d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Books & Literature > Question About Third Person Writing.
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 555.92
Warn: 10%
Mar 18 2020 09:49am
So I been practicing writing my whole life, I wrote scenes, stories, outlines, everything. I’m finally at the point in putting it all together and writing a novel. Here’s my question;

There’s books that are written simple, what the person said, did, and what they sense. This is where I like to write.

Then there’s books that explain everything. From the corner store selling iPods, to everything they feel, even if it’s unrelated. They take three pages to tell what the first style says in the first page.

An example would be ‘Shade of Vampire.’ Versus ‘Lady Midnight.’ The first is just kind of basic, you get what you need to know detail wise and you focus on character interaction. The second explains everything to you down to the details.

Should I just be trying to write my own style , or should I been trying to adapt my writing style to become more descriptive about the details like Lady Midnight ?
Gold: 758.00
May 10 2020 05:16pm
I think it’s best to stick with what you’re most comfortable with in order to write things down as efficiently as possible. Focusing on the actually language can both take place during the editing phase and can detract from your primary objective of having every bit, scene, and phase contribute to the forward momentum of the plot.
If you care more about describing what the street looks like than how a character’s external and internal worlds changed after he gets mugged while witnessing an abduction in your first draft, you may find that you took way too long to describe what should have been a concise scene. You can always add or change later.
Gold: 555.92
Warn: 10%
May 15 2020 12:49pm
Quote (JadeBlade23 @ May 10 2020 07:16pm)
I think it’s best to stick with what you’re most comfortable with in order to write things down as efficiently as possible. Focusing on the actually language can both take place during the editing phase and can detract from your primary objective of having every bit, scene, and phase contribute to the forward momentum of the plot.
If you care more about describing what the street looks like than how a character’s external and internal worlds changed after he gets mugged while witnessing an abduction in your first draft, you may find that you took way too long to describe what should have been a concise scene. You can always add or change later.

Yes I agree with everything you said. I was worried at first chasing my dreams of becoming a writer but I feel blessed. Thank you!
Go Back To Books & Literature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll