d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1280281282283284910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7.77
Mar 30 2020 08:51pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Mar 30 2020 07:44pm)
in this thread its a chore to track shit. dudes are on at different times, even simple conversations can be 6 pages deep.

ya ive talked to some older folks and they have talked about how this is similar to aids in the social sense and the govts response. socially in how there was a lot of misinformation on spread, who is affected, etc. govt, well that's obvious.

honestly after reading about the 80s aids epidemic I never thought id live through that type of ignorance, at least not at that scale. but, here we are, living it. my neighbors are having people over all the time, TP runs, science denial, super churches refusing to follow orders. its fucking wild.

I think the major thing, in my mind, that sticks out in this situation and that was very different than the AIDS epidemic is Trump's commitment to appearances and optics surrounding American exceptionalism. There was such a strong desire to downplay covid-19 as just "a flu" and that we had "the virus contained", but nothing could have been further from the truth. The short attention span of media cycles is concerning in this regard, because now an incredible amount of people think Trump's response has been of quality and agree with him when he said that he "Knew it was a pandemic before it was even called a pandemic".

I wish American culture allowed for a more humanistic approach to holding people accountable. We don't want leaders to recognize that they fucked up. Instead, they should just spin, pivot, and deny. Our country wasn't ready for covid-19 to hit us, and it shows. Own up to it and take action.
Gold: 2,489.69
Mar 30 2020 08:52pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Mar 30 2020 09:48pm)
Despite technological, medical, and scientific advancements, humanity is roughly the same. It is indeed wild.

Big difference now is that we have online communities for the crazies to all congregate and share their bad ideas together. Like PARD!

it doesn't help that we're all being pulled in two directions.

people are getting smarter, but with google in your pocket you don't need to remember shit.

people are getting more critical, and being conditioned to question everything.

sexual liberation of women, women are not to be seen as sexual objects.

social connections via social media, social disconnect via social media.

in a macro lens its honestly tough to tell if we're improving or stagnating on average. we're a pack of average yahoos being carried by elite scientists and computer programmers. we're basically the sixers with AI on the roster getting carried.
Gold: 2,489.69
Mar 30 2020 08:55pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Mar 30 2020 09:51pm)
I think the major thing, in my mind, that sticks out in this situation and that was very different than the AIDS epidemic is Trump's commitment to appearances and optics surrounding American exceptionalism. There was such a strong desire to downplay covid-19 as just "a flu" and that we had "the virus contained", but nothing could have been further from the truth. The short attention span of media cycles is concerning in this regard, because now an incredible amount of people think Trump's response has been of quality and agree with him when he said that he "Knew it was a pandemic before it was even called a pandemic".

I wish American culture allowed for a more humanistic approach to holding people accountable. We don't want leaders to recognize that they fucked up. Instead, they should just spin, pivot, and deny. Our country wasn't ready for covid-19 to hit us, and it shows. Own up to it and take action.

America is crippled by success. we're the strongman in the football game. we cant prove our technique is best, or our game knowledge. but good luck stopping us from hitting the endzone. this kind of proven pattern makes it hard for anyone to admit we're struggling. I have been wondering lately how different a progressive potus's path would be. surely not as braggadocios, but would anyone except maybe Bernie do a south korea shut down? the reality we have here is people, corporations, and even churches are showing they're paycheck to paycheck. its a machine that cant be stopped, unless we stop it.
Gold: 22,189.49
Mar 30 2020 09:42pm
Christian guy: {Makes 50,000 masks per day to save lives}
Liberal sphere: "Fuck christianity your god is false fuck the bible boycott mypillow"

That was todays events basically
Gold: 57.00
Mar 30 2020 10:56pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 30 Mar 2020 23:42)
Liberal sphere: "Fuck christianity your god is false fuck the bible boycott mypillow"

yep. they will turn on whoever implements any sort of treatment for this virus and also whichever governors allow said treatment to be used in the state the govern
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Mar 30 2020 11:55pm
Quote (Ghot @ 31 Mar 2020 04:36)
Even Taiwan says China is lying about the numbers.

that's a triple fail:

- first of all, why "even taiwan"? they hate china, and would have all the reasons in the world to lie about them if they had to
- secondly, they don't have to because ofc china lies. i've been saying that over and over again
- lastly, the point i'm making here is that it's hypocritical for someone to defend trump's behaviour and propaganda, but then point out that believing china is stupid. BOTH is stupid
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Mar 31 2020 12:04am
Quote (Goomshill @ 31 Mar 2020 05:42)

that was 'today's events' from the perspective of a professional hack, who completely ignores the serial bungling, pettiness, and indefensible behaviour of his cult leader, and desperately looks for idiotic tweets of some nobodies, trying to misrepresent them as 'the liberal sphere', in order to manufacture outrage. you're worse than fox news.

absolutely pathetic.
Gold: 1.93
Mar 31 2020 12:27am
Literally seeing 70+ year olds out in public everywhere i go.
Self isolating 3 weeks now, only going out to walk my dog.
Gold: 260.11
Mar 31 2020 12:33am
Quote (Plaguefear @ Mar 31 2020 01:27am)
Literally seeing 70+ year olds out in public everywhere i go.
Self isolating 3 weeks now, only going out to walk my dog.

I saw a lot less people out today than I did last week, so that's good. My town has just crossed the 100 mark a day or two ago, so we're getting ready to go into full "oh fuck" mode as the exponential takes off.
Gold: 1.93
Mar 31 2020 12:45am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Mar 31 2020 05:33pm)
I saw a lot less people out today than I did last week, so that's good. My town has just crossed the 100 mark a day or two ago, so we're getting ready to go into full "oh fuck" mode as the exponential takes off.

19 cases one death here.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1280281282283284910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll