d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Player vs. Monster > Trophy - The Grail
1239Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Senior Moderator
Gold: 4,123.69
Trader: Trusted
Feb 17 2021 07:58pm
I've attempted a few grails and they've always fizzled out once I had those last few items remaining. Simply put, the state of the game in vanilla isn't meant for one person to reasonably find all the items. That's where the challenge is.
However I was recently made aware of a way you can modify some of the drop statistics in the game, and so I decided I'd give it one last go (on an easy class) with a slightly modified game.
This obviously is not as challenging as a vanilla grail, I understand that. This walkthrough will have a 1.33x modifier to set and unique drops, as well as all boss kills will be quest drops - not just Andariel.
See FAQ for how this will impact the walkthrough.

Trophy - The Paladin

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How does this impact your drop chances of rare uniques? Is this even a challenge anymore?

A: It's still a challenge for me, albeit, a slightly more manageable one given my work schedule and inability to complete grails in the past (vanila).
Let's use Tyrael's Might as the example, given it's rarity, players 8 with 200MF:
Baal (Standard drop rates, non-quest kill)
Tyrael's Might The Worldstone Chamber 1:160220
Baal (Modified drop rates, non-quest kill)
Tyrael's Might The Worldstone Chamber 1: (approximately) 148000
Why does the drop rate not get multiplied by a true 1.33? Because this modifier only increases the chances of an item rolling unique/set - it does not increase the likelihood of sacred armor to drop.
Baal (Standard drop rates, quest kill)
Tyrael's Might The Worldstone Chamber 1:102755
Baal (Modified drop rates, quest kill)
Tyrael's Might The Worldstone Chamber 1:(approximately) 94000

This results in somewhere near a 40% reduction in runs necessary (From approximately 160k baal kills, for example, to 94k). Still plenty rare, but overall more manageable.

Q: Does this mean you're bad at PvM?

A: Yes, duh :P

Q: Why Hammerdin?

A: I've come close to completion on a Blizzard sorc, but running AT as my primary high alvl map got really really dull. Likewise on a necro I made, poison nova @ pits was extremely fast and easy, but it got quite dull over time. Hammerdins can clear anything easily, it's kind of "easy mode" - but in the sense that they're very versatile. The only other character in my mind that comes close in terms of late-game versatility is an assassin (lightning damage, physical damage, corpose explosion, very tanky, and has fun playstyle like riftsin).

Q. What other modifications are in use?

A: Good question. Keys and tomes have increased stack size. I can pickup more than one torch/anni, which is just a nice QoL change (I won't use more than one once I get one, if that's possible), and I can use skills in town (teleport :drool: ).

Q: What is the point of this topic?

A: Primarily to track my progress. I'll post noteworthy finds (I take screenshots of everydrop) and a somewhat daily update on my total grail progress. It's more for me to look back on, but it also allows you to follow along and see my struggles :P
Senior Moderator
Feb 17 2021 08:05pm
Progress so far
( 3 days worth - currently in nightmare A3)

Noteable finds:
Gull (100% MF dagger) in Jail level 2
Eye of Etlich (1 to all skills amulet) in Upper Kurast
Vipermagi (120-33-12) in Tower Cellar Level 4 (Countess)
Hone Sundan Yari (really good merc weapon) - Nightmare Andariel

Highest rune found so far: Fal (Didn't s/s, I believe it was catacombs 4 but not from Andariel)

Current Gear:
Lore (in a circlet)
Spirit Weapon (crystal sword - recently replaced phase blade :lol: )
Spirit Shield (crown shield, havent found a better base yet :( )
Vipermagi (120-33-12)
Eye of Etlich
Manald Heal (8rep) (I prefer the manage regen and replife over 27% more mf [I have a few other nagels, 27 is next highest])
30mf Nagel
Sanders Boots
Deaths Hands (Need the poison res :( and the only other decent option I have is magefist, but I don't need the fcr atm)
Goldwrap (45ed 65gf 30mf)

Charms:
GC: 5dex 27mana
LC: 5dex
SC: 15life, 15life

This post was edited by Textbook on Feb 17 2021 08:09pm
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 40%
Feb 18 2021 01:16am
:wacko:
As long as you're having fun I guess...
Gold: 63.45
Warn: 30%
Feb 18 2021 01:29am
Quote (SylvesterStallone @ Feb 18 2021 08:16am)
:wacko:
As long as you're having fun I guess...

How is it not fun to do the same thing for 20 years on the must funny d2 char in existence ?
Gold: 332,900.63
Feb 18 2021 03:57am
Hf buddy^^
Gold: 756.00
Feb 18 2021 05:30am
Nice, was wondering about doing a grail thread for my telezerker, recently found my first ever Tyrael's and then IK armour in pretty much the same spot in Pits, "just" need Templar's to complete the green/gold sacred armours :p

Dunno what the easiest way to keep track of it is, can't remember if someone said they had a spreadsheet link, or is there an app or something?

As for tweaking drops, eh, sure it's not vanilla but purists gonna be purists, 20 year old game people gonna play how they want.

Good luck!

Edit - gonna hit up LK for that Enigma? ;)

This post was edited by Mukhalif on Feb 18 2021 05:31am
Gold: 35.69
Feb 18 2021 11:41am
nice bro, glhf. started mine not too long ago... was dedicated for like a week, stream it 3-4 times a week... then i got bored. still plan to go back n do it but its hard to stay dedicated too lol.

looking forward to seeing your progress.

/e mine is straight 1.14d vanilla tho, no mods.

This post was edited by KushBot on Feb 18 2021 11:42am
Gold: 1.00
Feb 18 2021 01:44pm
Quote (Mukhalif @ Feb 18 2021 12:30pm)
Dunno what the easiest way to keep track of it is, can't remember if someone said they had a spreadsheet link, or is there an app or something?

I use this website: https://d2-holy-grail.herokuapp.com/
Very straightforward and easy to use and its very easy to make an account for it. Give it a shot :)
Senior Moderator
Feb 18 2021 02:52pm
Quote (SpAz. @ Feb 18 2021 04:57am)
Hf buddy^^

ty ty :)

Quote (Mukhalif @ Feb 18 2021 06:30am)
Nice, was wondering about doing a grail thread for my telezerker, recently found my first ever Tyrael's and then IK armour in pretty much the same spot in Pits, "just" need Templar's to complete the green/gold sacred armours :p

As for tweaking drops, eh, sure it's not vanilla but purists gonna be purists, 20 year old game people gonna play how they want.

Good luck!

Edit - gonna hit up LK for that Enigma? ;)

I can share a google spreadsheet with you, you just have to download a copy and you're all set to start tracking :Thumbsup:
As for enigma, yeah going to do some LK runs with some standard runs mixed inbetween, maybe some Trav ^_^

Quote (KushBot @ Feb 18 2021 12:41pm)
nice bro, glhf. started mine not too long ago... was dedicated for like a week, stream it 3-4 times a week... then i got bored. still plan to go back n do it but its hard to stay dedicated too lol.

looking forward to seeing your progress.

/e mine is straight 1.14d vanilla tho, no mods.

I've gotten pretty far, and played as long as 9-10months in a grail before, but eventually the drive died out as I couldn't find the last 2-3 items :cry:
I feel ya 100%
When are you going to start back up again? :D

Gold: 35.69
Feb 19 2021 12:56am
Quote (Textbook @ Feb 18 2021 03:52pm)

When are you going to start back up again? :D

been playing Valheim so probably soon as I'm bored with that I'll be going back at it.
Go Back To Player vs. Monster Topic List
1239Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll