d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Just Got A New Job At A Cafe + Catering Company
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Mar 14 2021 10:00am
This is my first job in a kitchen besides a baking stint I did for 5 years when I was a teenager.

Does anyone have any quick tips or things I should think about while working in a kitchen besides listen to my chef and take those directions? More or less thinking about etiquette, etc.

One of my goals is to apply for an apprenticeship program at my old college, then take my Red Seal through that. Or should I just learn from my experience and challenge the test later?

Any feedback or chatter is welcome!
Gold: 1.71
Mar 14 2021 03:46pm
Say behind, label things correctly (also cut edges, don't tear them), don't wipe food off tables to the floor, keep your towels folded neatly.

Send me a message if you have any questions.
Mar 16 2021 06:51am
Quote (illyria @ Mar 14 2021 05:46pm)
Say behind, label things correctly (also cut edges, don't tear them), don't wipe food off tables to the floor, keep your towels folded neatly.

Send me a message if you have any questions.

Right on, thanks! This is the type of stuff I was wondering. I am and have been doing most of those things.

I guess I'm basically asking for pet peeves in a working kitchen.. what else is out there?
Mar 18 2021 04:00pm
first week done (3-4 shifts if you include last thursday)! pumped about what ive learned and tasted so far. My owner/boss/head chef is a savage in the kitchen, never misses anything, gives great guidance and tips, and is also very laid back.

just for the record this is a catering and small cafe joint. the catering side is busy af compared to the cafe, so theres a lot to do and big orders, but we're not overly pushed on time like an average restaurant.

any career chefs/cooks on jsp (besides illryan :D)?
Gold: 1.71
Mar 18 2021 11:51pm
Quote (IrishJoe @ Mar 16 2021 05:51am)
Right on, thanks! This is the type of stuff I was wondering. I am and have been doing most of those things.

I guess I'm basically asking for pet peeves in a working kitchen.. what else is out there?

All of my experience is in Michelin+ level restaurants, so im usually pretty picky and have a million pet peeves.

Don't be needlessly loud in the kitchen.
Don't slam doors
Don't close doors with your feet.
Don't be the jackass who throws stuff into the trashcan and misses every time.
Don't go for a smoke break every 30 minutes
Don't make 5 trips to the walk in like an idiot
Initials on labels
Sweep your floor frequently (and don't kick trash beneath tables like a savage)
Don't be drunk/high at work.
Stack dishes properly at the pit
Wear proper nonslip shoes
Extra fine tip sharpies, so your labels aren't 5 inches long
Don't leave your cups/mugs on the line
Communicate with your coworkers. Call out times
Don't rely on borrowing your coworkers stuff.

There are a few things that come to mind.
Mar 20 2021 06:15am
Quote (illyria @ Mar 19 2021 01:51am)
All of my experience is in Michelin+ level restaurants, so im usually pretty picky and have a million pet peeves.

Don't be needlessly loud in the kitchen.
Don't slam doors
Don't close doors with your feet.
Don't be the jackass who throws stuff into the trashcan and misses every time.
Don't go for a smoke break every 30 minutes
Don't make 5 trips to the walk in like an idiot
Initials on labels
Sweep your floor frequently (and don't kick trash beneath tables like a savage)
Don't be drunk/high at work.
Stack dishes properly at the pit
Wear proper nonslip shoes
Extra fine tip sharpies, so your labels aren't 5 inches long
Don't leave your cups/mugs on the line
Communicate with your coworkers. Call out times
Don't rely on borrowing your coworkers stuff.

There are a few things that come to mind.

thankfully I'm so new that I haven't committed any of these, besides going to the fridge a few extra times (still learning where everything is), closing fridge with my foot since my hands are full, I never miss the trash can cuz KOBE!

These are great peeves to think about, thanks again man.

What would be the best/favourite, worst/biggest mistake, and then most repetitive/you could make with your eyes closed dishes you've made?

This post was edited by IrishJoe on Mar 20 2021 06:17am
Gold: 595.62
Mar 21 2021 06:01am
Quote (IrishJoe @ 18 Mar 2021 18:00)
any career chefs/cooks on jsp (besides illryan :D)?

Here

The biggest tip I seen missed here, and I'm sure you've already been told at work
NO KNIVES IN THE SINK, EVER!
I can make a litany of things eyes closed, my favorite go tos are Jambalaya(90-year old recipe), Chilli, my Grandmothers spaghetti

I prefer to follow my recipes to a tee every time because I want consistency.

Mar 21 2021 06:20am
Quote (TheBert @ Mar 21 2021 08:01am)
Here

The biggest tip I seen missed here, and I'm sure you've already been told at work
NO KNIVES IN THE SINK, EVER!
I can make a litany of things eyes closed, my favorite go tos are Jambalaya(90-year old recipe), Chilli, my Grandmothers spaghetti

I prefer to follow my recipes to a tee every time because I want consistency.

yep, I've been told that for sure, for obvious reason. There is a bucket/bin we throw utensils to instead of in the sink. Plus I usually wash my own after every use, especially if touching meat.

As far as recipes, that's basically what I'm doing, we have a ton of leaflets and I throw them all together for bulk meals then they are portioned out or left in the front for our cafe.

With that being said, I made a bechamel last night for my gf based off of what we made in the kitchen, but all by scratch and eye ballin'... good news, it was amazing. I imagine it's hard to mess up though with all the butter and cheese lol.

I'm curious to know more about this Jambalaya! tell me more..
Gold: 595.62
Mar 21 2021 06:26am
Quote (IrishJoe @ 21 Mar 2021 08:20)
yep, I've been told that for sure, for obvious reason. There is a bucket/bin we throw utensils to instead of in the sink. Plus I usually wash my own after every use, especially if touching meat.

As far as recipes, that's basically what I'm doing, we have a ton of leaflets and I throw them all together for bulk meals then they are portioned out or left in the front for our cafe.

With that being said, I made a bechamel last night for my gf based off of what we made in the kitchen, but all by scratch and eye ballin'... good news, it was amazing. I imagine it's hard to mess up though with all the butter and cheese lol.

I'm curious to know more about this Jambalaya! tell me more..

Jambalaya is a lowland / cajun dish
Chicken and andouille sausage stewed with vegetables and typically rice, though I serve mine over rice to keep it from gumming all up
Gold: 342.00
Mar 21 2021 07:48am
Just out of curiosity.
How is the business during the pandemic? As less events are being held, I would suppose catering business would be affected somehow.
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll