d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Who's Working From Home?
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 27 2020 05:04pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 27 2020 03:59pm)
I think a lot of the corporate higher-ups are resisting against WFH because they know damn well that it will be hard to roll it back after the crisis. Once home office has been proven feasible on a large scale and also sufficiently effective, it's here to stay.

Which would be a good thing for almost everyone I think. More time to spend with family, less automobile accidents, less pollution, smaller commutes, smaller corporate offices, etc. Hell, it might even solve the fucking housing crisis that we have.
Gold: 500.00
Mar 27 2020 05:13pm
Been wfh for a while
Gold: 4,400.67
Mar 27 2020 05:18pm
Quote (thundercock @ 28 Mar 2020 00:04)
Which would be a good thing for almost everyone I think. More time to spend with family, less automobile accidents, less pollution, smaller commutes, smaller corporate offices, etc. Hell, it might even solve the fucking housing crisis that we have.

Absolutely. But it would make it harder for managers to control their underlings, and it might cause lower consumption levels. Less people buying cars, less people going to restaurants, white-collar workers buying less suits, less people going to bars after work, etc.

And, which might be the more critical point: it would heavily magnify the divide between privileged professionals and paper pushers on the one side and the underprivileged working-class and service-industry folks on the other side. More WFH would, on aggregate, still be a big plus for society, but it wouldnt come without explosive social side effects.
Gold: 7.77
Mar 27 2020 05:33pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 27 2020 04:04pm)

Will never happen in our lifetime here in America. We're too in love with some bullshit narrative that what it means to a contributing, functioning member of society is to report to a place of work for at least 40 hours/week in order to make other people a lot of money.
Gold: 57.00
Mar 27 2020 05:39pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 27 Mar 2020 19:18)
Absolutely. But it would make it harder for managers to control their underlings, and it might cause lower consumption levels. Less people buying cars, less people going to restaurants, white-collar workers buying less suits, less people going to bars after work, etc.

And, which might be the more critical point: it would heavily magnify the divide between privileged professionals and paper pushers on the one side and the underprivileged working-class and service-industry folks on the other side. More WFH would, on aggregate, still be a big plus for society, but it wouldnt come without explosive social side effects.

good

This post was edited by excellence on Mar 27 2020 05:40pm
Gold: 3.33
Mar 27 2020 06:16pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 27 2020 10:59pm)
I think a lot of the corporate higher-ups are resisting against WFH because they know damn well that it will be hard to roll it back after the crisis. Once home office has been proven feasible on a large scale and also sufficiently effective, it's here to stay.

I've felt it's the opposite, at least from what I've seen in finance. 3 weeks ago all of PwC started WFH, even those on active audits.

Simple things like bigger companies having far more laptops than desktops also makes a huge difference. Having proper IT departments that can facilitate WFH by configuring your VPN, etc.

This post was edited by dro94 on Mar 27 2020 06:17pm
Gold: 0.00
Mar 27 2020 06:21pm
as of this week, pretty much homebound
vastly prefer working from my office
but it's nbd i guess
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 27 2020 06:26pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 27 2020 04:18pm)

A lot of tech companies offer remote only options. Ultimately, if a business finds that it's MORE productive with WFH policies, then why WOULDN'T they do it. Obviously not every industry can do this, but you're right that it would fundamentally change the dynamics of society (haves vs. have nots, cars, food courts, etc.)

Quote (Handcuffs @ Mar 27 2020 04:33pm)
Will never happen in our lifetime here in America. We're too in love with some bullshit narrative that what it means to a contributing, functioning member of society is to report to a place of work for at least 40 hours/week in order to make other people a lot of money.

I don't think a lot of people think that but I live in California and have no idea what work is like on the East coast, South, etc.
Gold: 7.77
Mar 27 2020 06:27pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 27 2020 05:26pm)
I don't think a lot of people think that but I live in California and have no idea what work is like on the East coast, South, etc.

I also live in California, but we run in very different political circles.
Gold: 8,912.55
Mar 28 2020 06:16am
I was given the option to work from home a couple weeks ago but there really isn’t that big of a risk bc I stay in my office and isolated. You don’t have that option in the poll 🤔
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll