d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Does Anybody Know How Weapon Ratios Work?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 13,266.28
Dec 31 2020 10:50am
Quote (Newb. @ Dec 31 2020 04:44pm)
Yeah for sure. I’m definitely going all strength as far as looking for gear I just wasn’t sure if there was a magical number where if I sacrificed a small amount of strength for a large amount of dex if it would be worth it or not

until someone does significant amounts of testing on critical strike, the answer is it's not worth it ;)
However until the testing is done i can't prove whether one is better than the other, so it's basically opinions.

the way i read otters post is he was suggested as an example if you had 214 str and 70 dex on ninja that it would be worthwhile to put the next point into dex. to make the 75:25 ratio at 214/71.
I however would recommend putting it into strength and having 215/70.

that was how i read this statement anyway:
What standard best practice tells you is to keep as close as you can do the actual ratio for best average damage.

So playing on a ninja, with starting Dex of 70 with swords as an example you can put up to 210 str without breaking that ratio.
Gold: 210.00
Dec 31 2020 11:23am
Quote (Bigheaded @ Dec 31 2020 08:50am)
until someone does significant amounts of testing on critical strike, the answer is it's not worth it ;)
However until the testing is done i can't prove whether one is better than the other, so it's basically opinions.

the way i read otters post is he was suggested as an example if you had 214 str and 70 dex on ninja that it would be worthwhile to put the next point into dex. to make the 75:25 ratio at 214/71.

Perfect. Appreciate it! :)
Gold: 74,290.21
Dec 31 2020 11:27am
Quote (Bigheaded @ Dec 31 2020 08:50am)

I mean. Look at about a year ago in the guides area. They did a significant amount of testing directly on stats and critical differences. Rex is good for some things.

Having higher amounts of the secondary stat equalled higher critical ratio with a statistical significant spread

Of course you can't forget that this is LS where ithe rules are all made up and the points don't matter.

But everything equal particularly considering the reducing returns on stats as you get higher, I would argue that last stat in Dex would probably be more beneficial.

That being said. Always room for being shown correct data.

Where is this data on "it's actually just randomly 3/4 Street adds add damage Not a pure damage calculator based on how much you have."

And also the equal damage with three relatively drastic ratio differences with axes.

Dec 31 2020 12:45pm
Quote (a_hotter_otter @ Dec 31 2020 05:27pm)
I mean. Look at about a year ago in the guides area. They did a significant amount of testing directly on stats and critical differences. Rex is good for some things.

Having higher amounts of the secondary stat equalled higher critical ratio with a statistical significant spread

Of course you can't forget that this is LS where ithe rules are all made up and the points don't matter.

But everything equal particularly considering the reducing returns on stats as you get higher, I would argue that last stat in Dex would probably be more beneficial.

this is why i said i "disagreed" with you and didn't necessarily say you were wrong. Whilst sajan's information was just wrong hence why i stated he was wrong.

I am happy to leave it at we agree to disagree of where that last point should go, i don't believe you have enough evidence to suggest where the stat point should go either.

Where is this data on "it's actually just randomly 3/4 Street adds add damage Not a pure damage calculator based on how much you have."

Most easily shown with axes, as all odd digits do not add damage. it doesn't matter if you have a 230 ee axe with 30 axe prof, going from 230 to 231 strength or dex (or any other even number to odd), will NOT cause damage to be added to the damage shown in your character screen.
Can do the test yourself. Use a tier 3 axe with 60 ee, add 1 str with a barb, add 1 base str will NOT affect the damage when you press C

I know it's the same with all the other weapons, i just am unsure what the breakpoints are. Just for curiousity's sake perhaps i'll give those numbers as that's something very easy to state as being fact.
I should be able to get the numbers at level 1 thinking about it as i believe it will be consistent.

also to be clear, it's not "random". lets suggest we're increasing from 60 to 70 strength, exactly 1 strength from your base 10 will not add damage if you're using a club as a weapon, whilst it will be exactly 2 or 3. It will also be the same strength value every single time, think of it as breakpoints, not randomness.

And also the equal damage with three relatively drastic ratio differences with axes.

pretty simple on the axes, equip an axe, use a 30 str charm swap for a 30 dex charm and notice 0 difference.
I will admit i've not bothered doing that one myself, i just know it has been checked and is one of the easier ones to check.

Perhaps if time permits i'll do it myself.

This post was edited by Bigheaded on Dec 31 2020 12:48pm
Dec 31 2020 12:49pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Dec 31 2020 10:45am)
this is why i said i "disagreed" with you and didn't necessarily say you were wrong. Whilst sajan's information was just wrong hence why i stated he was wrong.

I am happy to leave it at we agree to disagree of where that last point should go, i don't believe you have enough evidence to suggest where the stat point should go either.

Most easily shown with axes, as all odd digits do not add damage. it doesn't matter if you have a 230 ee axe with 30 axe prof, going from 230 to 231 strength or dex (or any other even number to odd), will NOT cause damage to be added to the damage shown in your character screen.
Can do the test yourself. Use a tier 3 axe with 60 ee, add 1 str with a barb, add 1 base str will NOT affect the damage when you press C

I know it's the same with all the other weapons, i just am unsure what the breakpoints are. Just for curiousity's sake perhaps i'll give those numbers as that's something very easy to state as being fact.
I should be able to get the numbers at level 1 thinking about it as i believe it will be consistent.

also to be clear, it's not "random". lets suggest we're increasing from 60 to 70 strength, exactly 1 strength from your base 10 will not add damage if you're using a club as a weapon, whilst it will be exactly 2 or 3. It will also be the same strength value every single time, think of it as breakpoints, not randomness.

pretty simple on the axes, equip an axe, use a 30 str charm swap for a 30 dex charm and notice 0 difference.
I will admit i've not bothered doing that one myself, i just know it has been checked and is one of the easier ones to check.

Perhaps if time permits i'll do it myself.

allright, you are gunna have to carry me next climb then when i put zero stats in until MQ and im going to count that sucker, how many boosts to damage each time i add a str :banana: should be fun.

that would actually make it really easy to calculate everything IF that was true
Dec 31 2020 12:53pm
Quote (a_hotter_otter @ Dec 31 2020 06:49pm)
allright, you are gunna have to carry me next climb then when i put zero stats in until MQ and im going to count that sucker, how many boosts to damage each time i add a str :banana: should be fun.

that would actually make it really easy to calculate everything IF that was true

i believe it's even easier than that.

I'll see if i can proof of concept on a level 5 barb, with 25 stat points remaining. The time where the 1 strength doesn't add damage should be every 10 levels, so will be able to spot which one that is with an 80ee club. results soon

This post was edited by Bigheaded on Dec 31 2020 12:54pm
Dec 31 2020 12:56pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Dec 31 2020 10:53am)
i believe it's even easier than that.

I'll see if i can proof of concept on a level 5 barb, with 25 stat points remaining. The time where the 1 strength doesn't add damage should be every 10 levels, so will be able to spot which one that is with an 80ee club. results soon

yea but at a high level with a high level sword you have the widest change of the max damage, so you are guaranteed to *notice* any changes per stat.
Dec 31 2020 01:01pm
Quote (a_hotter_otter @ Dec 31 2020 06:56pm)
yea but at a high level with a high level sword you have the widest change of the max damage, so you are guaranteed to *notice* any changes per stat.

I can just have the item in my inventory and screenshot the damage changes at each strength. So can use a level 50 club 22x ee if that's your concern. Could probably have done the test at level 1 thinking about it, perhaps i'll do that to confirm and use +strength from my items to get numbers from 60-100+
Dec 31 2020 01:33pm

With only 4 points of strength i can show proof of concept:

Notice the Staff as well gets +1 damage from 4 points from strength so i can already tell you breakpoints of staffs:
60/64/68/72/76/80/84 etc. Any time you reach those numbers of strength, your damage will increase. increasing to 61/62/63 or increasing to 65/66/67 will NOT increase damage.

Swords get 3 in every 4 (75:25) gain damage for strength.
60/62/63/64/66/67/68/70/71/72. So basically 61 and then every 4 strength above that will NOT add damage.

Can also see for clubs, no damage increase from 60 to 61 strength, i just added some more strength and all the above suggested values are correct
Not on the screenshot here's the numbers for clubs:
Clubs will gain damage for these values of strength:
60/62/63/64/65/66/67/68/69/70/72/73
Or more easily writted, they do not gain damage for any value ending in a 1.
so 61/71/81 etc will NOT increase a clubs damage.
Dec 31 2020 01:41pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Dec 31 2020 11:33am)
^a_hotter_otter

With only 4 points of strength i can show proof of concept:
https://i.imgur.com/j0XsNx0.png

Notice the Staff as well gets +1 damage from 4 points from strength so i can already tell you breakpoints of staffs:
60/64/68/72/76/80/84 etc. Any time you reach those numbers of strength, your damage will increase. increasing to 61/62/63 or increasing to 65/66/67 will NOT increase damage.

Swords get 3 in every 4 (75:25) gain damage for strength.
60/62/63/64/66/67/68/70/71/72. So basically 61 and then every 4 strength above that will NOT add damage.

Can also see for clubs, no damage increase from 60 to 61 strength, i just added some more strength and all the above suggested values are correct
Not on the screenshot here's the numbers for clubs:
Clubs will gain damage for these values of strength:
60/62/63/64/65/66/67/68/69/70/72/73
Or more easily writted, they do not gain damage for any value ending in a 1.
so 61/71/81 etc will NOT increase a clubs damage.

thats a great start.

now we have to correlate the Increase in value each stat and if it actually works for a wide range of numbers not just 60-75.

but that really really is a great start. :cheers:
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll