d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Building A Pc
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 180.00
Feb 14 2020 11:48am
Hey guys, wanted some opinions out there about actually building a PC.

I've never built one myself from scratch before - most extensive thing I've done is replace a CPU Fan.
If I plan on putting a fair amount of money into parts, is it worth it to try myself to save some money, or pay someone to make sure it is done right?
If I screw up, how likely am I to damage the hardware?

Couple options I found locally is Microcenter @$250 and Geek Squad @$200 (can I even trust geek squad to do it right? lol)

TYIA for the feedback
Gold: 10,655.00
Feb 14 2020 11:59am
Quote (TheWhiteNinja @ Feb 14 2020 12:48pm)

I've never built one myself from scratch before - most extensive thing I've done is replace a CPU Fan.
If I plan on putting a fair amount of money into parts, is it worth it to try myself to save some money, or pay someone to make sure it is done right?

Couple options I found locally is Microcenter @$250 and Geek Squad @$200 (can I even trust geek squad to do it right? lol)

TYIA for the feedback

Building a PC is easy. Hell, changing the CPU cooler is probably the hardest part.
As for cost, you will save $$ building your own, plus you will have the knowledge that you have decent parts as well. Rather than the just enough parts that come in prebuilts.
Gold: 180.00
Feb 14 2020 12:01pm
Quote (Ghot @ Feb 14 2020 01:59pm)
Building a PC is easy. Hell, changing the CPU cooler is probably the hardest part.
As for cost, you will save $$ building your own, plus you will have the knowledge that you have decent parts as well. Rather than the just enough parts that come in prebuilts.

Thanks for words of encouragement :)

just to clarify on above, If I had someone to do it for me I would still order all the individual parts and give them to someone to be put together
Not really a pre-built. Even counting for labor save a bunch that way
Gold: 10,655.00
Feb 14 2020 12:12pm

Yeah, I understood what you meant, about having someone else put it together for you.

There is really no need for that. Desktop computers are easy to build. All you need is a philips head screw driver and an LED flashlight. It's like adult legos.
First time through, it may take you an hour or two. Folks who have built a few already can do it in like 30 mins or less.

There's a generic how to build computers vid in my profile. It's a bit old, but nothing much has really changed.
Gold: 39,837.69
Feb 14 2020 12:37pm
Quote (TheWhiteNinja @ Feb 14 2020 11:48am)

TYIA for the feedback

Build yourself. It looks scary but it’s easy. Just do your research. YouTube is great. Lots of tech you tubers who do weekly builds and have build guide and all that. You can learn really fast what goes where and how to install it. There’s a guide for almost every part out there on YouTube. Plus when you build it, you learn what things are and how to trouble shoot and fix issues and all that.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 14 2020 03:14pm
This is the guide I recommend for people building their first PC. I've had personal friends use this and say it was incredibly easy to follow.
Gold: 113.00
Feb 14 2020 07:25pm
I like Paul's Hardware 3-Part How to Build a PC in 2019 videos.

He does three builds in the set of videos, AMD Budget PC, AMD Mid-Range PC, and an upper end Intel build..

Definitely worth checking out, I recommend those three videos to any new builder.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll