d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Need A Vba Potential Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 74.00
Apr 30 2020 02:33am
So I pull Reuters live data for trading prices of oil, linked to my spreadsheet

every other second the number will change on my spreadsheet, these numbers form graph
Swap SGO 10 ppm, 26.98, the next 5s, its gonna be 28 or something, next 2s, its gonna be traded at 29

sometimes i wanna capture certain datapoints
i'm wondering if there's a way to save thse datapoints as and when i want it into a table/list

i could just look at the candle stick charts on Reuters, but sometimes i just want some real numbers in spreadsheet to play around with, and i cant remember every number that was traded

This post was edited by Receptor on Apr 30 2020 02:42am
Gold: 50.00
May 1 2020 06:05am
You could of course save that data, but if you're pulling new data every few seconds that is a massive amount of data you're going to be storing. If what I'm imagining its not just a couple of rows of data per pull, I'm assuming you've got quite a bit of data updating. Do you need it that often? Maybe instead of saving it every pull save it every minute? Still could amass a lot of data but doable. And I mean, all in all the amount of data you're pulling won't amount to a large file size but it is a lot of information to sift through.

Let me know, I'm fairly competent in VBA and data management. I don't know the stock market side of it, but as far as pure numbers go I can probably help ya.
May 1 2020 07:10am
Quote (3oDAtlas @ May 1 2020 08:05pm)
You could of course save that data, but if you're pulling new data every few seconds that is a massive amount of data you're going to be storing. If what I'm imagining its not just a couple of rows of data per pull, I'm assuming you've got quite a bit of data updating. Do you need it that often? Maybe instead of saving it every pull save it every minute? Still could amass a lot of data but doable. And I mean, all in all the amount of data you're pulling won't amount to a large file size but it is a lot of information to sift through.

Let me know, I'm fairly competent in VBA and data management. I don't know the stock market side of it, but as far as pure numbers go I can probably help ya.

would it be possible for an ad hoc save?
so its like me just clickinga button save, then it could capture the time stamp, and the number

doesnt have to be every minute auto save, more like, when i click a button it would save it
ill try get a picture for illustraiton
Gold: 50.00
May 1 2020 07:14am
Nah I understand what you're thinking.

And yeah, it should be as simple as that, we would have to store the raw data from the last pull somewhere (potentially another sheet) that just is called "Raw Data" or something and that's constantly changing and feeding your graphs (You might already do this??) and then when you press the button it fires a function off that grabs that last data and we toss it in a another sheet called "Historical Data" than appends to the sheet the most recent data. Or we just make it create a whole new sheet that is labeled like "TimeStampX - Historical Data" but you could generate a lot of pages that way, but if thats OK with you that would be the cleanest way so you can easily split up all the info.

Or simply like you said, add a column that is a time stamp and then when looking at the raw data, you create a table and filter it by the date column.
May 2 2020 02:17am
Quote (3oDAtlas @ May 1 2020 09:14pm)
Nah I understand what you're thinking.

And yeah, it should be as simple as that, we would have to store the raw data from the last pull somewhere (potentially another sheet) that just is called "Raw Data" or something and that's constantly changing and feeding your graphs (You might already do this??) and then when you press the button it fires a function off that grabs that last data and we toss it in a another sheet called "Historical Data" than appends to the sheet the most recent data. Or we just make it create a whole new sheet that is labeled like "TimeStampX - Historical Data" but you could generate a lot of pages that way, but if thats OK with you that would be the cleanest way so you can easily split up all the info.

Or simply like you said, add a column that is a time stamp and then when looking at the raw data, you create a table and filter it by the date column.

new sheet would be ok
May 2 2020 04:30pm
resolvedf ty
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll