d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Bookburning 2020
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Nov 27 2020 12:24am
Quote (duffman316 @ Nov 27 2020 12:12am)
he seems like a decent fellow who means well and happens to have a following amongst a male demographic who credit him with helping them, never got what was so controversial about him

He went out of his way to lie about trans issues for one.

He got his fame from the Canadian bill claiming it would cause people to get arrested for accidental misgendering.

When in reality it was just adding intentional and hostile misgendering to the hostile work environment codes. Like if your boss intentionally called you nancy girl that would be a hostile work environment, and similarly if you transitioned and got everything in order but your boss repeatedly and intentionally degraded you by calling you your old gender.

He was corrected many, many, MANY times and never admitted he was wrong even though the Canadian Bar Association actually went out of their way to clarify the scope of the law because of the kind of crap he was spreading.

This was just the first event that got him famous, and infamous. There's been more since then, but this should give you a good idea that he's not somebody working in good faith and is just raking in money from a right wing grift.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Nov 27 2020 12:24am
Gold: 88.21
Nov 27 2020 12:25am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Nov 26 2020 10:24pm)

He got his fame from the Canadian bill claiming it would cause people to get arrested for accidental misgendering.

When in reality it was just adding intentional and hostile misgendering to the hostile work environment codes. Like if your boss intentionally called you nancy girl that would be a hostile work environment, and similarly if you transitioned and got everything in order but your boss repeatedly and intentionally degraded you by calling you your old gender.

He was corrected many, many, MANY times and never admitted he was wrong even though the Canadian Bar Association actually went out of their way to clarify the scope of the law because of the kind of crap he was spreading.

watch out, this guy reads the new york times

edit: sorry if calling you 'guy' was misgendering

This post was edited by proccy on Nov 27 2020 12:25am
Gold: 500.00
Nov 27 2020 12:33am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Nov 27 2020 01:24am)

This was just the first event that got him famous, and infamous. There's been more since then, but this should give you a good idea that he's not somebody working in good faith and is just raking in money from a right wing grift.

i'm well aware of the c-16 hysteria in canada drummed up by peterson and none of the problems he raised became an issue iirc

he's quite civil, says a lot of stuff that makes sense to some folks, has a following and wants to sell a few books. there are people out there who say he changed their life for the better so i say live and let live

don't think he's the deep thinker he's been made out to be but i see no harm in this

-to clarify i don't think he say some of the disagreeable things that he does out of malice

This post was edited by duffman316 on Nov 27 2020 12:36am
Gold: 260.11
Nov 27 2020 12:37am
Quote (duffman316 @ Nov 27 2020 12:33am)
i'm well aware of the c-16 hysteria in canada drummed up by peterson and none of the problems he raised became an issue iirc

he's quite civil, says a lot of stuff that makes sense to some folks, has a following and wants to sell a few books. there are people out there who say he changed their life for the better so i say live and let live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvS2Re21Og
don't think he's the deep thinker he's been made out to be but i see no harm in this

Live and let live doesn't mean you publish their books. People tend to ignore that free speech also means the right to petition others to not do things.

You can't really criticize somebody for saying "I don't think we should platform this" by saying they're going against free speech, because the criticism of others is also free speech, and free speech does not mean right to a platform.

Personally I think JP is a really obvious grifter. He's clearly in it for the money, and has come damn close to saying as much when talking about how much he loves the left for getting his patreon more attention and getting his books sold, and the fact that he can be corrected multiple times over and won't budge an inch because it gets him paid.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Nov 27 2020 03:03am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 27 Nov 2020 07:37)
Live and let live doesn't mean you publish their books. People tend to ignore that free speech also means the right to petition others to not do things.

You can't really criticize somebody for saying "I don't think we should platform this" by saying they're going against free speech, because the criticism of others is also free speech, and free speech does not mean right to a platform.

Personally I think JP is a really obvious grifter. He's clearly in it for the money, and has come damn close to saying as much when talking about how much he loves the left for getting his patreon more attention and getting his books sold, and the fact that he can be corrected multiple times over and won't budge an inch because it gets him paid.

it's the same story over and over again, right wing snowflakes clutching their pearls over alleged violations of free speech while ignoring that the other side has the same right. that's how some idiots arrive at the absurd conclusion that disagreeing with a publisher is the same as burning books, lol.
Gold: 17,384.69
Nov 27 2020 04:25am
Look, here's the credit i give to this topic:

Gold: 101.80
Warn: 70%
Nov 27 2020 08:38am
Quote (Fooba @ Nov 26 2020 12:49pm)
As a stupid leaf, I can speak from experience and say - yes.

Nov 27 2020 08:39am
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Nov 27 2020 06:25am)
Look, here's the credit i give to this topic:

https://i.imgur.com/IDoWmvr.mp4

whoa that's trippy
Gold: 17,384.69
Nov 27 2020 08:48am
Quote (SuperSpreader @ 27 Nov 2020 15:39)
whoa that's trippy

You know it

Nov 27 2020 08:55am
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Nov 27 2020 10:48am)
You know it

https://i.imgur.com/nZI80ED.mp4

lol awesome clip
when she wakes up still 100 meters in the air lol
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll