d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Tenant Uprising
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Aug 10 2020 07:17pm
tenants are not handling the pandemic well and are demanding a cancellation of rent, many have stormed court houses, mayors homes and law offices in an attempt to put a stop to evictions. on the one hand I feel sorry for them and think establishing more shelters for the homeless would be a great way to alleviate their concerns. many of them seem hellbent on becoming squatters however and i'm not very sympathetic towards that. what do our resident pardians make of this debacle?

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/7kpdyq/the-tenant-uprising-is-here-and-its-fierce

In recent days, tenant activists have stormed courthouses in Kansas City and New Orleans. They’ve crowded, chanting, into real estate law firms in New York City. They’ve protested outside a mayor’s home in Los Angeles and marched with signs through another mayor’s neighborhood in Milwaukee.

Their message to landlords and government leaders: Don’t allow evictions to occur during a global pandemic. Tenant activists are worried about the millions of unemployed Americans who now stand on the edge of an unprecedented housing crisis that could leave as many as 40 million people facing eviction by the end of the year.

“We are standing up to put a stop to this,” Iris Butler told the Denver Post Thursday, when about two dozen protesters demonstrated in front of the Webb Municipal Building to demand the restoration of Colorado’s eviction moratorium, which expired in June.

Cops in SWAT gear later told the anti-eviction protesters to disperse or face arrest, according to the Denver Post, so the group moved closer to the street.

Nearly 1,700 miles away, about 50 anti-eviction protesters also gathered outside a courthouse in Ithaca, New York on Thursday. They brought couches and shopping carts into the driveway of the Ithaca Police Department and court building to replicate the scene of an evicted home, according to the Ithaca Voice.

"During the pandemic when all of us got laid off from our jobs and we can't fight for higher wages anymore, we had to turn to fighting to stay in homes,” Genevieve Rand, an organizer for the Ithaca Tenants Union said during the protest, according to the Ithaca Voice. “The pandemic has exposed down to the cracks, all the breakage in our society that let people like us fall through the cracks.”

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo extended the state’s eviction moratorium until Sept. 4 this week, just before it was scheduled to expire.

Gold: 2,617.52
Aug 10 2020 07:56pm
On the converse end, the tenants will conplain about lack of housing supply. You cant win when you try to appease childish demands.

Ifs pretty easy to arrange subletting and sharing especially for the young in the meantime.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Aug 10 2020 07:56pm
Gold: 260.11
Aug 10 2020 07:58pm
Our entire economy is built on not saving. All the way from the biggest company to the individual renter. All the incentives are set up to avoid saving.

We bailed out companies far more than individuals last time we had a crash and we did the same thing this time.
Gold: 1.00
Aug 10 2020 08:02pm
I feel for some and feel nothing for others. Some that were at the poverty line before never had the ability to save for a rainy day.

Some however are just poor savers and have no restraints. These people should have a rude awakening and I actually feel good knowing they're getting fucked.

This post was edited by SBD on Aug 10 2020 08:02pm
Gold: 6,351.00
Aug 10 2020 08:10pm
If you’re receiving unemployment benefits pay up. At the very least work something out with your landlord where you pay 1/2, 3/4, whatever until you get back to work if what you’re getting isn’t covering it and you need the money for food or whatever.

I fee a fair amount of people are just being opportunistic. Like the fuck is wrong with people, why has society become so entitled.
Gold: 1.00
Aug 10 2020 08:15pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Aug 10 2020 08:10pm)
If you’re receiving unemployment benefits pay up. At the very least work something out with your landlord where you pay 1/2, 3/4, whatever until you get back to work if what you’re getting isn’t covering it and you need the money for food or whatever.

I fee a fair amount of people are just being opportunistic. Like the fuck is wrong with people, why has society become so entitled.

What happened to having six months of living expenses in safe liquidity readily available. These are things my very poor parents pounded into me. I wonder if it's background. My parents, a mimum wage earner on a slaughter line and a cable man engrained basics before I ever stepped foot into the world on my own. Not a penny to spare.

Again some I understand though. Single mothers especially.

This post was edited by SBD on Aug 10 2020 08:16pm
Gold: 6,351.00
Aug 10 2020 08:29pm
Quote (SBD @ Aug 10 2020 10:15pm)
What happened to having six months of living expenses in safe liquidity readily available. These are things my very poor parents pounded into me. I wonder if it's background. My parents, a mimum wage earner on a slaughter line and a cable man engrained basics before I ever stepped foot into the world on my own. Not a penny to spare.

I'v noticed many people in the US don't know how to live frugally. I can realistically probably live for under 20k in my city. I agree obviously there are special cases like single moms, disabled people or whatever but i guarantee there is a certain segment here that's basically thinking they can get away with it if they complain enough.

I was arguing with this guy on facebook today (never do this but idk why i did it this time). He's mad he's no longer getting the 600/week as of end of July and that there are literally no full time jobs out there according to him. I point out to him that pretty much every fast food place around where i live is begging for workers, with starting pay at $14/hour and he throws a temper tantrum. Mind you, i live in a city, where you can get an apartment for like 600 bucks and public transportation is no more than $5/daily unlimited trips.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Aug 10 2020 08:42pm
Gold: 500.00
Aug 10 2020 08:31pm
🤔
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/eviction-crisis-coronavirus-pandemic?utm_medium=social&utm_brand=tv&utm_source=twitter&mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned
The response to this crisis has made it even more clear that party politics are a sham, and the real political affinity lies within class and race. While we’re working to abolish the police, we must also work to dismantle what the police were put here to protect: property. What is more evident of the legacy of settler colonialism and its violence than the idea of the ownership of land? What helped shape the unequal distribution of wealth and enduring segregation of our cities quite like centuries of racist property laws?
Gold: 57.00
Aug 10 2020 08:45pm
Quote (SBD @ 10 Aug 2020 22:15)

not everyone gets taught this and even fewer actually have the means to accumulate this (based on societal behavior as a whole in general), unfortunately. it was a common aim to have 3-6 months in an 'emergency fund' but in the era of cheap credit and keeping up with the jones being extended from your neighborhood to your instagram, these lessons kinda fell by the wayside
Gold: 4,400.67
Aug 10 2020 11:50pm
Quote (duffman316 @ 11 Aug 2020 04:31)
🤔
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/eviction-crisis-coronavirus-pandemic?utm_medium=social&utm_brand=tv&utm_source=twitter&mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned
The response to this crisis has made it even more clear that party politics are a sham, and the real political affinity lies within class and race. While we’re working to abolish the police, we must also work to dismantle what the police were put here to protect: property. What is more evident of the legacy of settler colonialism and its violence than the idea of the ownership of land? What helped shape the unequal distribution of wealth and enduring segregation of our cities quite like centuries of racist property laws?

It should be mentioned that the Teen Vogue is owned by Advance Publications, who happen to also be the majority shareholder of reddit.
Honk honk!
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll