d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Anyone Have Indoor Herb/veg Hydroponics?
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 34.00
May 9 2020 03:07pm
Looked like some seeds have grown tails from misc herbs/veggies- so I popped them into the sponges and into the rig they went.
Gold: 260.11
May 9 2020 10:22pm
Anybody know how to germinate Thyme, Rosemary or Spearmint? I'm growing 8 pots of herbs and these are the only ones i"m having trouble with.

In fact, why don't we make a general gardening thread?
May 10 2020 12:39am
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 9 2020 09:22pm)
Anybody know how to germinate Thyme, Rosemary or Spearmint? I'm growing 8 pots of herbs and these are the only ones i"m having trouble with.

lol i was hoping there would be one on here man.

What method are you using to germinate them? tossed in soil and called it good or did you do it diff than other seeds you grew?
May 10 2020 11:31pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 9 2020 09:22pm)

i just checked a bunch more of my seeds and i'd say more than 50% of all seeds are now growing tails and ready to hit the rockwool soon :D
Gold: 0.00
May 11 2020 08:00am
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 9 2020 10:22pm)

Those are the easiest things to grow, infact they're like weeds in my garden.

Are you growing from seed?

I've had the same rosemary growing for over 12 years, it's like a family member (;

Thyme grows wild and so does mint, it's very easy, make sure your seeds are warm and moist, not too wet, and especially not too deep in the soil, people over estimate the depth , not necessary

I like the paper towel bag method

Recently I use peet moss and use a tray for microclimate and have literally sprouts less than 12 hours every time now

(I water with fish, snail, frog poop for ennoculations, I am a huge fan of worm castings, sea minerals (90+ minerals not just NPK that's ignorance), and above all , BIOCHAR mixed with permaculture principles, I currently have a 450 sq ft hugelkultur garden with over 10,000 lbs of wood in ground acting as a sponge, I only have to water my babies for first two weeks and I don't have to water for next 20 years or so (unless baby plant)

This post was edited by eMptyBox on May 11 2020 08:11am
May 11 2020 09:45am
Quote (eMptyBox @ May 11 2020 09:00am)
Those are the easiest things to grow, infact they're like weeds in my garden.

Are you growing from seed?

I've had the same rosemary growing for over 12 years, it's like a family member (;

Thyme grows wild and so does mint, it's very easy, make sure your seeds are warm and moist, not too wet, and especially not too deep in the soil, people over estimate the depth , not necessary

I like the paper towel bag method

Recently I use peet moss and use a tray for microclimate and have literally sprouts less than 12 hours every time now

(I water with fish, snail, frog poop for ennoculations, I am a huge fan of worm castings, sea minerals (90+ minerals not just NPK that's ignorance), and above all , BIOCHAR mixed with permaculture principles, I currently have a 450 sq ft hugelkultur garden with over 10,000 lbs of wood in ground acting as a sponge, I only have to water my babies for first two weeks and I don't have to water for next 20 years or so (unless baby plant)

Yeah I'm growing from seed. I'm growing oregano, rosemary, mint, thyme, parsley, basil, cilantro and sage.

At first I did all at 1/4th inch depth using a stick to just push the seeds into the soil. Used a ruler to mark 1/4th inch on the stick, then pushed a seed hole to that depth, dropped a seed in, and lightly covered. I got blooms from the basil, parsley, cilantro, and sage from that. The others didn't grow for ~3 weeks so I tried just sprinkling a few seeds over top and watering. I got a ton of Oregano sprouts from that.

I went to walmart yesterday and noticed they had pregrown mint and rosemary, so I just got one of each and replaced the soil.

So I still need to grow thyme. Google says getting thyme sprouted from the seed can be somewhat difficult. I've tried putting them 1/4th in deep and directly on top of the soil. I've used red light from a grow light for a week at a time and still nothing.

I've also got 6 tomato plants outside that are growing nicely. But I just got those from the store as small plants that have grown several times their size now. So that's nice. At least I can do some.
May 11 2020 09:50am
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 11 2020 10:45am)
Yeah I'm growing from seed. I'm growing oregano, rosemary, mint, thyme, parsley, basil, cilantro and sage.

At first I did all at 1/4th inch depth using a stick to just push the seeds into the soil. Used a ruler to mark 1/4th inch on the stick, then pushed a seed hole to that depth, dropped a seed in, and lightly covered. I got blooms from the basil, parsley, cilantro, and sage from that. The others didn't grow for ~3 weeks so I tried just sprinkling a few seeds over top and watering. I got a ton of Oregano sprouts from that.

I went to walmart yesterday and noticed they had pregrown mint and rosemary, so I just got one of each and replaced the soil.

So I still need to grow thyme. Google says getting thyme sprouted from the seed can be somewhat difficult. I've tried putting them 1/4th in deep and directly on top of the soil. I've used red light from a grow light for a week at a time and still nothing.

I've also got 6 tomato plants outside that are growing nicely. But I just got those from the store as small plants that have grown several times their size now. So that's nice. At least I can do some.

even that is too deep unless its a bean or something like that, the shallow method is key, u just want it barely hidden from your view.. MINIMAL.

dont give up on your thyme, could of been bad batch of seed.

all of these plants you mentioned i have personally cloned from a branch too, get one and multiply it if you'd like.

thyme grows wild from seed, i wouldnt fully believe it imo, it just needs the right microclimate/healthy seed.

pro tip for planting your tomatoes, you can plant them sideways and the root system will quadruple and you'll have a much healthier plant ;)
ALSO some tomato branches are JUST LEAVES. the other branches have FRUIT

idk bout you but im not trying to grow leaves ;) GL
Gold: 579.30
May 13 2020 08:47pm
i need help about ph those fuccking china ph tester suck
does the paper tester work good
the one with the color?
May 14 2020 08:15am
Quote (vonvonpapa @ May 13 2020 08:47pm)
the one with the color?

They're pretty accurate would recommend an electronic one?

Maybe compare between if wanted, btw wood Ash is highly alkaline if you need to change ph, use a little

Oxygen starts to leave the water at about 78 degrees

Gl
May 14 2020 10:01am
Quote (vonvonpapa @ May 13 2020 09:47pm)
the one with the color?

Paper is okay depending on how fine you want. It will get it to maybe within 0.5 ph units.

Electronic meters honestly aren't good unless you are calibrating them every day you use them.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on May 14 2020 10:01am
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll