d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Basketball > Official Athletic Paywall Request Thread
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,267.63
Jul 5 2021 05:34pm
Quote (Cbramgar @ Jul 4 2021 07:25pm)
Group: Member
Gold: Locked
Guild: Transcend

:rofl: :rofl:

Try again
Gold: 0.00
Jul 5 2021 07:43pm
Quote (WhyWhyWhinecones @ Jul 5 2021 10:34pm)
Try again

you up to bat next?

Gold: 2,267.63
Jul 6 2021 04:14am
Quote (Cbramgar @ Jul 5 2021 09:43pm)
you up to bat next?

Always
Jul 6 2021 05:46am
Quote (WhyWhyWhinecones @ Jul 6 2021 09:14am)
Always

soft
Gold: 16,697.00
Jul 6 2021 10:44am
Quote (WhyWhyWhinecones @ 6 Jul 2021 06:14)
Always

Quote (Cbramgar @ 6 Jul 2021 07:46)
soft

I know reading comprehension is hard for you two fucking cockroaches but would you mind not spamming the thread you two broke poor mother fucking pieces of shit
Jul 6 2021 10:56am
Quote (Crunkt @ Jul 6 2021 03:44pm)
I know reading comprehension is hard for you two fucking cockroaches but would you mind not spamming the thread you two broke poor mother fucking pieces of shit

:rofl:
Gold: 28,273.00
Jul 6 2021 11:07am
Quote (Cbramgar @ Jul 6 2021 04:46am)
soft

as a rock
Gold: 16,697.00
Jul 15 2021 12:43pm
Quote (Izzo4Rizzo @ 11 Jul 2021 21:30)

sorry brother I didnt see this

Pistons trade possibilities: Who says no in 8 potential deals for No. 1 pick in NBA Draft?
By James L. Edwards III Jul 8, 2021 225

Troy Weaver’s phone hasn’t stopped buzzing since June 22. It probably won’t until the Pistons officially announce who they’re taking with the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft on July 29.

Detroit’s general manager is likely going to select Oklahoma State’s Cade Cunningham. Jalen Green and Evan Mobley, too, are being considered as the newest addition to Detroit’s roster. Even though Cunningham seems to be the clear frontrunner, a bulletproof piece to build a franchise around, Weaver and Co. are going to listen to pitches for one of the best recurring assets in the NBA: the No. 1 pick.

Here, we’re going to examine and analyze the best deals that teams picking in the top 10 could offer the Pistons for the No. 1 pick, with insight and perspective from The Athletic writers covering the squads on the other side.
New Orleans Pelicans

Offer: Pelicans trade Brandon Ingram and the No. 10 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft to the Pistons for pick No. 1 in the 2021 NBA Draft, Cory Joseph, Mason Plumlee and Josh Jackson

While Ingram, 23, fits Detroit’s timeline, is a proven scorer and remains under contract for four more seasons, I’m not sure he raises the Pistons’ ceiling like Cunningham might, particularly when you factor in that Cunningham will be on a rookie deal for several years and might be the next best thing.

Detroit is better right away with Ingram, and the No. 10 pick could get Detroit a player it likes, but the future isn’t as optimistic as the team’s financial flexibility immediately diminishes some. I also don’t love the fit. Ingram is a good player who gives the Pistons another legitimate scoring threat, but his addition would force Saddiq Bey to defend quicker guards, and I’m not sure that’s the best use of what he brings defensively. It would be a bit wonky.

I don’t think Detroit would do this.

Pelicans beat writer Will Guillory: “With the pressure New Orleans is facing to surround Zion Williamson with a winning team, it’s hard to see them shipping an All-Star talent like Ingram away for an unproven rookie. As talented as Cunningham appears to be, it’ll take some time for him to find his way. Maybe the Pels can use the No. 1 pick as a way to swoop in and grab Damian Lillard from Portland, but making the salaries work in a Lillard trade would be difficult without Ingram’s max deal.”
Sacramento Kings

Offer: Kings trade Tyrese Haliburton, the No. 9 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft and their 2023 first-round pick for the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft and Mason Plumlee

I’d imagine that the Pistons still think more highly of Killian Hayes, who was drafted No. 7 overall in last year’s draft, than they do Haliburton, who Detroit passed on, even though Haliburton had an impressive rookie season. I also don’t see Sacramento being willing to deal De’Aaron Fox right now, and it would be a chore for the Pistons to get enough salaries together to complete a deal financially — assuming Jerami Grant is off the table.

Haliburton would provide more stable versatility at the guard spots for Detroit, as he can seamlessly float between lead-guard duties and a shooting guard role. He and Hayes would fit well together. However, I still wonder about his upside. Can he elevate himself to an All-Star level? Or will he settle in as a good role player? There are reasons to believe both outcomes are possible.

All in all, three lottery-level picks wouldn’t be a bad haul for the No. 1 pick, but Cunningham’s upside as a top-10 player in the NBA makes me believe the Pistons still say no to this deal.

Kings beat writer Jason Jones: “The Kings love Haliburton’s play and his intangibles. Then again, if Cade Cunningham is a talent on a superstar trajectory, you do what you have to do to draft him.”
Orlando Magic

Offer: Magic trade the Nos. 5 and 8 picks in the 2021 NBA Draft and Wendell Carter Jr. for the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft and Mason Plumlee

When you’re a rebuilding team landing the No. 1 pick for the first time in many, many decades, it’s probably a good idea to just stand pat and take who you think will be the best player. However, this deal is … interesting.

Let’s start with the picks. Detroit would get two top-10 selections this year, and while many pundits, scouts and executives feel there is a decent-sized drop-off in talent after pick No. 4, the Pistons do like players who are slated to be selected later than that. After it was revealed that Detroit would get the top choice, Weaver said that the Pistons would consider five players with the No. 1 pick. So, to connect dots, someone they really like will be there at No. 5. Lastly, maybe it’s possible that the Pistons could package those two picks to move up to Nos. 2-4 and leave draft night with a combo of Jalen Green and Carter Jr. or Jalen Suggs and Carter Jr.

As for Carter Jr., he’s a talented, young big man with a long wingspan, good energy and high upside as a rim protector. A frontcourt with him and Isaiah Stewart would annoy opposing teams for many years. Carter Jr. does have one season left on his rookie deal before hitting restricted free agency. Detroit, though, shouldn’t have an issue bringing him back if the fit works and he continues to show promise.

Ultimately, I think the Pistons say no. But it’s a deal I’d heavily consider.

Magic beat writer Josh Robbins: “Would the Magic agree to this deal? I think the answer is 99.9 percent certain they would agree. Having the top-overall pick — and being able to draft Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green — would give the franchise a chance to draft its first superstar since it traded Dwight Howard nearly a decade ago. Maybe the Magic’s draft experts know something the rest of the world does not, but I suspect they would conclude Cunningham has a greater chance to become a cornerstone player than anyone who would be available at No. 5 and No. 8.”
Golden State Warriors

Offer: Warriors trade picks Nos. 7 and 14 in the 2021 NBA Draft and James Wiseman for the No. 1 pick and Mason Plumlee

This isn’t a terrible offer, especially because the Pistons, per sources, would have strongly considered Wiseman with the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft had they landed it. However, the 2021 NBA Draft is more top-heavy than last year’s class, and Wiseman’s rookie season wasn’t met with great applause.

I do think Detroit thinks about this deal, but I can’t see them doing it. The upside of the top three players in this class (Cunningham, Green and Evan Mobley), I believe, exceed that of Wiseman. Additionally, picks Nos. 7 and 14 just don’t move the needle enough.

Warriors beat writer Anthony Slater: “This would be the Warriors consolidating their three lottery picks from the past two years to jump up and get a smart, ready-made wing, Cade Cunningham, who most of us believe could help them win now with Steph Curry and then take the keys to the franchise once Curry ages out. That’s worth it. The value of the package they’d send away is dependent on what Detroit thinks of Wiseman and the mid-to-late-lottery guys available in this draft.”
Oklahoma City Thunder

Offer: Thunder trade pick No. 6 in the 2021 NBA Draft and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander to the Pistons for the No. 1 pick

Whew. This is one I’ve thought about since Detroit landed the No. 1 pick, and it’s the first offer that I’m not sure either team does but could be significantly beneficial for both.

From a Pistons perspective, the soon-to-be-23-year-old Gilgeous-Alexander is a promising young guard who, before being sidelined last season, was a beast. In 35 games, SGA averaged a career-high 23.7 points and 5.9 assists while shooting 41.8 percent from 3 and holding a true-shooting percentage of 62.3. He carries great upside, has already proven to be productive in the NBA and fits Detroit’s timeline. Additionally, the Pistons would be able to get someone else they like with the No. 6 pick.

Now, why would the Thunder do this deal? Good question, James. It doesn’t seem like one they have to. OKC can build around Gilgeous-Alexander and their literal dozens of draft picks to grow the team through the draft or go all-in on a trade or two. Also, SGA and No. 6 could be considered too much for the No. 1 pick, depending on how Sam Presti and Co. view their young guard going forward. However, I think most scouts and execs would say that Cunningham has more upside than SGA, even though Cunningham hasn’t played an NBA game. So there is risk. On top of that, Cunningham played his college ball in Oklahoma. He’d be the perfect face for the rebuild in Oklahoma City as the team endures several years of rebuilding.

I don’t know. It’s a good deal for both sides. I wouldn’t be surprised if both teams said yes or both teams said no.

Thunder writer/contributor Andrew Schlect: “This is a deal the Thunder say yes to if they are looking for a hard reset on their timeline. Shai was great for them last year and brought them above the level of a bottom-five team in the NBA. It’s no secret the Thunder want to build their next iteration through the draft, but how committed are they to having Shai lead them? Cade Cunningham offers high upside plus a way to get younger and worse next year, getting them in line for a top-five pick in a loaded 2022 draft.”
Toronto Raptors

Offer: Raptors trade the No. 4 pick in 2021 NBA Draft and OG Anunoby to the Pistons for the No. 1 pick, Mason Plumlee and Cory Joseph

Detroit would get a really good player at No. 4 as well as Anunoby, a rising, soon-to-be 24-year-old on a really good contract for the next four seasons.

Of course, the trade-off is losing the No. 1 pick, as Cunningham could be a top-10 player in the NBA five years from now, but there’s certainly a world in which whoever the Pistons land at No. 4 ends up being the best player in this class, whether it’s Mobley or Suggs. As for Anunoby, well, he’s a two-way talent who fits Detroit’s culture and, essentially, shot 40 percent from 3 the last two seasons.

I don’t see the Raptors having enough to entice Detroit to consider trading the No. 1 pick unless Anunoby is involved.

Raptors beat writer Blake Murphy: “We run into a couple of complications with this one. The first is that Anunoby is under the poison pill provision until the moratorium, so a deal would be easier if it’s a handshake agreement to make the swap later. The Raptors taking back Plumlee serves a real purpose given their center woes (the 10-percent trade kicker isn’t too arduous). The bigger problem is that flipping Anunoby for a top pick (and valuing Plumlee) seems counter to the strategy they’d be employing if they’re leaning in to a brighter future around Cunningham. Anunoby is only 23 and under a very good contract for four years. I think the Raptors would prefer to have the combination of Anunoby and whoever they land at No. 4 rather than Cunningham alone with one of their best complementary pieces gone. Having said that, I think the Raptors would be willing to offer you just about whatever you need in pick equity to get a deal done without Anunoby.”
Cleveland Cavaliers

Offer: The Cavs trade the No. 3 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, a 2023 first-round pick and Isaac Okoro for the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft

If I’m Detroit, there’s no one on the Cavs’ roster that I really, really want in order to lighten the load of draft capital in a trade. Collin Sexton is a good player but the Pistons would have to pay him soon. Darius Garland is good, too, but I don’t see the Pistons really wanting him. Okoro can defend and has potential offensively, but he’s got to grow on that end.

When Cleveland calls, the conversation has to start with, at minimum, two first-round picks and something else of good value, given the chance that the No. 2 player on my board might not be available at No. 3.

Cavs beat writer Kelsey Russo: “This could be an enticing move because landing the No. 1 pick would put Cleveland in prime position to take Cunningham, who would be a perfect fit. As a big wing who can initiate, he’s exactly the type of player the Cavs need to add to their roster. Even so, I think Cleveland would be hard-pressed to include Okoro in this trade package, since they view him as a piece of their young core they want to continue building around.”
Houston Rockets

Offer: Rockets trade the No. 2 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft, the No. 23 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft and its own first-round pick in the 2023 NBA Draft for the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NBA Draft

This deal, essentially, comes down to what Weaver thinks of Green — or Mobley or Suggs — in comparison to Cunningham. If he projects Green to be as good or better than Cunningham, why not move back a spot and collect future assets? On the other hand, it’s possible, too, that the Rockets may view the likes of Green, Mobley or Suggs as close to comparable to Cunningham and wouldn’t be willing to give up more than one additional first-round pick to move up.

Even with the Pistons really liking Green, as myself and other colleagues have previously reported, Cunningham is the frontrunner to go No. 1. It all comes down to how Weaver and Houston general manager Rafael Stone view Cunningham in comparison to the rest of the field.

Rockets beat writer Kelly Iko: “I think it comes down to what you said earlier; the opportunity cost in taking Cunningham over Green or vice versa — I think Houston would be happy with either. The key, from Houston’s angle, would be how they internally see their 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons panning out. If they believe they’ll be competitive by 2023, I could see them agreeing to something like this like we’ve seen them treat future firsts in the past.”
Go Back To Basketball Topic List
Prev145678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll