d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Star Wars Do-over > Latest Trilogy Will Irrelevant
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jul 16 2020 07:18pm
Quote (Flameyes @ Jul 16 2020 12:22pm)
I have never once said I loved tfa, I’ve considered it an incredibly mediocre movie since it came out, but it is still significantly better than either of the other movies of the trilogy. If they would have just stuck to the same easy formula that they did in that movie and created 2 more ‘safe’ movies I would agree that it is similar to a marvel trilogy. Instead they tried way too hard to change it up and it backfired, resulting in 2 horrendous movies rather than two subpar to average ones

Only TLJ was really that bad, like a straight 3/10, TFA while I thought was average, the vast majority of people were fucking gaga over it. It's only been after the other two that everyone pretends that they hated all of them. The last movie was actually better than I expected, but probably because my expectations were so fucking low. I'd put it solidly in the 5-6/10 area, which is where most marvel movies end up for me.

Quote (Blah58 @ Jul 16 2020 04:56pm)
But they have a head guy, so at least they have consistency and shit.

Who knows, maybe if there wasn't so much backlash following the second film we might have gotten a more sensible ending, but they decided to pull the plug and go a safer route. My point is that this is what you can ALWAYS except from Disney. They will always go the route that they feel will net them the most cash, even though this route never coincides with the best possible film. They will continue to push out mediocre to awful shit until people get fed up from it across the board, now just when something apparently sacred like SW is being redone. They figured they couldn't lose based on how bad the previous 4 films were, but the nostalgia goggles for SW fans are thicker than fuck.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 17 2020 07:45am
Quote (Malignanttumor666 @ Jul 15 2020 07:58pm)

good, delete that dogshit new trilogy
Gold: 63,142.89
Jul 18 2020 09:17pm
I don't see how a comparison to the prequels is relevant. The prequels were not made by Disney so they should not have any bearing on how we judge the job that Disney did.

What Disney really needs to do is adapt the Timothy Zahn trilogy. That series gave us the proper universe with a good conflict: The rebellion had won, but now they had to manage the challenge of galactic leadership. It had compelling characters (Thrawn, C'baaoth and Mara Jade) to serve as icons for the new generation of fans.

It's a logical sequel to the OT that expands on the same ideas (instead of going off in a weird thematic direction).

Gold: 9,280.04
Jul 19 2020 04:57pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Jul 18 2020 11:17pm)
I don't see how a comparison to the prequels is relevant. The prequels were not made by Disney so they should not have any bearing on how we judge the job that Disney did.

What Disney really needs to do is adapt the Timothy Zahn trilogy. That series gave us the proper universe with a good conflict: The rebellion had won, but now they had to manage the challenge of galactic leadership. It had compelling characters (Thrawn, C'baaoth and Mara Jade) to serve as icons for the new generation of fans.

It's a logical sequel to the OT that expands on the same ideas (instead of going off in a weird thematic direction).

they are two bad star wars trilogies, even if they were made by different studios they're still going to draw comparisons

as for the zahn trilogy, a different type of star wars story would have been nice though. that one sounds interesting
Gold: 6,001.00
Jul 19 2020 10:44pm
4d capitalism chess.

buy lucasfilms & announce trilogy reboot
>hype
make crap trilogy bc hype is already there
lose hype, but then you realize how many spidermans have been made and so you just wait five years. people are thirsty again
>hype
release the masterpiece that has been worked on the entire time, even during TFA.

Quote (Kayeto @ Jul 18 2020 11:17pm)

i agree that a change would've been nice. but i guess for their first reboot they just really felt the need to keep it as familiar as possible to not lose anyone. im sure eventually we'll see something like this, if not then what a pointless purchase.
Gold: 107.77
Aug 2 2020 12:18pm
Gold: 63,142.89
Aug 2 2020 09:48pm
As I think about it, this decision makes more sense.

If Disney had tried to make Episodes 10-12 (following the sequel trilogy), that would rely on the audiences caring about the characters from 7-9. Unfortunately, Rey sucks and Kylo is dead. So unless they are going to pull a Palpatine and bring Kylo back, Ep10 is not going to get audiences excited.

The original trilogy, however, still has generations of fans who would tune into see anything involving Han, Luke and Leia. So Disney has to go back to the well and squeeze some more juice out of the member berries. After all, that tree of member berries is what they actually paid $4bil for. It would be a waste not to use them.

By 2050, we are going to see every conceivable spinoff connected to the OT, right down to a Mos Eisley series where we learn why droids aren't allowed in the cantina.

Quote (MSX98 @ Aug 2 2020 02:18pm)

Announcing that the next trilogy will be a continuation of the Ewok movies would be the perfect April Fool's joke.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Aug 2 2020 09:50pm
Gold: 107.77
Aug 22 2020 09:17pm
Gold: 10,588.69
Aug 22 2020 09:28pm
I like the idea but idk how Disney can pull it off when those movies are already in existence..

Disney fkd up and should have listened better in the first place.
Gold: 10,025.00
Aug 22 2020 09:53pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 15 Jul 2020 12:54)
I'll never understand why so many people are this butthurt over the new trilogy. They're bad, but they're still better than the fucking prequels, which everyone apparently loves now? Honestly, the original three aren't even that good lol. I love them, but SW has never had amazing acting, story or direction, it's often been fucking terrible (see all of Return for example)

Disney did what they always do. They made a super generic action blockbuster with bad writing, mediocre characters, and lots of special effects. It was the exact same formula they use for all their superhero movies, which is mostly the same audience.

If people stopped feeding them cash for every piece of shit movie they push out, maybe theyll actually make something good.

I honestly don't understand why so many people act like SW 4-6 are the pinnacle of space movies. They are actually pretty unapologetically average in terms of acting/directing/writing.

The special effects were obviously crazy, and the sound design is amazing. But the same can be said for every star wars movie.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Aug 22 2020 09:53pm
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll