d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > Most Overrated & Underrated Player On Your Team
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,535.00
Oct 15 2020 04:28pm
the thought of tierns being overrated makes my brain explode
Gold: 726.69
Oct 15 2020 05:19pm
Quote (KoJ @ Oct 15 2020 06:28pm)
the thought of tierns being overrated makes my brain explode

🤯
Gold: 2,647.74
Oct 15 2020 06:08pm
Quote (Secksii @ Oct 15 2020 02:53pm)
Eriksson is over-rated as fuck, he single handedly created more memes than points for the canucks in his 4 years.

I think people just acknowledge he's grossly overpaid and meme to cope with the fact he brings $1M performance on a $6M cap hit. Kinda like Gomez was for the Habs at one point. Shitting on him just got old.

Quote (Secksii @ Oct 15 2020 02:53pm)
Myers is under-rated as fuck, he gets a lot of un-needed flack based on his past performance cuz of the media talking mad shit about his contract before he played a game for the canucks.
He led the team in TOI against elite competition last season, played with Edler, Hughes, Benn, and Fatenberg throughout the season. Hughes actually benefits the most playing with him, making him so much better than he was, but was held back by tanev cuz Green needed to balance the pairings and tanev wasn't as effective with anyone else. He made everyone on the team play better when he's on the ice, excluding the 4th liners.

idk, Myers is frustrating to watch because even when he's playing well he still makes a lot of clumsy plays. A lot like Edler actually, but he's not old lol. He's decent enough as a middle TOI defenseman but because of our lack of size he often has to bite off more than he can chew, but he's paid like he can be a workhorse in all situations. Which raises expectations, maybe unfairly towards his actual skill level but commiserate with how much he gets paid.

Beagle is a 4C not a fucking 2C. I dont expect him to put up ton of points, nor outspeed everybody at his age. He was literally brought into do three things. Provide leadership to the young core, faceoffs, and PK. He nailed all those 3 jobs, if not exceeded them.
He is deployed more like a 3C because he heavily shelters Gaudette, and there's no 3C on the team that is ready yet. Imagine if the Canucks had an actual 3C like Cirelli, Beagle wouldn't get outplayed as much since he will go against other 4C's rather than spending 80% of the time in the dZone against players a lot better than him 100% of the time, and he still clutches it out. He would school other 4c like dowd, glendening and other random 4c's you never hear about, let alone old washed up players similar to his age cuz they aren't relied to play the hard minutes but chill playing against other 4c and cruise doing jack all while ur stars rest

well, that's the recurring problem with how the Canucks roster has been built - overpaying in UFA means a lack of depth and a need for the overpaid vets to play above their real worth. You're right that if say, Gaudette and Virtanen could be relied on then Beagle could be better used, but contracts like his is why we can't have a well-rounded lineup to begin with. The media is super nice towards him imo, and fair enough in the sense that he's seems like a leader and trying to play to the role he's ascribed. But he's simply asked to do too much, and so we see him, Sutter and Motte permanently pinned in their own zone even when Beagle wins the draw.

/e ops my bit about Pearson disappeared. Anyways I think he's "rated" as a middle 6 winger - he disappears occasionally but he's generally out there fighting for the puck and throwing it to the net. Not very high IQ but competing even when he's not doing well. Media only remembers he exists when he scores which sounds about what you want from him - don't be a liability if you aren't scoring.

This post was edited by Hizkuntza on Oct 15 2020 06:10pm
Gold: 8,732.50
Oct 15 2020 07:18pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ 15 Oct 2020 17:08)
I think people just acknowledge he's grossly overpaid and meme to cope with the fact he brings $1M performance on a $6M cap hit. Kinda like Gomez was for the Habs at one point. Shitting on him just got old.

idk, Myers is frustrating to watch because even when he's playing well he still makes a lot of clumsy plays. A lot like Edler actually, but he's not old lol. He's decent enough as a middle TOI defenseman but because of our lack of size he often has to bite off more than he can chew, but he's paid like he can be a workhorse in all situations. Which raises expectations, maybe unfairly towards his actual skill level but commiserate with how much he gets paid.

well, that's the recurring problem with how the Canucks roster has been built - overpaying in UFA means a lack of depth and a need for the overpaid vets to play above their real worth. You're right that if say, Gaudette and Virtanen could be relied on then Beagle could be better used, but contracts like his is why we can't have a well-rounded lineup to begin with. The media is super nice towards him imo, and fair enough in the sense that he's seems like a leader and trying to play to the role he's ascribed. But he's simply asked to do too much, and so we see him, Sutter and Motte permanently pinned in their own zone even when Beagle wins the draw.

/e ops my bit about Pearson disappeared. Anyways I think he's "rated" as a middle 6 winger - he disappears occasionally but he's generally out there fighting for the puck and throwing it to the net. Not very high IQ but competing even when he's not doing well. Media only remembers he exists when he scores which sounds about what you want from him - don't be a liability if you aren't scoring.

Beagle isn't grossly overpaid though. I'd say he's a ~2m 4c in the league, no one is dumb enough to take Dowd or some rand 4c over beags for half the cost.
The reason the Canucks lack depth is because of Benning going hard on FA which a lot of fans & media wanted him to do in the first place, but because most didn't work out they backtrack and pretend they never wanted said players in the first place.
Also the lack of depth has nothing to do with Beagle being overpaid, it's more of ton of players like Sutter/Eriksson/Schaller/Spooner/Gagner/Gudbranson etc. are not performing even half their worth of their contract, a pandemic no one ever saw coming causing flat cap, the lu penalty, etc. and getting a 1d and 1c out of a #5 and #7 pick to speed up the rebuild process, as if they won back to back lottery picks. If Benning didn't have these bad contracts, beagle would still be definitely on the team as a 4c. He won't be replaced until he can't pk, faceoff, or be good enough to be relied on for the hard minutes while horvat is resting. He will end up being scratched like Eriksson.
The term length of Beagle's contract was the main concern, if he is able to continue his style of play until the contract expires. So far he hasn't shown any signs of declining to the point like the said players above.
In fact, he has played better than with the caps even though he's older, on a worse team, and way more relied upon with the nucks and rarely given the easy minutes to rack up bonus pts for himself.

Gold: 2,647.74
Oct 15 2020 11:32pm
Quote (Secksii @ Oct 15 2020 06:18pm)
Beagle isn't grossly overpaid though. I'd say he's a ~2m 4c in the league, no one is dumb enough to take Dowd or some rand 4c over beags for half the cost.
The reason the Canucks lack depth is because of Benning going hard on FA which a lot of fans & media wanted him to do in the first place, but because most didn't work out they backtrack and pretend they never wanted said players in the first place.
Also the lack of depth has nothing to do with Beagle being overpaid, it's more of ton of players like Sutter/Eriksson/Schaller/Spooner/Gagner/Gudbranson etc. are not performing even half their worth of their contract, a pandemic no one ever saw coming causing flat cap, the lu penalty, etc. and getting a 1d and 1c out of a #5 and #7 pick to speed up the rebuild process, as if they won back to back lottery picks. If Benning didn't have these bad contracts, beagle would still be definitely on the team as a 4c. He won't be replaced until he can't pk, faceoff, or be good enough to be relied on for the hard minutes while horvat is resting. He will end up being scratched like Eriksson.
The term length of Beagle's contract was the main concern, if he is able to continue his style of play until the contract expires. So far he hasn't shown any signs of declining to the point like the said players above.
In fact, he has played better than with the caps even though he's older, on a worse team, and way more relied upon with the nucks and rarely given the easy minutes to rack up bonus pts for himself.

I mean it's in your post, the problem isn't just that Beagle is overpaid but that he was given too much term given his playstyle. Same shit with Roussel, Sutter, Ferland, etc. And Eriksson's was just stupid to begin with.

I'd say Beagle is the least bad of them because he at least provides some value to the team that can't easily be found elsewhere in the lineup, but still - in isolation his contract isn't that problematic but he adds to the cap hell. When the big crunch happens next season, no one will want Beagle without significant assets going with him.

This post was edited by Hizkuntza on Oct 15 2020 11:32pm
Gold: 43.99
Oct 16 2020 02:43am
DeBrusk overrated

Gryz underrated
Gold: 250.00
Oct 16 2020 03:52am
Overrated- schenn, krug, dunn
Underrated- Schwartz, ROR, sunquist

This post was edited by 696969696969696969696969696969 on Oct 16 2020 03:52am
Gold: 0.00
Oct 16 2020 06:15am
overrated: Letang closely followed by geno
underrated: rust
Gold: 17,801.00
Oct 19 2020 07:15pm
Quote (696969696969696969696969696969 @ Oct 16 2020 02:52am)
Overrated- schenn, krug, dunn
Underrated- Schwartz, ROR, sunquist

Funny how you say Krug is overrated and he has not even suited up for the Blues yet lol.

I am a big fan of Sundvist.

Gold: 250.00
Oct 19 2020 09:49pm
Quote (Killingyouall @ Oct 19 2020 08:15pm)
Funny how you say Krug is overrated and he has not even suited up for the Blues yet lol.

I am a big fan of Sundvist.

I dont think its funny at all honestly

I thought the same thing about faulk last year before he suited up too, and look how that's turned out so far

This post was edited by 696969696969696969696969696969 on Oct 19 2020 09:50pm
Go Back To Hockey Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll