d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Writing Assignment -- Voltaire
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jun 11 2020 11:28am
Assignment:Imagine that Voltaire has been transported by time machine to contemporary Americaand is at work on a new philosophical tale. Summarize the plot of his new book in three-fourpages. Then writeone-twopages in which you explain or analyze the significance of the tale you’ve just summarized. You have a lot of latitude in how you approach this topic, but keep in mind that part of what you’re tryingto do is show—at least indirectly—your understanding of Candide. Thus, it would probably be a good ideato assume that Voltaire is still a satirist and a free-thinker.... What people and/or institutions might he think worthy of attack?Why?

I can't even get started on this, it sounds so easy but as soon as I get involved in poems, poetry I just cannot relate.

Anyone available to help me get started? I can pay you in forum gold, I can get more just look at my pretty stars.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 11 2020 01:32pm
I LOVE the book Candide and love reading about Voltaire.

A few themes/topics I think Voltaire would take issue with today:

1. Religion. Voltaire's most famous writing criticized Christianity and ended up getting a ton of books (Candide being one of them) banned for blasphemy. I think Voltaire would find it humorous that ring-wing America has so much pride for the Constitution (of which his principles were fervently adopted by Jefferson particularly), freedom of religion and expression, yet goes bananas when people dont have "christian values" or kneel during the anthem, or do other things that are fully 100% legal and backed by the very Constitution that they live by.

2. Politics. I would see Voltaire viewing straight line voters as hilarious (on either side of the aisle). Voltaire prided himself as being a free thinker. In media today, whenever there is an event (take Covid for example) people have certain views. Within weeks, those views are immediately politicized and now it's "if you're a righty, you wanna open everything up and wind down the need for a mask cuz hey the left are a bunch of pussies. If you're a lefty, you think people should err on the side of caution, keep businesses closed and keep wearing masks, etc." I think Voltaire would find that fucking hilarious and would write passionately about the hypocrisy of both sides.

I don't know why you mention poetry. The assignment doesn't mention poetry once. View Voltaire as a jsp troll who just loves poking and proding at the idiots who fervently follow one way of thinking. Voltaire was the true definition of a fucking troll who just loved calling out the issues he saw.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jun 11 2020 03:21pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ 11 Jun 2020 14:32)

1. Religion. Voltaire's most famous writing criticized Christianity and ended up getting a ton of books (Candide being one of them) banned for blasphemy. I think Voltaire would find it humorous that ring-wing America has so much pride for the Constitution (of which his principles were fervently adopted by Jefferson particularly), freedom of religion and expression, yet goes bananas when people dont have "christian values" or kneel during the anthem, or do other things that are fully 100% legal and backed by the very Constitution that they live by.

2. Politics. I would see Voltaire viewing straight line voters as hilarious (on either side of the aisle). Voltaire prided himself as being a free thinker. In media today, whenever there is an event (take Covid for example) people have certain views. Within weeks, those views are immediately politicized and now it's "if you're a righty, you wanna open everything up and wind down the need for a mask cuz hey the left are a bunch of pussies. If you're a lefty, you think people should err on the side of caution, keep businesses closed and keep wearing masks, etc." I think Voltaire would find that fucking hilarious and would write passionately about the hypocrisy of both sides.

I don't know why you mention poetry. The assignment doesn't mention poetry once. View Voltaire as a jsp troll who just loves poking and proding at the idiots who fervently follow one way of thinking. Voltaire was the true definition of a fucking troll who just loved calling out the issues he saw.

You're a god among mere mortals. FINISHED THIS PAPER.
Gold: 11,996.69
Jun 13 2020 05:13pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 11 2020 03:32pm)

I don't know much about Voltaire, but you make me want to read Candide lel
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 13 2020 05:22pm
Quote (moutonguerrier @ Jun 13 2020 07:13pm)
I don't know much about Voltaire, but you make me want to read Candide lel

I highly recommend it!
Gold: 1,319.00
Jun 29 2020 09:49am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 13 2020 07:22pm)
I highly recommend it!

one thing I will actually agree with you on
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll