d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > New Players Caster Guide
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 16,643.48
Jan 7 2021 02:45pm
The goal of the guide is to do a caster version of this guide: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=82660445&f=272
In general barb/fighter is easier to play, but a mage can also be a solid choice.
If you're thinking about playing a barb/fighter, click the link in the first line!

Making a Character:
For your first caster climb we'll be using a magician.
Rogue "can" be used but the smaller mana pool is the main reason we're avoiding that option.

Starting up:
Starting 10 base stats (press C) into vitality, or click the button in the below image
Continue increase vitality until you reach 40, all other points into intelligence until level 55.
At level 55 add vita until level 71.
Final stats: 80 - 35 = 45 str: 20 (no stats added) dex: 50 (no stats added) intel: 105, vita: 55
Abilities: until level 30 all points into power cast. At level 35+ choose either pierce or pillar or go both (slightly more efficient than doublecast)
Use Abilities at 50-100% charge.

Items:
Level 1
Due to a very small mana pool i recommend not casting until level 15. However we can use the mana to heal if needed
All the below items search for TIER III (0)
Weapon: 30+ Enhanced Effect Dagger or Staff (will call Enhanced Effect -> EE for the rest of this guide). Pay only 1-2 fg, get lower EE if necessary as level 1-4 mobs are easy.
Armor: Robe (If i say "robe" in this guide, assume i mean either robe or padded robe, both are fine) with 9+ Dex (should cost 1-2 fg)
Charm: Any charm with 9+ dex (should cost 1-2 fg)
Charm (2nd slot): Heal/Focused heal/Wild heal (will just call it "heal" for rest of the guide) 30ee+
Make sure you're attacking with your weapon, Press Q or if on phone press the weapon icon (should be a dagger if you're using a dagger or a staff if you're using a staff). To use the heal charm, press R or press on the heal charm

Level 5
Weapon: 40+ EE TIER IV (5) Should cost 1-2 fg
Armor - Dont bother, whatever you used for 1-5 is fine
Charm - Dont bother, whatever you used for 1-5 is fine
Charm (2nd slot) - Dont bother, whatever you used for 1-5 is fine
Should have 34 base vita at this level.

Level 10
Weapon: 40+ EE TIER V (10) Should cost 1-2 fg
Armor - Robe (see level 1 bold) Tier III to Tier V Check if any 15+ dex for 5 fg or less,
Charm - Check if any Tier III to Tier V 15+ dex for 5 fg or less,
Charm (2nd slot) HEAL - Check for Tier IV/V and VI (can't use VI until level 15) with 60+ee, Worth looking ahead at this stage for level 15 charms, the tier 3 purchased at level 1 will manage until level 15 if necessary.
Should have 39 base vita at this level, get 1 more at level 11, then rest into intel.

Got to this point? MAKE A MULE
Log out of the mage, create a new character, Any type best to use a rogue.
Log straight back out of the new character and back onto your mage, Transfer any gear you purchased or used to get to level 10 and no longer used on that mule.
This is NOT like diablo where you get a "max level" character and mobs get easier, mobs scale with your level, so when you reach level 71, you are better off completing the MQ and climbing back to 71 than to try and reach level 85, level 80 mobs will most likely kill you before you can kill 1 wave
So rather than buy new equipment to climb from level 1 again, use the stuff you got from your first climb and try and improve it!
If you find any items with +1 or 2 extra equipment slots, send them to the rogue, rogue can use anything except chains/plate mails, so are the most common to get items for, this just means they get a bit more room when these items are equipped.

Level 15
Weapon: 10+ Intelligence TIER III to VI Dagger or Staff Should cost 1-20 fg
Armor - Robe 10+ Intelligence Tier III to Tier VI Should cost 1-20 fg
Charm - Tier V to VI with 60+ EE Should cost 1-5 fg
Charm (2nd slot) HEAL - If you're still using the tier 3, have another look, a Tier V or VI with 40+ee is ideal.
Make sure you're attacking with your Charm, Press E or if on phone press the first charm icon (should be a fire if you're using a fire etc). To use the heal charm, press R or press on the heal charm

You'll notice you are using up mana, so you should start grabbing all items with +1 or better in the top left corner, when you are low on mana go to town and click on the shrine and throw some of those junk items at it for more mana/life :)

Level 20
Weapon: Use the intel weapon you bought at level 15
Armor - Use the intel robe you bought at level 15
Charm - Tier VI to VII with 50+ EE Should cost 1-5 fg, if you're already using VI, keep going
Charm (2nd slot) HEAL - Tier VI to VII with 50+ EE Should cost 1-5 fg, if you're already using VI, keep going

Level 25
Weapon: Use the intel weapon you bought at level 15
Armor - Use the intel robe you bought at level 15
Charm - Tier VII to VIII with 50+ EE Should cost 1-5 fg, if you're already using VII, keep going
Charm (2nd slot) HEAL - Tier VII to VIII with 50+ EE Should cost 1-5 fg, if you're already using VII, keep going

Level 30
Weapon: Search for All weapons with 25 or more intel. Spend upto 40 fg for a 25+ intel Dagger or Staff. This can be higher than your current level, use your current weapon until you reach the level required.
Armor - Search for All armors with 25 or more intel. Spend upto 40 fg for a 25+ Robe. This can be higher than your current level, use your current Robe until you reach the level required.
Charm - Tier VIII to IX with 50+ EE Should cost 1-5 fg, if you're already using VIII, you shouldnt need a new charm
Charm (2nd slot) HEAL - Tier VIII to IX with 50+ EE Should cost 1-5 fg, if you're already using VII, you shouldnt need a new charm

At this point you get the drill, improve your charm if possible, you do not care about any other stats on the weapon/armor other than intel. In some cases A lower tier item might deal more damage than a higher tier item.
For example a Level 20 tier VII charm with 100 ee will deal more damage than a tier IX charm with 50ee.
For more information on how to compare items, check here: https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=82816922&f=74

Level 35 onwards:
Charm - Improve as necessary every 5 or 10 levels
Charm (2nd slot) HEAL - Improve as necessary every 5 or 10 levels.

Level 55:
This is the last level which you can buy items for. Ideally you want an 80ee or better Level 50 or 55 charm and 60+ee level 50 or 55 heal charm. Should be willing to pay upto 30 fg for these. Getting higher EE on these items will significantly improve the speed of your climb.

Here's an example of what a search for your level 0 weapon and level 15 weapon should look like:

Shrining
I only get 3 image spots so had to combine with Marketplace, but shrining is incredibly important for casters when solo'ing, as it not only refills health but mana as well.
You will need to pick up almost everything which drops and throw it into the shrine at later levels.
However especially at level 55+, it may be necessary to wait in town and regen there

Mob Immunities
One of the more annoying aspects of playing a caster is that some mobs can become immune to an element for a period of time.
At level 15-30, i suggest just melee'ing it to death, even with a tier 4 weapon this shouldnt take too long.
At level 30+ i suggest casting a different charm, so if you're using a fire against one of the fire immunes, swap to a level 10 or 15 ice just to kill that mob and swap back afterwards.

Making Fg
As I will be unable to edit this topic, it makes more sense to have a topic I can update, for this I will be using a blog and will attempt to track updates:
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=84488632&f=276

In general at level 20+ you should begin finding items which sell.
Items may be worth something if they have the following stats:
50+ EE
15+ strength
15+ dex
15+ int
3+ Extra Equipment Slots
3+ Magic luck
12+ life regen
12+ mana regen

OR potentially a combination of the stats.

Using the forums
Don't be afraid to ask "stupid questions" in the main LS area, we were all new once, almost all the players will attempt to help you there.
In the LS trading, you could also consider making a topic, if you want an iso of all the suggested items, here's the iso, feel free to copy and paste:
Code
Hey, i am looking for the following items!
Cheap as possible please!
All items MUST be mage usable

Weapons:
Tier 3 staff/dagger with 30+ ee
level 5 staff/dagger with 40+ ee
level 10 staff/dagger with 40+ ee
Staff/dagger with at least 10 intel
Staff/dagger with at least 25 intel

Robes:
Tier 3 with 9+ dex
level 0/5/10 with 15+ dex
Robe with 10 + int
Robe with 25 + int

Charms:
Tier 3 charm with 9+ dex
Level 0/5/10 charm with 15+ dex

Caster charms:
Level 10,15,20,25,35,45,55 charms with 50+ee
Post 30,40,50's also
Heal charms
Level 0,10,15,20,25,35,45,55 charms with 50+ ee
post 30,40,50's also

Questions
You can also post questions here!
You should get an answer within a day

To answer a simple one: Should you use a mage or a fighter/barb?
In general the barb/fighter is the easier one to play, getting gear for level 40+ can be difficult
The mage is certainly harder especially at lower levels as you have very little health and keeping on top of the mana pool is also a pain, but the damage output is significantly higher than the barb for similar investment.

Good luck on the climb and don't forget to mule gear you've used so you can use it again next climb!

This post was edited by Bigheaded on Jan 7 2021 02:45pm
Gold: 11,325.69
Jan 8 2021 10:26am
Nice write up BH, always great information my friend.
Gold: 8,892.68
Jan 8 2021 11:25pm
As for immune and waiting 4 sec, you could just use the weapon (excluding Alchemist) during that time.

Good guide, glossed over it.
Gold: 1,663.73
Jan 9 2021 08:38am
Very nice guide!
Gold: 16,643.48
Jan 9 2021 08:38am
Quote (izParagonzi @ Jan 9 2021 05:25am)
As for immune and waiting 4 sec, you could just use the weapon (excluding Alchemist) during that time.

Good guide, glossed over it.

i actually find this helps to reset the immunity so you have to wait longer, this is more noticeable in group climbs where we have 5 casters all hitting with melee, as the ability triggers on being hit rather than on it's own attack. Unfortunately due to it triggering slightly before your attack hits, you can still just get unlucky where it goes immune, however this is much more common with the single element immunity guys, I believe sinseerical has a lower chance to trigger his ability.
Hence above the image i recommend just using a different cast charm against single element immunes whilst on sinseerical i recommend the town approach.
Didn't wish to go into details within the guide of why i do it that way, tried to keep it to the point, which is what bob888 did so well in his.

Just realised i forgot to explain how to transfer items to a mule, should anyone be reading this looking for that answer, it's an option in the marketplace which is free. Drag the item into the box, click the mule, click transfer. Super easy :)

and thanks guys for the compliments!

This post was edited by Bigheaded on Jan 9 2021 08:38am
Gold: 8,892.68
Jan 13 2021 03:19am
Quote (Bigheaded @ Jan 10 2021 03:38am)
i actually find this helps to reset the immunity so you have to wait longer, this is more noticeable in group climbs where we have 5 casters all hitting with melee, as the ability triggers on being hit rather than on it's own attack. Unfortunately due to it triggering slightly before your attack hits, you can still just get unlucky where it goes immune, however this is much more common with the single element immunity guys, I believe sinseerical has a lower chance to trigger his ability.
Hence above the image i recommend just using a different cast charm against single element immunes whilst on sinseerical i recommend the town approach.
Didn't wish to go into details within the guide of why i do it that way, tried to keep it to the point, which is what bob888 did so well in his.

A 5 caster group vs an Immune to Magical monster is all good if they all attack with either their Dagger or Staff because it is a physical attack x 5 group members per second... this is a hell of a lot better than 1 caster solo'ing in your depiction of the scenario.

Come on... 200-1000 phys damage vs 1 Magical immune monster per second is better than waiting a 4 second cool down period.

I use heavy weapons, and when I come across a Physical Immune monster and hit for 0, I switch to Heal for next action, and on the following action I attack with the heavy weapon, and if I hit a 0 again, I repeat with a heal actions, then attack with my heavy weapon etc... rinse and repeat until it dies... you can use the same method here... cast attack (0 hit for Immune ability)... Heal 3 times and then attack with cast and repeat rinse.

it is not Rocket Science, it is just logical thinking.
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll