d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Reason For Neuralink
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Sep 5 2020 05:59pm
As many of us have heard that Elon Musk has invented a new brain implant called the Neuralink. For me it seems to be a bad way to treat mental conditions. Its better to expand research on safer and more efficient drugs along with stem cell/gene therapy. Here is an updated link on Neuralink being tested on pigs:

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/neuralink-neuroscientists

I would like to here your thoughts on this new brain chip. It would be good to hear from other people along with different options.
Gold: 107.77
Sep 5 2020 06:27pm
Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Sep 7 2020 06:11pm
Quote (OrDe @ Sep 6 2020 01:59am)
As many of us have heard that Elon Musk has invented a new brain implant called the Neuralink. For me it seems to be a bad way to treat mental conditions. Its better to expand research on safer and more efficient drugs along with stem cell/gene therapy. Here is an updated link on Neuralink being tested on pigs:

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/neuralink-neuroscientists

I would like to here your thoughts on this new brain chip. It would be good to hear from other people along with different options.

well first of all, i dont understand how it will work for neurological problems because they tend to be very...physical :wacko: for example a car accident or a massive stroke can literally cut a neural pathway and i cant really understand how this fixes it. i mean technically its supposed to serve as a replacement for those neurons, yes? cause i havent seen anything that comes even close to it and that might take years :wacko:

also about the superpowers which people expect from this (like in the movie "upgrade"), yeah that will never happen. the ai tech focuses is never about about enhancement but about convenience and heres why. the elite doesnt want to give all the humans more abilities, because the only way to counteract that would be to implant those in their own heads, and that wont happen. so they add only convenience, and you can choose to use that as you dont lose much by not using it. theres a reason why zuckerborg, pezos and the like dont even use smartphones much. imagine using an implant that makes you do shit like in the above mentioned movie. no one wants that as it would create chaos

also neural networks have a different layout than our own brain networks, no idea how they will implement that either. i wouldnt wanna end up like kaidan alenko from mass effect :(
Gold: 2.66
Sep 12 2020 11:49am
This technology is dangerous. But it is progress in the evolution of man. The more we know about the brain, which is an organic super computer, then the more we can do. I believe it always comes down to who has control over it. Technology or power in the hands of the irresponsible can be disastrous.

This post was edited by Malignanttumor666 on Sep 12 2020 11:49am
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 2 2020 01:56pm
This is something where the idea behind the idea is pure genius.

The chip itself will likely be outmoded before it has any use for humans. And without knowing much about it, I can say that it's probably not a very good technology.

But the idea behind it is spectacular. Imagine if we could prevent, treat, or cure diseases via a chip. Imagine if we could dream bigger or become better or stronger or smarter via a chip. Of course it paints a scary picture of a cyborg future and I believe that a huge amount of caution should go into developing technologies of this kind. But there's an austere beauty to the idea that we can develop a technology that we put inside our brains and then makes us better.

Also, I think it's possible that a truly big technology of this type (the kind that makes dreams and nightmares come true) will eventually be developed. I'm betting that Musk just wants to get there first. He's obsessed with the future.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll