d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Gardening General Chat > Talk About Plants Here
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
May 24 2020 10:38pm
It seems like plant based threads are popping up since it's now summer in the northern hemisphere (come at me flat Earthers) so let's talk about gardening!

I'm growing 6 tomato plants, 3 beefsteak and 3 cherry, outside in a planter box and 8 herbs on my windowsill in small pots. I have thyme, rosemary, mint, basil, parsley, cilantro, oregano and sage. They're growing pretty well, I just used some potting soil from walmart with a shake of miracle grow pellets on top of the soil.

Post garden pictures, projects, and link articles about effectively growing different crops or engineering different strains. All is welcome!
Gold: 1,900.00
May 26 2020 08:48am
Nice! Post your pics.

Your thread reminded me I need to germinate my Cannabis seeds (I know it’s late my damn landlord was a mindless prick and ruined my last batch of seeds by using the container it was in to collect water leaking from behind the toilet without realizing).
Gold: 3,336.99
May 26 2020 09:00am
i got this plants that look like lil white onions when i dig them up all over my yard.

they wont go away.
Gold: 0.00
May 27 2020 09:01am
Regardless of what you believe the guy obviously doesn't understand how it could be summer on a flat earth model

Just the fact that he doesn't understand that but mocks it

Who cares if it's flat or round or both, you sound like a ja
May 27 2020 09:03am
My wife and I were thinking of getting a greenhouse. Anybody have recommendations? Nothing too big, just something maybe 10ft to set up in the back yard.
Gold: 0.00
May 27 2020 09:06am
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 27 2020 09:03am)
My wife and I were thinking of getting a greenhouse. Anybody have recommendations? Nothing too big, just something maybe 10ft to set up in the back yard.

Make a cold frame and stop being so toxic, or dont
Gold: 2,489.69
May 27 2020 11:08am
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 27 2020 10:03am)

for starting seeds or growing plants out of season?

if starting seeds u may be disappointed, lower sunlight in early spring and late fall means you'll have bad germination rates and poor plants in most cases. out of season can work, but you'll likely find anything in your price range is flimsy crap.

i'd suggest instead a raised bed with 4 mil plastic over the top using PVC as a hoop house. this is the method ive used for years and i get an early start on many plants. right now i have a fully mature lettuce bed im already harvesting, and i got a later start than i wanted. still happy to get it.

alternatively if you're looking for more spring veggies consider fall planting of root vegetables. plants like onions, garlic, carrots, and parsnips can be planted in fall, grow a decent amount, last over winter, and continue to grow over early spring as the ground thaws. we get 2 crops of each every year this way, but u could also leave plants like carrots a full year for monstrous crops.

also there are many early spring plants that can handle frosts without batting an eye. spinach, kale, turnips, radish, etc. all of these can be planted as soon as the ground is workable.

generally, what type of space are you working with? what type of soil are you working with? and what types of crops are you wanting to grow that maybe u cant currently, or what other constraints do you have on what u are currently growing.
May 27 2020 11:24am
Quote (thesnipa @ May 27 2020 12:08pm)
for starting seeds or growing plants out of season?

if starting seeds u may be disappointed, lower sunlight in early spring and late fall means you'll have bad germination rates and poor plants in most cases. out of season can work, but you'll likely find anything in your price range is flimsy crap.

i'd suggest instead a raised bed with 4 mil plastic over the top using PVC as a hoop house. this is the method ive used for years and i get an early start on many plants. right now i have a fully mature lettuce bed im already harvesting, and i got a later start than i wanted. still happy to get it.

alternatively if you're looking for more spring veggies consider fall planting of root vegetables. plants like onions, garlic, carrots, and parsnips can be planted in fall, grow a decent amount, last over winter, and continue to grow over early spring as the ground thaws. we get 2 crops of each every year this way, but u could also leave plants like carrots a full year for monstrous crops.

also there are many early spring plants that can handle frosts without batting an eye. spinach, kale, turnips, radish, etc. all of these can be planted as soon as the ground is workable.

generally, what type of space are you working with? what type of soil are you working with? and what types of crops are you wanting to grow that maybe u cant currently, or what other constraints do you have on what u are currently growing.

Ideally I'd like to use it to start plants earlier. Right now I just have the tomatoes and herbs, but I'd like to get at least the basics planted next year. Celery, Cabbage, Carrots, Onions, etc. The stuff for classical soups and stews. Might also grow some Cucumbers for making home-made pickles. I hate most pickles so I want to see if I can create a good recipe from some home grown and can them so I can actually enjoy pickles.

Space I'm working with is just my back yard. Probably 50ft x 50ft. Not too big, but enough that I can get a good supply of crops for my wife and I to cook with while also reducing the space I need to mow.

Not sure on soil type. (As in I don't know what differentiates soil types) When I dig it's pretty black and teaming with life, so I'm pretty sure it's good soil quality.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on May 27 2020 11:24am
Gold: 2,489.69
May 27 2020 11:31am
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 27 2020 12:24pm)
Ideally I'd like to use it to start plants earlier. Right now I just have the tomatoes and herbs, but I'd like to get at least the basics planted next year. Celery, Cabbage, Carrots, Onions, etc. The stuff for classical soups and stews. Might also grow some Cucumbers for making home-made pickles. I hate most pickles so I want to see if I can create a good recipe from some home grown and can them so I can actually enjoy pickles.

Space I'm working with is just my back yard. Probably 50ft x 50ft. Not too big, but enough that I can get a good supply of crops for my wife and I to cook with while also reducing the space I need to mow.

Not sure on soil type. (As in I don't know what differentiates soil types) When I dig it's pretty black and teaming with life, so I'm pretty sure it's good soil quality.

first off, dont grow celery. fuck that, i tried, it's a futile exercise lol. u can try tho, its a bitch. same with cauliflower, hard to start, easy to wilt, and super bug prone.

based on the space u have id suggest raised bed only. maybe with a small 10'x10' or so patch of in ground. all of my raised beds are approx 40$ per in material, but that's pre-soil. i get free soil from my chickens via a compost pile ive had running for several years, so cost goes up a lot if u need to pay for soil. BUT dont pay for expensive soil, buy cheap 2$/bag top soild and amend it with compost.

compost is your biggest need if you're not doing it. just needs yard clippings and kitchen scraps to make exellent soil. a spot in your hard 1yard square is all you need really. dont bite on fancy rigs or designs, big pile in the yard, turn it and water often. buy a pitchfork, its 2 mins work once a week to flip, and water it when u water plants.

miracle grow, stay away. it kills the soil's biome and makes plants dependent on it. much better to use some standard 10-10-10 or so run of the mill fertilizer. but u can also mix compost tea once your pile gets going.

i personally dont start tomatoes, i buy them from a local greenhouse that's family owned for $1.49/3-pack. same with brocolli and peppers. i start enough from seed so this helps a lot with time management.

if you're set on starting your own tho a grow light for internal starting on a shelf somewhere is prob a better option.

meeting now, but ill stop back in later.
May 27 2020 11:34am
Quote (thesnipa @ May 27 2020 12:31pm)
first off, dont grow celery. fuck that, i tried, it's a futile exercise lol. u can try tho, its a bitch. same with cauliflower, hard to start, easy to wilt, and super bug prone.

based on the space u have id suggest raised bed only. maybe with a small 10'x10' or so patch of in ground. all of my raised beds are approx 40$ per in material, but that's pre-soil. i get free soil from my chickens via a compost pile ive had running for several years, so cost goes up a lot if u need to pay for soil. BUT dont pay for expensive soil, buy cheap 2$/bag top soild and amend it with compost.

compost is your biggest need if you're not doing it. just needs yard clippings and kitchen scraps to make exellent soil. a spot in your hard 1yard square is all you need really. dont bite on fancy rigs or designs, big pile in the yard, turn it and water often. buy a pitchfork, its 2 mins work once a week to flip, and water it when u water plants.

miracle grow, stay away. it kills the soil's biome and makes plants dependent on it. much better to use some standard 10-10-10 or so run of the mill fertilizer. but u can also mix compost tea once your pile gets going.

i personally dont start tomatoes, i buy them from a local greenhouse that's family owned for $1.49/3-pack. same with brocolli and peppers. i start enough from seed so this helps a lot with time management.

if you're set on starting your own tho a grow light for internal starting on a shelf somewhere is prob a better option.

meeting now, but ill stop back in later.

I bought tomatoes from walmart for like a buck each. I'd only want to start my own tomatoes if I'm doing it in a greenhouse or something.

Noted on Celery and Cauliflower. Those are two of my favorite vegetables so that's unfortunate. Might do it as a challenge in a few years if I get bored.
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
12310Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll