d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > First Time Playing Monk > Any Advice?
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 217.84
Jan 29 2020 06:50pm
Hi!

Thanks to all three of you for chiming in! Not going to lie, I haven’t read through it all yet but will in detail shortly. The one question I have that’s relevant to basically all the posts is - you can use skills for other classes?? Isn’t salvation listed as a guardian skill but I can still use it as a monk?
Gold: 31,200.10
Jan 29 2020 07:52pm
Quote (bootytheplumber @ Jan 29 2020 06:50pm)
Hi!

Thanks to all three of you for chiming in! Not going to lie, I haven’t read through it all yet but will in detail shortly. The one question I have that’s relevant to basically all the posts is - you can use skills for other classes?? Isn’t salvation listed as a guardian skill but I can still use it as a monk?

Absolutely, doesn't charge as fast but it works.

And just my 2 cents, I use padded ee robes. Just works better for me.

So it's more of a player's prefence to use stat robes with tons of life or less damage with more defense. Also depends on what gear you can get.
Gold: 6,452.50
Jan 29 2020 08:35pm
moncul
Gold: 4,499.93
Jan 30 2020 04:30am
Quote (bootytheplumber @ 29 Jan 2020 19:50)
Hi!

Check out the abilities section of the LS portal here

https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/index.php?g=20

If you add 5 ability points to a current class ability, you have a charge rate of 66% if you add 5 points to an unlocked class ability, you charge at 40%, and if you add those same 5 points to an ability from a still locked class, you only have a charge rate of 27%
Jan 30 2020 08:39am
THANK YOU - to everyone who has offered advice/help here, but also in game! A few questions on a couple of comments!

Quote (Pick @ Jan 29 2020 03:25pm)
Go stat robe/charm. EE robes are garbage imo

Get a nice heal charm and put skill point in salvation around 30 and up

It will get tougher/slower at higher levels, but this is the best strategy imo

Thanks! I will check this out and see what gear I can find. I assume its preferable that your main charm is a nice heal charm with stats/ee? or is it efficient to get a cheaper stat only charm and then swap in a EE heal charm and whistle a lvl 1 monster?

Quote (Cheeya @ Jan 29 2020 04:02pm)
If you already explore to 70 you could engage easy mode for 3reg and 1ep max. Generally speaking 1ep should give less trouble than 3 reg mobs at that level. I’ve never been keen on hybrid/salv builds but with mediocre gear I guess it could be a different story.

I just read about Easy mode yesterday. It seems like a no brainer to use it if I am soloing and struggling? I expect the EXP is less, since less mobs but if you have to go to town much less to regen it should be worth it?

Quote (mclarke @ Jan 29 2020 04:17pm)
this is correct. see post above.

I personally don't think monk is worth the hassle.
my suggestions:
climb again same character but with feeder/samurai/paladin. I regularly climb my main character as a barb.
New character and get to monk again
group climbs

I've given up ladder slasher for long periods of time due to the monk climb being awful. (ninja won't be any better either)

Just invested heavily into a dex robe and high ee dagger so I should be good for groups.

It sounds like a lot of people agree with you about Monk, but I still want to give it a try :-D . Can you explain what you mean about reclimbing with the same character? Do you mean playing all the feeder characters through passing the MQ one time and then Sam/Paladin once to passing each? And then repeating the pricess on a new character?

Is that just to maximize GP per character? (You only get the bonus for passing MQ as a class 1x per character right? i.e. Paladin only gets me 6gp for passing MQ on my main character 1x, right?)

Trying to understand the benefit of what you are saying correctly!

Gold: 16,643.48
Jan 30 2020 12:22pm
Quote (bootytheplumber @ Jan 30 2020 02:39pm)
It sounds like a lot of people agree with you about Monk, but I still want to give it a try :-D . Can you explain what you mean about reclimbing with the same character? Do you mean playing all the feeder characters through passing the MQ one time and then Sam/Paladin once to passing each? And then repeating the pricess on a new character?

Is that just to maximize GP per character? (You only get the bonus for passing MQ as a class 1x per character right? i.e. Paladin only gets me 6gp for passing MQ on my main character 1x, right?)

Trying to understand the benefit of what you are saying correctly!

Depends how much GP's mean to you, if you don't really care about GP's why not just climb with the same character as a barb/samurai/paladin over and over, means you stack up the proficiencies. However, each time you attempt and even pass a MQ with a character you've already unlocked you will only receive 1 GP. Also you cannot unlock new classes. you must use your highest class unlocked to unlock a higher class for that character.
Doing a climb with a new character will allow you to gain the normal amount.

so lets use my characters to explain fully:
https://forums.d2jsp.org/user.php?c=3&i=193561

My character TEHTANK, is currently a barb but has monk unlocked. when i MQ i still get to pick keys, but no matter if i get it right or not, it'll say i've failed.
My secondary character Cheesypie is currently a samurai with only samurai unlocked on that character, if i pass with a samurai, i'll get 6 GP's.

So why am i not using Cheesypie?
3 reasons:
1. My club set is significantly better than my other sets and is easiest to climb with.
2. I'm trying to increase my club proficiency.
3. My club proficiency is highest on TEHTANK

as you may also notice, i've got to monk on a second character already.

This post was edited by mclarke on Jan 30 2020 12:27pm
Jan 30 2020 02:59pm
thanks! thats what I thought and I appreciate the clarification!

one last quick clarification question - my character Booty, I've MQd with Fighter, Samurai and Paladin. If I went and played through a Rogue for the first time on Booty, would I be able to pass and get 2 GP or only 1 since I have already passed with a different feeder class?

Thanks

This post was edited by bootytheplumber on Jan 30 2020 03:10pm
Gold: 31,200.10
Jan 30 2020 05:22pm
Quote (bootytheplumber @ Jan 30 2020 03:59pm)
thanks! thats what I thought and I appreciate the clarification!

one last quick clarification question - my character Booty, I've MQd with Fighter, Samurai and Paladin. If I went and played through a Rogue for the first time on Booty, would I be able to pass and get 2 GP or only 1 since I have already passed with a different feeder class?

Thanks

Nope. You'd have to start a new a character and pass with the new one to get 2 points. So, for instance, Booty2 you could make and climb that one for first 3 classes and get more points.
Jan 30 2020 07:22pm
Quote (subwolf22 @ Jan 30 2020 06:22pm)
Nope. You'd have to start a new a character and pass with the new one to get 2 points. So, for instance, Booty2 you could make and climb that one for first 3 classes and get more points.

Great, thanks!

Appreciate all the help everyone! I am going to try Monk for a while...might as well right!
Gold: 7,805.79
Jan 30 2020 07:28pm
Quote (bootytheplumber @ Jan 30 2020 08:22pm)
Great, thanks!

Appreciate all the help everyone! I am going to try Monk for a while...might as well right!

This event is tough because of 60% increased monster difficulty bs
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll