d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Subaru Brake Job
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,903.76
Sep 1 2020 09:10am
Anyone have experience doing a brake job? Subaru is quoting me nearly $7,000.00 for a full brake job and to me that seems very overpriced. I am handy and have worked on cars but haven’t done brakes specifically... however I found performance brake pads and rotors online for around a thousand and the youtube tutorials I’ve watched seem easy enough to do myself but what am I missing?!? Where or what is that other 5-6 grand subaru is trying to get out of me?

‘18 Subaru WRX STi is my vehicle

All help is appreciated, ty!
Gold: 0.00
Sep 1 2020 09:39am
Is this in fucking pesos? 7 grand for a brake job?
Gold: 10,775.00
Sep 1 2020 11:30am
Take it to a local shop. Not sure about your area, but here dealerships will charge 130/hour labor and only use OEM parts. Local shops will use good aftermarket parts and only ~70-80/h for labor.

Brakes are one of those things that are easy enough to do, but i don't touch them because they're so crucial to safety.

Also, make sure with Subaru that brakes are the only thing they're quoting because that's a pretty crazy estimate.
Gold: 20.56
Sep 1 2020 03:40pm
Brakes are pretty simple after a youtube video, Just watch a video on pad/rotor swap for brembo's.

Think my friend did my buddies sti for $250? My advice is find a friend or post on a local subaru Facebook group.
Gold: 11.02
Sep 1 2020 04:44pm
did you get the actual printout of what all is involved with the quote?

even at higher dealership prices, $7K is way more than pads, rotors, AND calipers would require with labor. that figure implies they're charging you somewhere between 40-50 hours of labour, which is a lot more than just pads and rotors.
Sep 1 2020 05:14pm
Quote (Sonicgundam @ Sep 1 2020 06:44pm)
did you get the actual printout of what all is involved with the quote?

even at higher dealership prices, $7K is way more than pads, rotors, AND calipers would require with labor. that figure implies they're charging you somewhere between 40-50 hours of labour, which is a lot more than just pads and rotors.

I agree 100% the itemization only details the pads, rotors, and calipers for both front and rear. Nothing else.

My buddy is going to do the front set with me! Good learning experience and him and his dad were able to get what is needed at a much less inflated cost lol

Thread can be closed I got all of the help needed :)
Gold: 11.02
Sep 2 2020 04:10am
Quote (Epiphany @ Sep 1 2020 04:14pm)
I agree 100% the itemization only details the pads, rotors, and calipers for both front and rear. Nothing else.

My buddy is going to do the front set with me! Good learning experience and him and his dad were able to get what is needed at a much less inflated cost lol

Thread can be closed I got all of the help needed :)

you misinterpreted my point.

if they're quoting you something in the neighborhood of 40 hours of labour for a brake overhaul, they're saying it needs more than pads and rotors. that's my point. you can do the pads and rotors yourself, but that figure implies there are other issues with the system. the only way to know what the cost is getting at is if you have a printout of the parts and necessary labour for them.
Gold: 1,535.00
Sep 2 2020 08:34am
where did they add an extra 0?

700 maybe and that high, 7 grand? they are smoking some good shit

https://www.carid.com/2018-subaru-wrx-performance-brake-kits/

also, your car shouldnt need anything but pads and resurface of the rotors at most. a 2018 shouldnt need brakes yet unless youre hard as fuck on it
Sep 2 2020 01:36pm
Quote (Sonicgundam @ Sep 2 2020 06:10am)
you misinterpreted my point.

if they're quoting you something in the neighborhood of 40 hours of labour for a brake overhaul, they're saying it needs more than pads and rotors. that's my point. you can do the pads and rotors yourself, but that figure implies there are other issues with the system. the only way to know what the cost is getting at is if you have a printout of the parts and necessary labour for them.

"the itemization only details the pads, rotors, and calipers for both front and rear"

I didn't misinterpret anything

Quote (KoJ @ Sep 2 2020 10:34am)
where did they add an extra 0?

700 maybe and that high, 7 grand? they are smoking some good shit

https://www.carid.com/2018-subaru-wrx-performance-brake-kits/

also, your car shouldnt need anything but pads and resurface of the rotors at most. a 2018 shouldnt need brakes yet unless youre hard as fuck on it

I'm not hard on them at all, I baby it in most cases, the guy who owned it before me tracked it once or twice which is where I am assuming the brakes degraded significantly. I took a look at the front rotors myself, there worn down enough there is a pretty decent lip forming.
Front definitely needs to be done, back is fine (rotors and pads)
Gold: 1,535.00
Sep 2 2020 01:44pm
Quote (Epiphany @ Sep 2 2020 12:36pm)
"the itemization only details the pads, rotors, and calipers for both front and rear"

I didn't misinterpret anything

I'm not hard on them at all, I baby it in most cases, the guy who owned it before me tracked it once or twice which is where I am assuming the brakes degraded significantly. I took a look at the front rotors myself, there worn down enough there is a pretty decent lip forming.
Front definitely needs to be done, back is fine (rotors and pads)

a track day once or twice shouldnt do that much, unless he cooked the fuck out of the breaks and they were highly aggressive material

either way, you can get cheepie parts store rotors for 130 bucks a piece and pads for like 60 bucks, thats less than 350 bucks front, rear is similar

and performance stuff, depending on what you do, just rotors and pads, or calipers also you can spend anywhere from a grand - 10 grand if you want.

also, why are they replacing the calipers....
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll