d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Any Doctors?
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 748.53
Aug 1 2020 10:22am
Quote (ZxFamily-GuyxZ @ Jul 31 2020 01:39pm)
You mean, I provided no symptoms on here lol....he's well aware, obv.

It's clear he's aware of my symptoms and even went on to say he cannot schedule surgery at the moment due to covid. That's when he offered a 3rd shot because while I am waiting, it "could" help. Though, the previous 2 failed.
I reported no change, so he believed nothing could be done...though, that's not how our previous discussion went.
So that's when I was fed up and asked for a referral for a 2nd opinion.

I saw the Dr. he recommended and I already have an MRI scheduled for Aug. 5th and a release can definitely be scheduled after.
I felt a HUGE different between the each doctor...I wondering, should the other doctor have ordered an MRI before giving me 3 cortisone shots?

Mri has no role in trigger finger diagnosis. No imaging modalities do in fact, but ultrasound would be the best to see thickening of the A1 pulley and some echogenic alterations/effusions in the synovial sheaths
Gold: 748.53
Aug 1 2020 10:32am
Quote (ZxFamily-GuyxZ @ Jul 31 2020 04:58pm)
I appreciate all the information you've provided. Truly.

The previous doctor did recommend desensitization and an aggressive course of therapy post op. I am assuming this is standard?
I mentioned everything to the current doctor and even brought the summary discussion notes from the visits with the previous doctor.

The surgery will get rid of my pain, but the range of motion/flexibility etc may not fully return. He didn't rule it out though.
I understand this of course. I had bi maxillofacial surgery in 2012. Still feels weird :lol:

It's gradually worsening as well...I'm using a 3 finger grip basically and it's destroying my thumb. Using more wrist and no hand. Sort of Thumb to pinky and not fingers torwards wrist and thumb over fingers. If that makes any sense LMAO.

Surgery seems like my only option after speaking with a 2nd doctor. I could get a 3rd opinion but I really liked the doctor. I don't think it's needed and I am getting pretty desperate.

If you haven’t tried the splinting yet, you may want to discuss it. But if it’s already pretty advanced, you could just go for definitive therapy aka surgery. What you describe also happens in recalcitrant and progressive cases, whereby you develop multiple trigger digits + contracture of a different joint in that same finger (PIP vs MCP now) due to compensation.

Also disagree with above that most surgeons are just after the money. Nothing wrong with being operative heavy too, as surgery is just fun, is definitive, and many surgeries like this one are small. I’d be surprised if they never offered splinting once and that would be a bit odd but who knows. Maybe they assumed it bc it has been ongoing for some time it sounds like? I also say this as someone who is going to be a neurosurgeon - often times surgery will be and should be offered on the first visit, and that’s appropriate therapy.
Gold: 32,090.31
Aug 2 2020 10:11am
Quote (Balla @ Aug 1 2020 09:32am)
If you haven’t tried the splinting yet, you may want to discuss it. But if it’s already pretty advanced, you could just go for definitive therapy aka surgery. What you describe also happens in recalcitrant and progressive cases, whereby you develop multiple trigger digits + contracture of a different joint in that same finger (PIP vs MCP now) due to compensation.

Also disagree with above that most surgeons are just after the money. Nothing wrong with being operative heavy too, as surgery is just fun, is definitive, and many surgeries like this one are small. I’d be surprised if they never offered splinting once and that would be a bit odd but who knows. Maybe they assumed it bc it has been ongoing for some time it sounds like? I also say this as someone who is going to be a neurosurgeon - often times surgery will be and should be offered on the first visit, and that’s appropriate therapy.

Surprised they didn’t offer therapy and then goes on to say that surgery should be offered first.

Says surgeons aren’t after money and implies surgeons give a shit but then says that surgery is fun. It’s not fun for the patient.

You also said that surgery is definitive and that’s exactly why my push for therapy first is going on here. One fuckup from the surgeon and he loses sensation of a nerve, whether that’s a motor or sensory one (possible digital nerve involvement iirc) and he could have bowstringing or loss of ROM. Surgery is the most likely outcome but therapy would only help his outcomes. Now I don’t know his specific situation other than what he’s described and if surgery is warranted now.

He more than likely goes to therapy after surgery anyways. There’s absolutely no reason not to go presurgery and try and worse case scenario at least get a baseline before being cut into.
Gold: 43.99
Aug 13 2020 04:05pm
Flexor Tenolysis +Tenosynovectomy

We spoke about the MRI today. There's a lot of inflammation that needs to be cleaned up.

Possible damage to the tendon sheath? It appears that it could be torn like a fork in the road. He said he won't really know until he's doing the procedure.

He doesn't believe he'll have to go up into the finger, but if it's needed, it'll be done at a different time.

Post op PT to help with getting some joint motion back.

That's pretty much it....hoping all goes well.
Gold: 1,250.00
Aug 13 2020 07:11pm
Quote (ZxFamily-GuyxZ @ Aug 13 2020 06:05pm)
Flexor Tenolysis +Tenosynovectomy

We spoke about the MRI today. There's a lot of inflammation that needs to be cleaned up.

Possible damage to the tendon sheath? It appears that it could be torn like a fork in the road. He said he won't really know until he's doing the procedure.

He doesn't believe he'll have to go up into the finger, but if it's needed, it'll be done at a different time.

Post op PT to help with getting some joint motion back.

That's pretty much it....hoping all goes well.

Good luck with a speedy recovery man, and some relief hopefully.
Gold: 43.99
Aug 18 2020 05:07pm

Forgot to post!

Some minor pain but lets gooooooooo....so happy to get it taken care of.
hAND WILL STAY LIKE THIS FOR 8 DAYS AND WE'LL SEE SEE how it goes from there.

Typing with 1 finger on my weak hand so I didn't bother to fix caps lol :D
Gold: 500.00
Sep 26 2020 04:31am
Did he do a full neuro exam with grip strength etc and what were the results?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll