d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Wonder Woman 1984
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,025.00
Nov 18 2020 08:54pm
It's been announced that it will release online the same date that it's theatrical release (December 25).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-1984-heading-to-hbo-max-theaters-dec-25

I really hope this goes well and they see good sale figures from this decision as I would really like it if the world started shifting in this direction.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Nov 20 2020 10:57am
I can't imagine sales will come anywhere close to what a theater release would. You have loads of people that will watch it online since HD will be available day one (if not earlier) and even if they continue to charge $20-$30/viewing, most of those are going to be families that would have spent more had they gone to see it.

I agree that this direction is the way to go, but profitability is their only driving factor and this will diminish overall sales, especially in the short-run. For good movies with low exposure though, like Serenity for instance, they could do much much better with a home release.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Nov 20 2020 10:59am
Nov 20 2020 02:03pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 20 Nov 2020 09:57)
I can't imagine sales will come anywhere close to what a theater release would. You have loads of people that will watch it online since HD will be available day one (if not earlier) and even if they continue to charge $20-$30/viewing, most of those are going to be families that would have spent more had they gone to see it.

I agree that this direction is the way to go, but profitability is their only driving factor and this will diminish overall sales, especially in the short-run. For good movies with low exposure though, like Serenity for instance, they could do much much better with a home release.

Yeah I mean obviously they won't make as much, but that doesn't mean they won't make enough. I also think it would make rewatching easier for people. Yes there are those that go to the theatre 3-5 times, but there must also be people like me who want to rewatch but don't really want to go to the theatre again.
Nov 20 2020 04:27pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Nov 20 2020 12:03pm)
Yeah I mean obviously they won't make as much, but that doesn't mean they won't make enough. I also think it would make rewatching easier for people. Yes there are those that go to the theatre 3-5 times, but there must also be people like me who want to rewatch but don't really want to go to the theatre again.

With these home rentals you usually get the film for either 2-3 watches or 24 to 72 hours. I don't see the revenue being made up there.

I think it'd be nice if going forward, even once all this is in the past, that both options are either immediately available or the streaming option is available within like a month of release. That way you can have your big box office opening and then people who don't enjoy the theater experience, or who dont think the title looks good enough to go somewhere, still have the option to see it and talk about it while the film is relative.

Of course their fear is piracy, but most pirates (at least all the ones I've known) don't mind waiting. If they have to wait 3 to 6 months for a watchable copy or if they can get it day one, it doesn't matter.
Nov 20 2020 05:19pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 20 Nov 2020 15:27)
With these home rentals you usually get the film for either 2-3 watches or 24 to 72 hours. I don't see the revenue being made up there.

I think it'd be nice if going forward, even once all this is in the past, that both options are either immediately available or the streaming option is available within like a month of release. That way you can have your big box office opening and then people who don't enjoy the theater experience, or who dont think the title looks good enough to go somewhere, still have the option to see it and talk about it while the film is relative.

Of course their fear is piracy, but most pirates (at least all the ones I've known) don't mind waiting. If they have to wait 3 to 6 months for a watchable copy or if they can get it day one, it doesn't matter.

I haven't used digital rentals before so I'm not sure about the time scale but I'll just trust you. I was thinking extra rentals could be encouraged by reducing the price. Like $30 for the first which is 24hr then 10-15 for each consecutive rental on the same account.
Gold: 63,142.89
Nov 25 2020 06:53pm
seeing WW84 fold under the pressure after holding out all summer certainly helps us see which way the wind is blowing. This was the big one that they were holding onto, but they finally let it go.

Quote (Blah58 @ Nov 18 2020 10:54pm)
I really hope this goes well and they see good sale figures from this decision as I would really like it if the world started shifting in this direction.

hopefully, studios recognize that there isn't as much reward for investing in a big budget action CGI blockbuster movie that is best watched on a big screen. This will lead to more thoughtful movies, such as dramas like The Pianist that can be appreciated equally on a smaller screen. Seeing the industry shift that direction would be a very welcome change.

Nov 25 2020 07:31pm
Quote (Kayeto @ 25 Nov 2020 17:53)
seeing WW84 fold under the pressure after holding out all summer certainly helps us see which way the wind is blowing. This was the big one that they were holding onto, but they finally let it go.

hopefully, studios recognize that there isn't as much reward for investing in a big budget action CGI blockbuster movie that is best watched on a big screen. This will lead to more thoughtful movies, such as dramas like The Pianist that can be appreciated equally on a smaller screen. Seeing the industry shift that direction would be a very welcome change.

I think the blockbusters on home screens are good enough of an experience with modern TVs that there is room for a balance between the types of movies.
Dec 8 2020 02:56am
I guess WB is going to release every movie in 2021 online and in theaters simultaneously.
Gold: 58.70
Dec 25 2020 07:22pm
It was bad
The story was all boring and the plot was awful
I’m glad i have hbo max and didn’t waste money on this movie
Dec 25 2020 07:56pm
Quote (Doom0277 @ Dec 25 2020 05:22pm)
It was bad
The story was all boring and the plot was awful
I’m glad i have hbo max and didn’t waste money on this movie

First one wasn't gold either, so not surprising.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll