d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Graphic Design > Maintaining Quality > And Staying With Kb Limits
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 1,863.60
Trader: Trusted
May 18 2020 05:19am
Hey all,

I'm using Gimp to try to make myself some basic sigs and I was wondering how I can go about exporting at the highest quality, while staying under 70kb

My finished product looks great (to me), but when I export as a png it still ends up being 143kb, and comes out looking worse so that's with compression.

Any tips on getting the best final product while keeping it 70kb or under?
Gold: 29,070.01
May 18 2020 05:30am
It's almost impossible to use a png image as signature, unless its small or the quality is reduced by quite a bit (which destroys the purpose of png)
The only exception are pop-out signatures, as they require it to be png to have the transparency effect. In this case one of the options you have is to posterize the image first to reduce the file size.

In general I'd recommend you to save it as jpeg and adjust the quality until you're under 70kb.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 1,863.60
May 18 2020 05:50am
Quote (Sane @ 18 May 2020 07:30)
It's almost impossible to use a png image as signature, unless its small or the quality is reduced by quite a bit (which destroys the purpose of png)
The only exception are pop-out signatures, as they require it to be png to have the transparency effect. In this case one of the options you have is to posterize the image first to reduce the file size.

In general I'd recommend you to save it as jpeg and adjust the quality until you're under 70kb.

Oh I assumed that PNG had a better quality output for some reason, forgot that it was mainly for transparency. Thanks a lot, I’ll try jpg out - I’ve just always had a thing against jpg and associated it with low quality so I didn’t even try :wallbash:
Gold: 29,070.01
May 18 2020 05:56am
Quote (Soroush @ May 18 2020 01:50pm)
Oh I assumed that PNG had a better quality output for some reason, forgot that it was mainly for transparency. Thanks a lot, I’ll try jpg out - I’ve just always had a thing against jpg and associated it with low quality so I didn’t even try :wallbash:

In terms of quality png is far superior to jpeg, but unfortunately it's very hard to stay within the d2jsp limits.
Go Back To Graphic Design Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll