d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Punching Gas Pedal
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jul 31 2020 05:52pm
I drive 80 km round trip to work and back 5-6 days a week. Because of the remoteness of the area the highway road is one lane going each way, with about 2 designated passing areas with 2 lanes around 1km in length throughout the trip, so I often get stuck behind slow people for kms at a time. I tend the drive a bit quicker then most. The posted speed limit on the entire trip is 80km maximum, and I usually average 100-120 km per hour.

To my actual questions.

I find atleast once a day I am in a situation where I am punching the gas pedal uphill to where I am just below the "red lining" area in a matter of a second or so. 6000 rpms.

Is this at all "bad" for my engine or tranny to experience that punch or am I way over thinking?. Should I try and gradually obtain that rev by slowly pressing the gas pedal ?

Vehicle is a Toyota 4runner 2015. 100km odo. Automatic engine

Do all basic maintenance regularly myself. Am a bit hard on the truck but its a toyota.

Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks

Gold: 2,354.50
Aug 1 2020 11:24am
Being hard on your truck is just that, I feel like you know the answer already. If you try to gradually reach that rpm you won’t, the truck will shift before that point I would assume unless you are on a severe grad and constantly accelerating. All that’s happening is your truck is probably shifting down two or more gears depending on how fast you are going when you try to make that pass. So transmission wise nothing is really a problem. As far as the engine is concerned the red line is there for a reason so if you are consistently hitting it then yeah it’s hard on the engine. Outside of that as long as things are getting oil for a couple seconds it’s not the end of the world.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 3 2020 08:53am
I guess I am just looking for reassurance that it wont severely impact the longevity of the engine if I just about redline it briefly every so often.

I know its not ideal that's for sure.

If it's going to cause premature failure in the future then I would want to adjust my driving accordingly?

Gold: 269.00
Aug 3 2020 10:13pm
Quote (Sapo92 @ Aug 3 2020 10:53am)
I guess I am just looking for reassurance that it wont severely impact the longevity of the engine if I just about redline it briefly every so often.

I know its not ideal that's for sure.

If it's going to cause premature failure in the future then I would want to adjust my driving accordingly?

It was meant to be able to do it. These vehicles aren't just tossed together with no planning. Of course the harder you drive it, the harder it is on the truck, but it was designed for someone to get in its ass every now and then. Stay up on the preventative maintenance and drive it however the hell you want. I bought my 06 GTO with 65k miles on it, and i drive that car how a 400hp engine is meant to be driven. I'll be close to hitting 250k by the end of the year and my shit still runs strong and drives as tight as it always has.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll