d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Sbd Loss Tracker
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 3 2021 06:17pm
This is a dear diary thread so I can look back at all my mistakes. Read if you want.

Investing: Investing to me is far more than just monetary investments. Money, mind and body are three areas the first pop to mind. Although that isn't a comprehensive list its what ill start to track.

Financial

Current as of December 31, 2020:
December 31, 2020 Savings Goal: $574K
Net Savings: $667K (462.9K Me 204.1K Spouse) Exceeded goal by 92.4K. Less discretionary spending in the year due to COVID travel restrictions & significant unforeseen market movement resulting in a much larger ROI.
Larger Assets: 1/2 Lake Front Cottage (very rural which lowers its value significantly) , Vehicle, ATV's and Skidoo. Estimated value $110K. This is not included in net savings.

Monthly Essential Spending Average:$3.3K
Monthly Discretionary Spending Average: $2.05K (includes 1.3K of travel which is 15K smoothed over the year and $500 of entertainment money per month).
Average Take Home Income per Month: $21.7K
Net savings per month: $16.3K
Goal: Net Savings of 2.5M by 37. Current age 29.
Amount Invested in Equities: 100% of Net Savings. Pay cheques are large enough I don't bother with reserves, I have no financial commitments outside a cellphone plan.

Current Largest Holdings: VUN, TD, various Brookfield companies, Disney, VHT, NFI Group, PSX, ENB, HR.UN & RioCan.
VHT, PSX, NFI HR.UN, VRE, RioCan and TD were all picked up after the COVID downturn. Returning anywhere from 5-80% since the purchase.
I have many other holdings but won’t list them all.

I don't invest in meme stocks often and try to remain disciplined. Furthermore, I typically try to find stocks that have been hit with overwhelming amounts of negativity resulting in them being undervalued. Sometimes entire sectors in general. Oil and real estate being current ones I am trying to flip with above average gains within a 1-year window. My strategy has left me holding very few bags. When I do sell for a loss I ensure I'm on side with CRA and loss harvest it to at minimum receive the income tax benefit. I also have not ventured into the world of bitcoin and other investments.

Mind

I need to do work here. I am not challenged on a daily basis but feel I have golden handcuffs on.
In the past two months I have demolished the following books:
Malice - John Gwynne
Valor - John Gwynne
Ruin - John Gwynne
Wrath - John Gwynne
A Time of Dread - John Gwynne
A Time of Blood - John Gwynne
A time of Courage - John Gwynne

Currently, listening to The Red Knight - Miles Cameron

I didn't get to attend any PD events in 2020 due to Covid.
Considering building on my personal tax knowable base to ideally retire in a small town and just complete a few tax returns per year as travel money. I think this will be my next big education push.
I need to start writing articles again or reading and learning something new, my mind is going to mush.

Body

Best Lifts in Lbs: Squat Bench Dead 455/300/615
I am not at my best, I sacrificed disciplined workouts for money a year ago or so but am slowly working back to where I was. Back to lifting 4 days a week. I can still deadlift 600lbs but squat and bench have been ignored.
I do little cardio aside from 15-20 mins on the bike 4 days a week but can run a 10K in about 75 mins (horrible I know). I might consider cross country skiing since gym cardio is beyond boring.

Ill track new purchases as I go here once per week. None of this is to be considered advice. I'll probably toss in my workout log too. I don't keep it anywhere else. If you're Canadian and have investment questions related to taxation or how something works I might be able to answer, but I am not going to give financial advice or say what to invest in. I wouldn't copy what I do.
Gold: 222.69
Warn: 30%
Feb 3 2021 07:29pm
Dear diary,

I sought validation from a dead online gaming forum today.

- SBD XoXoXo

But in srsness noiceeeeee. You own a business? Grats on not being in debt like most of the degenerates here.
Feb 3 2021 07:54pm
Quote (Greater @ Feb 3 2021 06:29pm)
Dear diary,

I sought validation from a dead online gaming forum today.

- SBD XoXoXo

But in srsness noiceeeeee. You own a business? Grats on not being in debt like most of the degenerates here.

Nah no validation required. My book picks have come from reddit. All my lifting knowlage YouTube. People have been good enough to take their time to post things so I could learn or have posted what interestes them and I found commen interest leading to some great finds.

I don't own a business. I did do consulting as a sole proprietor for a while and eventually would rather move back to that with a potential focus on taxation. I left consulting for a salary once my better half finished her schooling, it allowed us to stay in one spot. When she was doing her masters we mostly did distance and I didn't care how much I moved around chasing work.

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 3 2021 07:54pm
Gold: 32,161.71
Feb 3 2021 09:17pm
This is very strong of u

I don’t think I could do this without drinking myself to death

I try my bestto delete some of my trades from history
Feb 3 2021 09:24pm
Quote (Bazi @ Feb 3 2021 08:17pm)
This is very strong of u

I don’t think I could do this without drinking myself to death

I try my bestto delete some of my trades from history

I actually kept two of my biggest fails (relative to net wealth the time) and never sold them. These are very old trades now. One is negative 98.7% and one is negative 90% or something.

When I think I'm going to be cheeky I just go look at them. They're even in their own seperate account. I hate clicking into it but force myself sometimes.

Penny stocks...

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 3 2021 09:26pm
Gold: 32,161.71
Feb 3 2021 10:46pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 3 2021 09:24pm)
I actually kept two of my biggest fails (relative to net wealth the time) and never sold them. These are very old trades now. One is negative 98.7% and one is negative 90% or something.

When I think I'm going to be cheeky I just go look at them. They're even in their own seperate account. I hate clicking into it but force myself sometimes.

Penny stocks...

:hail: u are my idol
Gold: 260.11
Feb 3 2021 11:55pm
We should make a long term goal tracker.

Investing has become so gamified with how easy it is to do and how many message boards there are, we need some way to score e-peen points for our smart long-term moves.

Also when we are all rich from diamond hands and dank trading we need somebody to see how hard we worked.
Feb 4 2021 08:39am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 3 2021 10:55pm)
We should make a long term goal tracker.

Investing has become so gamified with how easy it is to do and how many message boards there are, we need some way to score e-peen points for our smart long-term moves.

Also when we are all rich from diamond hands and dank trading we need somebody to see how hard we worked.

It has become increasingly more difficult to remain disciplined. Constant access to devices. I can invest 3x using margin. Any loan that size in Canada id have to go through a lengthy process like obtaining a mortgage. Not with margin, its just instant.

Gold: 260.11
Feb 4 2021 08:53am
Quote (SBD @ Feb 4 2021 08:39am)
It has become increasingly more difficult to remain disciplined. Constant access to devices. I can invest 3x using margin. Any loan that size in Canada id have to go through a lengthy process like obtaining a mortgage. Not with margin, its just instant.

Removing the RobinHood app from my home screen has already made it easier. I was getting twitchy for the first 36 hours but it definitely kept me from buying more GME yesterday when it was holding at 90.
Feb 4 2021 11:20am
Fitness - Started a bridging block about a week ago before entering into a hypertrophy block next week. I need my body to get acclimated to an increase in volume before I actually start the hypertrophy block.

I'll run one 4 week hypertrophy block and 3x 4 week strength blocks before a peaking block. The entire macrocycle which is a total of 6 blocks uses an undulating periodization method of training. Each micro cycle introducing new stimulus. Every 4th week ill deload. Deload does not mean a rest week, it just means doing movements at a lighter % or significantly less volume.

Thus far my bridge block that started Jan 25th has been fine. Its all very light as to not kill myself moving into the next actual working block.

Jan 25 - Wk 1
M - Squat - 5X5 @ 205lbs - Felt like RPE 5 (warm up) | Bench 5x6 @ 215lbs - Felt like RPE 7 | 1" Conventional Deficit Deadlifts 7X3 @ 435-445 felt like RPE 6 | 3x15 sets of ez bar curls with whatever weight
T - Wide Grip Bench 6x6 @ - Felt like REP 6.5-7 | Front Squat 5x6 @ 140 - Felt like RPE 5 / warm up weight just becoming efficient at the moment | Step ups, chin ups, overhead DB extension and ab wheel rollouts 3 rounds all superseted. Don't care about weight just wanted to keep my heart rate high to build capacity.
F - 1" Conventional Deficit Deadlift 7X3 @ 435 felt like RPE 6.5 | Extra Wide Bench 8X4 @ 210 -Felt like RPE 6.5 | Curls, chin ups, split squat all superseted. Farmers walk for as many yards as I could get in 6 minutes carrying 200 lbs.
Sat - 3 second pause bench 9x3 @ 220 felt like RPE 6.5-7 | Front Squat 4x6 @ 175 felt like RPE 5 | chin ups, curls, overhead DB extensions all superseted.

Investing - I put aside some money this week for Brookfield's India REIT IPO. Probably won't initially purchase. Also purchased some ATCO stock.

Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll