d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Pets > I Need Some Advice - First Time Dog Owner
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 161,509.00
Jun 9 2020 08:44am
I never owned a dog growing up, and my wife and I adopted one 1.5 years ago. He is a rat terrier, and he is now 2 years old. We have learned a lot, but here are 3 issues that remain. I could use some advice on why he is doing the behavior, and what we can do about it.

1. During walks he lunges and barks at people running, people walking other dogs, or people walking on the wrong side of the road directly towards us. He is perfectly fine with children doing anything at all, people that walk on the correct side of the road, and people or dogs in their own front yards (not on the street walking/running). What is weird about it is that as he barks and lunges he is always wagging his tail, and as the thing he freaked out about moves further away from us (after they pass us), he whines like he is sad that they are leaving.

2. He will chew/eat anything new in his environment. If a sock or wash cloth appears on the floor, it becomes his to chew and eat. If a shoe falls off the shoe rack, it will get chewed. If a bird poops in the backyard, he must eat it. If maple tree helicopter seed pods fall on our deck from the neighbors tree, that is his afternoon snack. We really wanted to put pea gravel around a fire pit out back, but we are afraid that he will eat the gravel. Do you think he will the gravel if we installed that?

3. He doesn't come when called unless we are inside and have food. If we are outside in our fenced in yard, even if I have high value food, he will not come. This is especially frustrating when we tell him it is time to come inside and he refuses to come in.

Thanks!
Gold: 620.79
Jun 11 2020 04:59pm
How much exercise does he get? I mean real exercise where is able run free, explore and sniff around or wrestle/play with other dogs.

Do you have someone you know with a well balanced dog who you can practice leash walking with? The idea is to catch them breaking focus before they escalate.

How often are feedings? Is the food left out or picked up if the dog doesn't eat it? How often do you give your dog food that isn't a meal? Ie treats?

It honeslty sounds like your dog just needs exercise more than anything. Leash walks don't cut it and neither does a few throws of a ball. They ideally need multiple hours of free roam time, with and without other dogs.

You can't correct bad behaviors if the dog has pent up energy, which it sounds like your main problem is.
Gold: 261.06
Sep 9 2020 03:51pm
I know this is old af but he sounds like a reactive dog. There's a lot of information if you search for reactive dog.
Go Back To Pets Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll