d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Dow Jones Base Jumping > Taking The Plunge
Prev1415416417418419619Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
May 22 2022 10:51am
Quote (joshchx @ May 22 2022 09:19am)
I’m guessing we aren’t even close to a bottom

So far hedge fund wise I’ve only heard of archegos and Melvin being shut down.

Until one of the major firms goes tits up, we’re not close.(my opinion, not financial advise)

The true function of hedge funds is to hedge against things like this. That's why they're called hedge funds. They aren't supposed to go up as much as a regular market investment, but when the market goes down they should be hedged against it, so they don't go down as much.

Problem is lots of hedge funds take risky investments to get large returns because there's a superstar culture around high returning hedge funds. Which is stupid, because that's not the job of a hedge fund in the first place.

Rant over.

On subject of what you said though. Our current situation is pretty different from a 2008 level event. 2008 happened because a massive proportion of the country was underwater on their mortgages. If we want to predict large institutions going under, we need to look at leverage and see if there are any large sectors that are over-leveraged. Housing is expensive, but only a small portion of people are underwater on their mortgage. I've heard rumblings about corporate real estate being a massive bubble, but I haven't seen any followup on it.

The situation was basically that a store changes its address by one point (4530 E. Montgomery vs 4531 E. Montgomery) to evade previous income data, and then claim a large year is typical for their business to secure good real estate financing on a questionable location. The bank then loans them more cash than they can actually afford. I'm not sure if this is going to blow up or not. Companies tend to be a lot more insulated than individuals and also tend to have assets to reposses that don't go down at the same time as the building. So we'll have to wait to see if it turns into anything. A pandemic probably would have already triggered that if it was a real systemic issue with how bad brick and mortar stores got hit.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on May 22 2022 10:54am
Gold: 32,161.71
May 23 2022 11:54am
Quote (dro94 @ May 20 2022 12:24pm)
anyone got strong opinions on Zoom?

Earnings today

Insane put activity on it

Will these fkers get paid?
Gold: 3.33
May 23 2022 12:38pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 22 2022 04:51pm)
The true function of hedge funds is to hedge against things like this. That's why they're called hedge funds. They aren't supposed to go up as much as a regular market investment, but when the market goes down they should be hedged against it, so they don't go down as much.

Problem is lots of hedge funds take risky investments to get large returns because there's a superstar culture around high returning hedge funds. Which is stupid, because that's not the job of a hedge fund in the first place.

Rant over.

On subject of what you said though. Our current situation is pretty different from a 2008 level event. 2008 happened because a massive proportion of the country was underwater on their mortgages. If we want to predict large institutions going under, we need to look at leverage and see if there are any large sectors that are over-leveraged. Housing is expensive, but only a small portion of people are underwater on their mortgage. I've heard rumblings about corporate real estate being a massive bubble, but I haven't seen any followup on it.

The situation was basically that a store changes its address by one point (4530 E. Montgomery vs 4531 E. Montgomery) to evade previous income data, and then claim a large year is typical for their business to secure good real estate financing on a questionable location. The bank then loans them more cash than they can actually afford. I'm not sure if this is going to blow up or not. Companies tend to be a lot more insulated than individuals and also tend to have assets to reposses that don't go down at the same time as the building. So we'll have to wait to see if it turns into anything. A pandemic probably would have already triggered that if it was a real systemic issue with how bad brick and mortar stores got hit.

Inflation is putting people on the breadline and rising interest rates are causing additional pressure on variable rate homeowners. If this ends up being a recession, it will be a classic case of people tightening their spending due to lower disposable income, and in some cases a collapse in net worth from speculative investments in property, crypto, EVs, and ESG bubbles

Government debt is hardly talked about either. For 18 months, governments were spending at wartime levels to keep the private sector going. Highly leveraged governments have less manoeuvrability to respond to crises and rising interest rates exacerbates the issue

What the stock market has going for it right now is that earnings are still quite strong, which is why I'm not as pessimistic as many. Growth is still overvalued, but the rest is ok

This post was edited by dro94 on May 23 2022 12:39pm
Gold: 260.11
May 23 2022 01:44pm
Quote (dro94 @ May 23 2022 01:38pm)
Inflation is putting people on the breadline and rising interest rates are causing additional pressure on variable rate homeowners. If this ends up being a recession, it will be a classic case of people tightening their spending due to lower disposable income, and in some cases a collapse in net worth from speculative investments in property, crypto, EVs, and ESG bubbles

Government debt is hardly talked about either. For 18 months, governments were spending at wartime levels to keep the private sector going. Highly leveraged governments have less manoeuvrability to respond to crises and rising interest rates exacerbates the issue

What the stock market has going for it right now is that earnings are still quite strong, which is why I'm not as pessimistic as many. Growth is still overvalued, but the rest is ok

Yeah I don't see this as a catastrophic thing yet. There isn't a huge portion of the economy that is over-leveraged that I can tell.
Gold: 3.33
May 23 2022 03:00pm
Zoom :hail:
May 23 2022 09:48pm
Quote (dro94 @ May 23 2022 04:00pm)
Zoom :hail:

Ya it looked good then all hell broke loose after hours with snap
Gold: 63.45
Warn: 30%
May 24 2022 01:14am
Quote (Pharaohmon @ May 22 2022 03:19am)
Might be a good sign we hit bottom lol

It's not that hard, when dollar is raising everything is crashing, because it is still the value reserve worldwide. Just check 2007/2008 and 2020 if you don't believe me, it's always been the same pattern.
Now it is on a break but I still expect it to raiser higher.
Also the fact that the plancton think its the bottom, means we aren't close to it.
Gold: 8,000.00
May 24 2022 06:05am
Snap down 30% after profit warning

This post was edited by KrWWW on May 24 2022 06:06am
May 24 2022 08:21am
Gotta put some cash to work today

Roku
Twilio
Coinbase
Fb
Gold: 4,200.69