d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Path of Exile > Brand New To Poe
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5.70
May 11 2020 04:10am
furthest i've got so far is helping alira in a2 - just curious on a few things
found a whirlwind-esque duelist build i'll stick with so i can learn other aspects of the game afterwards (and just have something relatively simple to follow in the meantime)

1: best resources to learn about the game, mechanics, gems etc quickly?
2: are uniques better than rares or is it kinda just whatever item best fits your build?
3: is crafting much of a thing / fairly important?
4: a list of terminology (can prob find this on my own, but most important terms)
5: things 100% not to do as a new player, that prevents me from fucking up my character later
6: things i need to do early on to make my grind a little easier
7: general newbie tips

any pointers are appreciated, game's a little more diff from diablo series than i anticipated, especially the "no going back if you fucked up too much" skill tree thing.

This post was edited by HWNC on May 11 2020 04:12am
Gold: 40,210.50
May 11 2020 04:35am
Quote (HWNC @ May 11 2020 01:10pm)
furthest i've got so far is helping alira in a2 - just curious on a few things
found a whirlwind-esque duelist build i'll stick with so i can learn other aspects of the game afterwards (and just have something relatively simple to follow in the meantime)

1: best resources to learn about the game, mechanics, gems etc quickly?
2: are uniques better than rares or is it kinda just whatever item best fits your build?
3: is crafting much of a thing / fairly important?
4: a list of terminology (can prob find this on my own, but most important terms)
5: things 100% not to do as a new player, that prevents me from fucking up my character later
6: things i need to do early on to make my grind a little easier
7: general newbie tips

any pointers are appreciated, game's a little more diff from diablo series than i anticipated, especially the "no going back if you fucked up too much" skill tree thing.

I answer couple ones. Game is like 100x deeper than Diablo and learning takes time. YouTube is best place to search basic guides, most recent ones should be fine. Before you even start download item filter which hide some garbage dropping in game and show you right items. You can download item filter from filterblade.zyx

Other useful site is poe.ninja - item values (getting clue which items are worth something), builds section

1: YouTube (New player guides etc.)
2: Like 99% of the game uniques are garbage but some are build enabler and useful in some builds, also some uniques is very good with certain corrupt (vaal orbing item). Mostly your endgame char Will wear both uniques and rares.
3: Dont even try before you are familiar with game, it's very complicated and you Will lose currency If you dont know what you do. Most items you need can be traded from website much cheaper than crafting.But with crafting you can make most powerful and expensive items in game.
5: Dont waste your currency much while leveling like buy expensive items.
6:Pick some starter build guide from pathofexile.com/forum - helps a lot. Play league - much more active players -> trading is easier.
7: Not going to write book here

You can always respec skill points with orb of regret

Gold: 665.00
May 11 2020 04:36am
google/youtube

guild/build guide

regret orbs for your tree mistakes
May 11 2020 04:50am
Quote (LolBastard @ May 11 2020 03:35am)
I answer couple ones. Game is like 100x deeper than Diablo and learning takes time. YouTube is best place to search basic guides, most recent ones should be fine. Before you even start download item filter which hide some garbage dropping in game and show you right items. You can download item filter from filterblade.zyx

Other useful site is poe.ninja - item values (getting clue which items are worth something), builds section

1: YouTube (New player guides etc.)
2: Like 99% of the game uniques are garbage but some are build enabler and useful in some builds, also some uniques is very good with certain corrupt (vaal orbing item). Mostly your endgame char Will wear both uniques and rares.
3: Dont even try before you are familiar with game, it's very complicated and you Will lose currency If you dont know what you do. Most items you need can be traded from website much cheaper than crafting.But with crafting you can make most powerful and expensive items in game.
5: Dont waste your currency much while leveling like buy expensive items.
6:Pick some starter build guide from pathofexile.com/forum - helps a lot. Play league - much more active players -> trading is easier.
7: Not going to write book here

You can always respec skill points with orb of regret

thanks - item filter is something i wouldn't have even thought about
Gold: 632.75
May 11 2020 12:26pm
Determine your fun point on the casual/efficient spectrum of gameplay.

Casual ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Efficient
------0------1------2------3------4------5------6------7------8------9------10------

This post was edited by Ramy on May 11 2020 12:26pm
May 11 2020 11:29pm
Quote (Ramy @ May 11 2020 11:26am)
Determine your fun point on the casual/efficient spectrum of gameplay.

Casual ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Efficient
------0------1------2------3------4------5------6------7------8------9------10------

purely in fun? 7-8
i consider 9-10 being "twitch streamers playing for 12 hours to achieve one single goal"
Gold: 632.75
May 11 2020 11:34pm
Quote (HWNC @ May 12 2020 01:29am)
purely in fun? 7-8
i consider 9-10 being "twitch streamers playing for 12 hours to achieve one single goal"

That's pretty high up on the spectrum. So, you should watch guides on youtube and other people playing the game through live streams, vods, level progression videos, race videos, etc. You will learn quicker than playing the game yourself.
May 11 2020 11:38pm
Quote (Ramy @ May 11 2020 10:34pm)
That's pretty high up on the spectrum. So, you should watch guides on youtube and other people playing the game through live streams, vods, level progression videos, race videos, etc. You will learn quicker than playing the game yourself.

i've been putting in a few more hours and i'm starting to grasp the gameplay some more - the gem system is straightforward but also a clusterfuck because of the socketing system (and how truly random a 6link in the right colors is)
the item filter suggestion has been *highly* valuable as i've been able to save up a lot more of my id/tp scrolls from not grabbing junk (but also picking things up purely for mats), though i think it could probably be a little stricter.

i guess mats are highly valuable in this game though, and i love rerolling shit (ala d3) so i'll have to try and hold back lmao
i appreciate the words.

This post was edited by HWNC on May 11 2020 11:38pm
Gold: 9,205.00
May 12 2020 12:29am
6-links are a luxury.
Remember that socket colors depend a lot on str/dex/int requirements of the item.
Let's say you need 6 reds - you use a high str req armour for easy coloring.
You can get lucky and roll off-colors or force some combinations with the crafting bench.
Gold: 3.00
Warn: 30%
May 12 2020 02:08am
just play and have fun honestly best part is when you are new
Go Back To Path of Exile Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll