d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > What Do You Drive? Any Toyota Fans?
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Members++
Gold: 10,119.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 11 2021 10:58pm
Quote (Sapo92 @ Mar 11 2021 11:37pm)
nice rig buddy

heres my 2002 "badlands" edition

plasti dipped the whole thing awhile ago, hood came out a little stripey i think it needed a touch more xylene in the mix to thin it out a bit.

https://i.imgur.com/W9KWHeM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nydHBMG.jpg

Actually came out pretty good. I have the plastidip compressor and stuff ready to do my 97 firebird just to get it one color and sold. Didn’t know you had to thin the dip out. Lol. Any tips?
Gold: 0.00
Mar 11 2021 11:26pm
Quote (OEM @ 11 Mar 2021 20:58)
Actually came out pretty good. I have the plastidip compressor and stuff ready to do my 97 firebird just to get it one color and sold. Didn’t know you had to thin the dip out. Lol. Any tips?

Well ive been in the coatings industry for over a decade now.
Painted planes trains automobiles, you name it ive done it.
That was my first use of the plasti dip and i was actually really impressed with how it came out. In terms of overall performance i find it works great, sticks good to the previous coating without having to sand or scuff and ruin the previous finish prior to application, but you can also throw rocks at it and it doesnt break the coating It feels very soft even when full dry.. vehicle Just needs a real good clean before application. Only problem is it fades quiet easily, doesnt really have any uv reflective qualities. I just use it to protect my original finish since im pretty rough on my vehicles.

One thing you want to do is wash your vehicle and then really let it dry for a couple of days preferably indoors so it doesnt get dirty again and most of the moisture can evaporate.

Second in order to have sucess when you want to remove it ie : in nice big peices you have to apply numerous heavy coats of the stuff, and respect the dry time inbetween coats in order to minimize bubbling or pockets forming in any grooves on the vehicle body.

I applied 4 coats @ 10 mils per coat while letting it dry 2 hours in between each coat. You have to put it on thick this is a must. My 3rd gen i used 6 gallons. If not when comes time for removal you will be tearing 1 or 2 inch chuncks at a time lol.

I sprayed it with a 395 graco airless sprayer that i use for spraying out walls doors and shit like that in new build houses.

The airless sprayer (depending on tip size obvious’ly) lets you apply a lot of product at one time onto the substrate, way more so than the gun that is supplied with the dip kit or w/e

Youll see once you open the can its pretty thick so If you're doing large panels or a full car in order to keep the product wet while applicating you have to thin it with xylene as per manufacturers spécifications.

Im going to be doing my 5th gen this summer in army green im really looking forward to that.

Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll