d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Culinary Arts > Question About Cooking Steaks
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Nov 8 2020 10:58pm
So i've always either undercooked or overcooked mine....
Looking to cook it medium-rare on the stove (the only way i cook it, is using stove)

wondering how long on each side, as well as the stove temperature?
Also should i sear the sides where the fat is?

Any other tips are welcome, as well :) ty guys!

This post was edited by ferf on Nov 8 2020 11:04pm
Gold: 1,500.00
Nov 9 2020 02:22pm
thats going to depend on many factors

temp of meat prior to cooking, thickness and cut of meat, type of pan used ect

but yes, hold it on the fat caps and render it down

https://www.youtube.com/user/bgfilms

babish has done a bunch of how too's and with steak and other things, he has a hand full of videos if u search steak under his channel that will be helpful
Gold: 0.00
Nov 25 2020 02:43pm
Quote (ferf @ Nov 8 2020 10:58pm)
So i've always either undercooked or overcooked mine....
Looking to cook it medium-rare on the stove (the only way i cook it, is using stove)

wondering how long on each side, as well as the stove temperature?
Also should i sear the sides where the fat is?

Any other tips are welcome, as well :) ty guys!

If your doing it on stove.. you want olive oil or such in pain and heated up. When you put that steak down it should SIZZLE. If it doesn't.. the temperature of the pan was too low. Med high is a good place.. (altitude type of stove gas/electric there's too many factors) but when you put that steak down it should be roughly 3 min on one side. 3 min on other side. Do not MOVE or flip it constantly. You want a sort of crust on each side. And this is for a skinnier steak like a sirloin or ribeye maybe 1.5cm-2.5cm. larger steaks need more time and more flips. But always get that crust. Imo season with salt pepper and garlic butter/thyme or whatever in the pan. And let the meat do the flavor :) but I like my steaks about medium.

But most important thing pan needs to SIZZLE when you put it in. Like pop popopopopopooopopoopoppp. Not pop....pop.....pop....

BUT the finger test is the way to tell whether your steak is done or not. This only comes with practice but just Google the steak rarity chart and when you poke it you can tell.

Also when it's done. Let it sit untouched for like 3-5 min off the heat but obviously not on a cold plate or something.
Go Back To Culinary Arts Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll