d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Pets > Ferret Questions
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 385.00
Oct 1 2020 02:54pm
So first off I need a new litter. I use a paper litter for him atm and it just doesn’t seem to last long and definitely doesn’t hide the smell

I’ve seen a lot of people talk about pine pellets. Does anyone here have experience with them and how well did they work? I don’t mind the smell of pine and I heard it soaks up nice and does good with the stench.

Also, how big of a cage do you have for your ferret? I ordered a 8 panel 24x24 pet exercise pen for his new cage but I feel like he just still needs room. If he’s not sleeping or I’m not at work he’s running around, were just still working in potty training when he’s running around the living room.

Lmk if you guys have any advice or suggestions. Thanks!
Gold: 10,687.34
Warn: 90%
Oct 8 2020 09:40am
I did some research on pine for you. I don't suggest using any kind pine. Pine is said to cause irritation.

For the general toilet odor control and sanitation I suggest investing in a "bank" of litter boxes. Having a few of them makes cleaning quick and easy. Especially since Ferrets use the restroom several times a day.

As for having accidents around the house. That is normal for younger ferret. They don't care if you are driving. They don't need to wait for a pit stop. They don't have to argue with anyone about it. They go when they feel like its right or have to. They even wake up for it. When they have tons of freedumb to roam they have tons of new places to consider using as a bathroom. What I am getting at is it is really on you to have patience, consistency and effective pet parenting to guide him and yourself in the right direction.

www.ferret.org or https://www.ferret.org/pdfs/education/ has a lot of information you may find useful.

This post was edited by treezin on Oct 8 2020 09:42am
Gold: 385.00
Oct 8 2020 08:08pm
Quote (treezin @ Oct 8 2020 11:40am)
I did some research on pine for you. I don't suggest using any kind pine. Pine is said to cause irritation.

For the general toilet odor control and sanitation I suggest investing in a "bank" of litter boxes. Having a few of them makes cleaning quick and easy. Especially since Ferrets use the restroom several times a day.

As for having accidents around the house. That is normal for younger ferret. They don't care if you are driving. They don't need to wait for a pit stop. They don't have to argue with anyone about it. They go when they feel like its right or have to. They even wake up for it. When they have tons of freedumb to roam they have tons of new places to consider using as a bathroom. What I am getting at is it is really on you to have patience, consistency and effective pet parenting to guide him and yourself in the right direction.

www.ferret.org or https://www.ferret.org/pdfs/education/ has a lot of information you may find useful.

thanks brotha!!

he goes in his liter box in his cage, and sometimes if hes roaming aorund he still amkes it to it
but if im sleeping or something and leave him out he wont go in it
even the other ones set up in the corner of rooms, he will go just in the middle of the room

hes about to be a year old so hopefully he gets teh hang of it soon!
Go Back To Pets Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll