d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Question, Which Ram And Why?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Sep 15 2020 08:40pm
After some time inside from the pandemic I have been booting up my old desktop for some games. I realized after dust removal and opening the case after all these years I only had 1 stick of ram and have an extra slot open. Even though the computer is aged I think it will be a cheap alternative to buying a whole new PC. Though after a couple days of searching I have had more questions than answers regarding ram, and what would make sense for me to purchase. I firstly tried the easy route of matching my current ram though could not find the exact brand anywhere I suppose they stopped making them https://www.newegg.com/pareema-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820576020.

First I thought I needed to get all the timings right 11-11-11-28, but further reading led me to believe that voltage and CAS latency being the same were much more important, can anyone clarify if any or which of the 3 should be identical to my current 8gb ddr3 ram? Didn't want to have 2 purchase 2 new 8gb ram sticks, but would suck it up if my current ram is bad or could not be matched still much cheaper than a new computer.

Also got me thinking of other things if my computer could handle more ram I'm sure it can but would faster CAS Latency or better ram help my computer or is cheaper the better more of a realistic option if your not on an optimal computer already?

My current desktop set up I know it's old , but not completely ancient pretty smooth for most of the games I play on low - medium settings but would like to push graphics in a few and try a few games tougher on the PC like PoE.

Motherboard - msi 760gma-p34(fx) (ms-7641)

Processor - amd fx(tm)-4350 quad-core processor 4.20ghz

Graphics Card Nvidia GEForce GTX 770

Would be great if anyone with more knowledge on the subject could give me a quick run down! I started off just wanting to buy a quick ram stick but after spending hours reading I actually want to know more about it now rather than just easily buy 2 matching sticks! Although I may end up doing that I need to feel justified in my decision and purchase.
Gold: 18,352.00
Sep 15 2020 09:15pm
Ram has 4 main variables

- Channel rate (dua l / tri / quad)
- Speed in Mhz (highers better till its hindered by timings)
- Cas Timings (lowers better)
- Size in GB

Voltage usually goes up based on speed as most ram is OC'd ram.
2x8 GB DDR 1866 @7 CAS is the most ideal set for you.

Personally I'd move to this at this point...
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/m4LxzN

Then wait for the inevitable 3060.
Gold: 10,655.00
Sep 15 2020 09:19pm

Here, this will rock your computer's world. AND it tested compatible with your motherboard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CQphP6/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a1600c9

But yeah... I would think about just building a modern computer.

This post was edited by Ghot on Sep 15 2020 09:21pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 40%
Sep 15 2020 09:28pm
You can build a computer miles ahead of that for even $500 or around there today. Lots of lower end components that still handle 1080p super well.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll