d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > World of Warcraft > Bc Was So Much Better Than Vanilla
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 15,945.00
Jul 24 2020 07:31pm
in every way.
Gold: 2.66
Jul 24 2020 08:54pm
yes

would sell my soul for bc servers.

Gold: 15,945.00
Jul 25 2020 12:57am
Quote (Malignanttumor666 @ Jul 24 2020 07:54pm)
yes

would sell my soul for bc servers.

I am trying to decide what class to play for BC when it comes out but can't cause all of them are fun as fuck in bc..

Might just go night elf rogue for the nostalgia of playing one in 2007.

This post was edited by Dmitriy on Jul 25 2020 12:58am
Gold: 69.00
Jul 29 2020 12:41am
Gotta have my draenais < 3

This post was edited by Trickshottr on Jul 29 2020 12:41am
Gold: 63,142.89
Jul 29 2020 02:46am
the dungeons, raids and classes were better. but flying mounts and summon stones were a killer. instead of interacting with players and mobs in the world, it become common to just fly over/teleport past everything.

The game is called WORLD of warcraft, yet the supposed expansion reduced the size of the world by a good chunk. Being a 'pvper' in TBC meant that you sit in shatt and queued for things. For most of vanilla (not talking about classic) you had to leave the capital to pvp (either wpvp or bgs). When arenas were announced, I thought they would be a cool addition to the pvp game I already loved. I had no idea that it was actually a replacement. Organized groups queueing for BGs together was removed from the game and wpvp was toned down heavily. It's so lame trying to pvp around a farming spot, but everyone can just safely sit on their flying mount instead of having to engage. The Isle was the only real good chunk of the WORLD of warcraft that stood out, but of course that wasn't added until the end of TBC.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Jul 29 2020 02:47am
Gold: 0.00
Jul 29 2020 10:46am
Quote (Kayeto @ Jul 29 2020 03:46am)
the dungeons, raids and classes were better. but flying mounts and summon stones were a killer. instead of interacting with players and mobs in the world, it become common to just fly over/teleport past everything.

The game is called WORLD of warcraft, yet the supposed expansion reduced the size of the world by a good chunk. Being a 'pvper' in TBC meant that you sit in shatt and queued for things. For most of vanilla (not talking about classic) you had to leave the capital to pvp (either wpvp or bgs). When arenas were announced, I thought they would be a cool addition to the pvp game I already loved. I had no idea that it was actually a replacement. Organized groups queueing for BGs together was removed from the game and wpvp was toned down heavily. It's so lame trying to pvp around a farming spot, but everyone can just safely sit on their flying mount instead of having to engage. The Isle was the only real good chunk of the WORLD of warcraft that stood out, but of course that wasn't added until the end of TBC.

ah yes how i miss spending an hour of my playtime getting to places each day, /s

maybe back in the day when the graphics were "impressive" for their time, now no one wants to look at the eyesore of wow while they hold down auto run for 20 mins.

This post was edited by ISellLeagueBoosts on Jul 29 2020 10:47am
Jul 29 2020 11:28am
Quote (ISellLeagueBoosts @ Jul 29 2020 12:46pm)
ah yes how i miss spending an hour of my playtime getting to places each day, /s

maybe back in the day when the graphics were "impressive" for their time, now no one wants to look at the eyesore of wow while they hold down auto run for 20 mins.

The "place" that you need to get to in order to play the game World of Warcraft is .. the world. The world is all over the place. It is where the game takes place. Sitting in the capital = not playing the game.

Your mindset seems to be that a person has to "get past the world" in order to "get to the game". This problematic mindset is what TBC started pushing into players' minds. As it grew, it contributed to the downfall of WoW as a whole. That was why, when vanilla was released, all the Everquest pros were outspoken against instances being in the game.

I think instances are fine, as long as developers can keep a lid on them. But then people start conflating non-world content with the actual game, then that's an indication that the mechanic of instances has been taken too far. Separating players into instances turned into phasing, then solo garrisons, layering, crossrealm, LFR and pretty soon the world wasn't even part of the game anymore.

In an MMO, players should be in the world interacting with each other, for better or worse. Sometimes they fight each other, sometimes they compete for spawns, sometimes they work together and develop positive connections. This is the essence of an MMO. Siphoning players off so that they don't interact (or interact without even chatting, such as dungeon finder) directly undercuts the game.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Jul 29 2020 11:35am
Jul 29 2020 11:34am
Quote (Kayeto @ Jul 29 2020 12:28pm)
The "place" that you need to get to in order to play the game World of Warcraft is .. the world. The world is all over the place. It is where the game takes place. Sitting in the capital = not playing the game.

Your mindset seems to be that a person has to "get past the world" in order to "get to the game". This problematic mindset is what TBC started pushing into players' minds. As it grew, ot contributed to the downfall of WoW as a whole. That was why, when vanilla was released, all the Everquest pros were outspoken against instances being in the game.

I think instances are fine, as long as developers can keep a lid on them. But then people start conflating non-world content with the actual game, then that's an indication that the concept of instances has been taken too far.

except dungeons are the biggest, and almost only reason people really go out into "the world" at all really, otherwise they still just afk in guild chat.

now compare wows boring world with nothing to do, to FFXIV's world where there is a teleport system and queue system for dungeons, but still reasons to go out into the MASSIVE world. Quests, hunts, fates, rare spawns, gathering, aether currents, levees etc

Wow is just dated and it sucks having to spend more time than needed staring at auto run imo.

This post was edited by ISellLeagueBoosts on Jul 29 2020 11:36am
Jul 29 2020 11:37am
Quote (ISellLeagueBoosts @ Jul 29 2020 01:34pm)
except dungeons are the biggest, and almost only reason people really go out into "the world" at all really, otherwise they still just afk in guild chat.

That problem you just described was even more prevalent in TBC than it was in vanilla. And sadly, it's also more prevalent in classic than it was in vanilla.

Back in the day, we used to kill the bosses in ZG, be done with the raid, and go out to Felwood to play the game (farm tubers, essences, herbs and engage in world pvp along the way).

Nowdays, people spending hours solo farming ZG trash and it's just pathetic. These types with the speedrunner mindset probably wouldn't even recognize an MMO if it bit them in the ass. WoW is more of a business to them than a game.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Jul 29 2020 12:02pm
Jul 29 2020 01:33pm
Just started playing wow classic for the first time since before the death knight release. I find the running around and questing to actually be pretty fun! I was super lost until I found questie & started learning the goldshire area yesterday. Also went on a journey to deadmines, it was kinda scary since we had to run past a bunch of high level stuff on the way there.

Does the burning crusade change the game a lot?
Go Back To World of Warcraft Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll