d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Gardening General Chat > Talk About Plants Here
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Nov 2 2020 10:08am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Oct 30 2020 11:49pm)
Thinking about doing a big gardening project next year as a proof of concept for a small business I can use to fund my computational adventures.

any idea what crop or slew of crops you'd like to try?
Gold: 260.11
Nov 2 2020 10:12am
Quote (thesnipa @ Nov 2 2020 10:08am)
any idea what crop or slew of crops you'd like to try?

No idea yet.

Whats profitable?
Nov 2 2020 10:22am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Nov 2 2020 11:12am)
No idea yet.

Whats profitable?

depends on what kind of market you're targetting.

lowest amount of time invested in selling = crops like pumpkins. plant late in ground, medium upkeep, 1 harvest, highish risk as its a long crop. set up somewhere and sell all in a short span, or passively sell on side of road.

highest profit = short run high yeild crops. cut-and-come-again lettuce, micro greens, peas, beans, etc. but u have to vend at a farmers market or something similar to get to the customer.

in general best profit is market vending, focus on high yield crops as a staple, mix in longer yield crops as u harvest them (tomatoes, peppers, berries, garlic/onions, etc), end year strong with long yield crops (carrots, potatoes, pumpkins, squash, etc).

my best advice, bite the bullet, build a few large raised beds (treated wood lasts 10+ years, raises house value), line at least one side with cattle panels, grow vertically, see how much u can grow and preserve, take a lot of good notes based on failures/successes with regards to frost date and track upkeep. also try to get into some perennials, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, columnar apple trees, etc.

also get into these two channels like crack:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MIgardener

great seed source for 99 cent see packets, and will teach u how to grow almost anything seed to harvest.

https://www.youtube.com/user/urbanfarmercstone

guy is a bit of a doofus, but great at market business setup.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Nov 2 2020 10:26am
Nov 2 2020 05:34pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Nov 2 2020 10:22am)
depends on what kind of market you're targetting.
lowest amount of time invested in selling = crops like pumpkins. plant late in ground, medium upkeep, 1 harvest, highish risk as its a long crop. set up somewhere and sell all in a short span, or passively sell on side of road.
highest profit = short run high yeild crops. cut-and-come-again lettuce, micro greens, peas, beans, etc. but u have to vend at a farmers market or something similar to get to the customer.
in general best profit is market vending, focus on high yield crops as a staple, mix in longer yield crops as u harvest them (tomatoes, peppers, berries, garlic/onions, etc), end year strong with long yield crops (carrots, potatoes, pumpkins, squash, etc).
my best advice, bite the bullet, build a few large raised beds (treated wood lasts 10+ years, raises house value), line at least one side with cattle panels, grow vertically, see how much u can grow and preserve, take a lot of good notes based on failures/successes with regards to frost date and track upkeep. also try to get into some perennials, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, columnar apple trees, etc.
also get into these two channels like crack:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MIgardener
great seed source for 99 cent see packets, and will teach u how to grow almost anything seed to harvest.
https://www.youtube.com/user/urbanfarmercstone
guy is a bit of a doofus, but great at market business setup.

I'll definitely look at this. The great thing about my work is I have almost total schedule flexibility, and pre-Covid there was an on campus farmer's market that I'm sure I could join.

I'll look at those channels. I'm going to need something to calm me post election lol
Nov 3 2020 07:01am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Nov 2 2020 05:34pm)
I'll definitely look at this. The great thing about my work is I have almost total schedule flexibility, and pre-Covid there was an on campus farmer's market that I'm sure I could join.

I'll look at those channels. I'm going to need something to calm me post election lol

MI gardener is how i learned 90% of what i know gardening lol.

but everything about markets i learned from Curtis Stone, again hes a blowhard and a bit of an arrogant guy, but really smart and highlights a lot of unique operations on his travels.
Gold: 2,118.35
Nov 8 2020 04:11am
Quote (Lil_Gueto @ Oct 30 2020 10:28pm)
Is it ok to put dog poop at base of orange tree (buried under leaves and a little dirt)?

I’ve heard conflicting things

This sounds stupid and probably is stupid but I’m genuinely curious if anyone can tell me. Like I understand compost is best but surely just adding the poop under some dirt is adding carbon to the soil and wouldn’t be bad for like birds that come to eat bugs around the trees?
Nov 8 2020 09:30am
Quote (Lil_Gueto @ Nov 8 2020 04:11am)
This sounds stupid and probably is stupid but I’m genuinely curious if anyone can tell me. Like I understand compost is best but surely just adding the poop under some dirt is adding carbon to the soil and wouldn’t be bad for like birds that come to eat bugs around the trees?

It isnt gonna do much. Won't hurt or geko

Except make a stinky tree

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Nov 8 2020 09:31am
Gold: 0.00
Nov 23 2020 07:47am
Quote (Lil_Gueto @ Nov 8 2020 04:11am)

dog droppings carry intestinal parasites that can be harmful to humans, and that only thorough composting will destroy the “bugs.”

The primary hazard present in dog manure is roundworms. However, canine feces can be used in the garden if the waste is first composted. the limiting factor for composting is the temperature of the pile.

I wouldn't advocate fertilizing herbivore pastures with manure from non-herbivores. I see Sarcocystis cysts in muscle tissue from virtually every mature cow I look at, courtesy of dogs & coyotes defecating in pastures. Additionally, two of the leading causes of abortion in sheep/goats(Toxoplasma gondii) and cattle(Neospora caninum) - are associated with accidental consumption of oocysts from feline(T.gondii) or canine(N.caninum) feces.

The best compost ive seen is Vermicompost. (using worms, and potentially using the water soluble worm castings daily as a liquid fertilizer, while also getting a huge load of worm castings every 3 months.

this is much MUCH Superior to chemical fertilizers, you can add too much minerals and nutrient with those chemical fertilizers and harm plants

but this is living bacteria and micro-organisms, you cant over fertilize.

its full of life, not dead nutrient.

these bacteria also prevent disease and pests... this is how nature does it ;) #learn from the exampleR.

too many people are focused on growing plants and what they can take out of the garden, and it depletes the soil too.

the secret is growing soil.. you want healthy, LIVING soil. full of bio-diversity and microorganisms

The soil grows the plant, not you. sorry.

yielding should really mean, how much soil you have created, and how much food you got out of it, not just how much food can i take.

and even to make money is easy, start small with a market garden, to get the feel of what you can provide.

the real secret is going to restaurants, you can sell ALL your veggies before you grow them and NOT waste time at farmers markets vending, unless you have leftovers etc..

super easy box knows maniii tings

#living soils

#bOX OUT

#COMPOST IS KING

This post was edited by eMptyBox on Nov 23 2020 08:02am
Nov 23 2020 08:01am
Quote (eMptyBox @ Nov 23 2020 07:47am)
dog droppings carry intestinal parasites that can be harmful to humans, and that only thorough composting will destroy the “bugs.”

The primary hazard present in dog manure is roundworms. However, canine feces can be used in the garden if the waste is first composted. the limiting factor for composting is the temperature of the pile.

I wouldn't advocate fertilizing herbivore pastures with manure from non-herbivores. I see Sarcocystis cysts in muscle tissue from virtually every mature cow I look at, courtesy of dogs & coyotes defecating in pastures. Additionally, two of the leading causes of abortion in sheep/goats(Toxoplasma gondii) and cattle(Neospora caninum) - are associated with accidental consumption of oocysts from feline(T.gondii) or canine(N.caninum) feces.

The best compost ive seen is Vermicompost. (using worms, and potentially using the water soluble worm castings daily as a liquid fertilizer, while also getting a huge load of worm castings every 3 months.

this is much MUCH Superior to chemical fertilizers, you can add too much minerals and nutrient with those chemical fertilizers and harm plants

but this is living bacteria and micro-organisms, you cant over fertilize.

its full of life, not dead nutrient.

these bacteria also prevent disease and pests... this is how nature does it ;) #learn from the exampleR.

#living soils

#bOX OUT

#COMPOST IS KING

vermicompost is indeed #1, but the scale u need to compost a whole garden is limiting. chickens are far more sustainable.

better to brew wormtea with the castings in my experience and apply directly. then broadcast with chicken compost generally.
Gold: 0.00
Nov 23 2020 08:04am
Quote (thesnipa @ Nov 23 2020 08:01am)
vermicompost is indeed #1, but the scale u need to compost a whole garden is limiting. chickens are far more sustainable.

better to brew wormtea with the castings in my experience and apply directly. then broadcast with chicken compost generally.

edited my post right when u posted. more content.

chickens are great, but thats not really a good comparison, as worms eat their weight daily, and the population is determined by how much compost you provide them

id say chickens are a nice addition to composting ;)

when i drain my tub for the worm juices, there is no need for brewing, just apply direct ;)

i can use the liquid daily, which is MORE than enough for almost any garden ive ever been to, also with a huge load every 3 months of castings thats odorless and fully composted into soil, which means i can create a garden on slabs of rock which is what im doing in some areas.

when i dont use the vermicompost method i use the 18 day compost method by geoff lawton

This post was edited by eMptyBox on Nov 23 2020 08:09am
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev1678910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll