers and make sure they're up to date? Especially the one for your Motherboard BIOS.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
Apr 10 2021 10:19pm
Quote (TimmyTurner @ Apr 10 2021 11:29pm)
Did you buy this PC new and build it yourself?

If it's been happening the entire time then this has got to be a hardware or power related issue. Just to take the path of least resistance it would be best to scan the disk that your operating system is on for bad sectors:

I personally use HDDScan for that.

Could you also check your motherboard drivers and make sure they're up to date? Especially the one for your Motherboard BIOS.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Hmm, I've never actually updated the BIOS, don't you need to go at it a specific way?
Apr 10 2021 10:22pm
Quote (3oDAtlas @ Apr 11 2021 01:19am)
Hmm, I've never actually updated the BIOS, don't you need to go at it a specific way?

According to the instructions there it says that if you are under version F31 then you need to update to F31 first before updating to the latest version. Most of the time your BIOS version will be listed in system information on Windows 10.
Gold: 24,401.00
Apr 11 2021 11:41am
check to see if ur psu is the right wattage for your system, check if ur display port cable is messed up or ur monitor/tv isnt compatible. check ur graphics card drivers. if all ur components are working a bios update is prolly not the answer most likely its ur powersupply
Apr 12 2021 08:08am
Quote (UsEr_SeLeCtEd @ Apr 11 2021 02:41pm)
check to see if ur psu is the right wattage for your system, check if ur display port cable is messed up or ur monitor/tv isnt compatible. check ur graphics card drivers. if all ur components are working a bios update is prolly not the answer most likely its ur powersupply

Powersupply typically isn't going to crash the system in the way that's being described... It's usually a hardware malfunction. OP also stated that he's able to play games just fine and the crashes occur when the system is idle and he's not using it.

If it was the power supply then the system would be crashing when the load is at it's highest (AKA when gaming) and would also bring down the whole system instead of keeping the whole system powered but cutting power to all peripherals.

I'm just trying to take the path of least resistance because if this doesn't do anything then I will be suggesting re-seating all the components.

This post was edited by TimmyTurner on Apr 12 2021 08:11am
Gold: 24,401.00
Apr 12 2021 12:07pm
Quote (TimmyTurner @ Apr 12 2021 07:08am)
Powersupply typically isn't going to crash the system in the way that's being described... It's usually a hardware malfunction. OP also stated that he's able to play games just fine and the crashes occur when the system is idle and he's not using it.

If it was the power supply then the system would be crashing when the load is at it's highest (AKA when gaming) and would also bring down the whole system instead of keeping the whole system powered but cutting power to all peripherals.

I'm just trying to take the path of least resistance because if this doesn't do anything then I will be suggesting re-seating all the components.

I have an old system that does this. goes to sleep doesn't wake up fans and cpu go crazy until I do a hard shutdown then it got worse to where the monitor wouldn't even detect any input when I turned the computer on.
I'm guessing it was my power supply being old and something to do with my power management settings on my devices. My work around was to re plug my display cable over and switch the port on the computer tower turn off and on the monitor and it would eventually work. I knew it wasn't the monitor b/c I tested it with other computers and it worked just fine. Somehow it pretty much fixed itself when I changed my dvi cable to a new one I haven't tinkered with this system in months but maybe ill hook it back up and see if the problem is still there.

This post was edited by UsEr_SeLeCtEd on Apr 12 2021 12:10pm
Gold: 73.69
Apr 13 2021 12:45pm
So I have a AMD 2600 and RX 590 Fatboy

Same thing happens when I try to queue into Escape from Tarkov games occasionally:

1) Both screens turn black
2) keyboard/mouse LEDs turn off
3) GPU fans kick into hyperspeed and sound like a jet engine

Safe to say its not a Temp issue as some days I run tarkov 10 hours with no issues
This issue only happens when I queue for a match, so I'm thinking it could be a lack in wattage provided by my PSU?

Anyone know?
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll