d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Why No Purple?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,916.00
Warn: 30%
Jan 4 2021 11:46am
so you might have noticed that almost no countries have purple color on their flags. i love purple, so i noticed. and i wondered why. well apparently, purple was expensive af to make back in the BC era (before china), was made from some sea creatures or whatever :wacko: so if you were in ancient egypt and you had purple clothes, you were the shit :drool: purple meant you were rich because only rich people could afford it!

so my question is, why not just mix red and blue to get purple :mellow: ? just get the red stuff (dirt cheap), the blue stuff (also dirt cheap), and make profits!

ty

men
Gold: 100,000.69
Jan 26 2021 06:06am
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 9 2021 04:20pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jan 4 2021 12:46pm)
so you might have noticed that almost no countries have purple color on their flags. i love purple, so i noticed. and i wondered why. well apparently, purple was expensive af to make back in the BC era (before china), was made from some sea creatures or whatever :wacko: so if you were in ancient egypt and you had purple clothes, you were the shit :drool: purple meant you were rich because only rich people could afford it!

so my question is, why not just mix red and blue to get purple :mellow: ? just get the red stuff (dirt cheap), the blue stuff (also dirt cheap), and make profits!

ty

men

Colors have meaning when it comes to representation

You dont get to add purple just cuz it looks nice

This post was edited by Amonshrine on Mar 9 2021 04:39pm
Gold: 260.11
Mar 11 2021 08:06pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jan 4 2021 11:46am)

ty

men

Dyes weren't cheap. Purple was the most expensive, but don't mix that up with thinking the others were cheap. Dyes were an absolute luxury, something only the elite could afford in any meaningful quantity.

The color you get from mixing purple and blue is a deep dingy kinda-purple. Closer to brownish blue. To get real purple you needed a naturally purple dye, which was from mollusks and was expensive as hell, or you needed very specific reds and blues which likely just didn't exist at the time.

https://www.celebratingcolor.com/red-blue-dont-make-purple-2/

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Mar 11 2021 08:06pm
Gold: 3,207.00
Mar 11 2021 09:53pm
ouuf... no idea bro lol
Gold: 4,673.69
Mar 16 2021 09:11am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 12 Mar 2021 03:06)
Dyes weren't cheap. Purple was the most expensive, but don't mix that up with thinking the others were cheap. Dyes were an absolute luxury, something only the elite could afford in any meaningful quantity.

The color you get from mixing purple and blue is a deep dingy kinda-purple. Closer to brownish blue. To get real purple you needed a naturally purple dye, which was from mollusks and was expensive as hell, or you needed very specific reds and blues which likely just didn't exist at the time.

https://www.celebratingcolor.com/red-blue-dont-make-purple-2/

I heard it did not mix well to make purple

Also, some dyes were expensive indeed, but some was really dirtcheap. For example you could get a really nice brigh yellow die from boiling and soaking fabric in piss... :D Sure, you had to wash and rinse a few times after to get rid of the smell :rofl:
And there were cheap alternatives to most colours. Basicly if you picked flowers and used the soak and boil method you could get a nice result. Some dies needed a base to stick on the fabric, but that is another topic.
Gold: 342.00
Mar 19 2021 08:07pm
I guess purple doesn't really show a significant meaning in a lot of the cultures
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll