d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Other Games > Magic: The Gathering >
ISO
> Anybody Play Mtg Irl?
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Topic New Poll
Gold: 555.92
Warn: 10%
Jan 21 2020 12:48pm
Me and my girl started to play but were magic noobs with a small collection of cards. I bought 2 of the 35 card packs each for us to beef up our decks, but our decks still kinda suck I think. We’re mostly using filler BS cards it feels like.

My question is, which packs / sets have the best cards ??
Gold: 0.00
Jan 21 2020 02:58pm
It really depends on what your looking at playing. There are multiple different formats.

Standard
Pauper
Pioneer
Modern
Commander
Legacy
Vintage

https://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/formats

here's the link to each format and the rules/cards that are able to be played

I would recommend if you are a newer player, maybe getting into standard might be fun, as it is fairly easy and can be cheaper(Since most packs are still available and in print)
The only downfall of standard is, as new setblocks come into rotation, the old ones come out, so in a way, your always looking into purchasing cards to keep up to date with standard.

As for other formats, it's in a way harder to get into, as there are so many more cards out there from earlier dates that can be harder to find/obtain.

There are also formats that are more limited (Sealed/Draft) Where it's a fee each time you play
Sealed you get 6 boosterpacks, and you make the best deck out of the cards from those packs(Your Pool), it really helps having some knowledge to the game, so you can learn how certain cards synergize really nicely with each other
Draft you get 3 boosterpacks, and sit at a table with mulitple players (Normally 8), each person opens 1 pack, pulls a card from it, and passes it to the left or right(Rotates for each pack). And then once all cards are distributed you build the best 40card deck out of your pool(The cards you picked)
I wouldn't recommend the limited formats unless your more familiar with the game, expecially drafting, cause having knowledge of the entire set that you are drafting and synergies of the cards in the set, can really help with your choices for what you are picking out of each pack your handed.

This post was edited by xXiDiedXx on Jan 21 2020 03:01pm
Jan 21 2020 03:40pm
Quote (xXiDiedXx @ Jan 21 2020 03:58pm)
It really depends on what your looking at playing. There are multiple different formats.

Standard
Pauper
Pioneer
Modern
Commander
Legacy
Vintage

https://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/formats

here's the link to each format and the rules/cards that are able to be played

I would recommend if you are a newer player, maybe getting into standard might be fun, as it is fairly easy and can be cheaper(Since most packs are still available and in print)
The only downfall of standard is, as new setblocks come into rotation, the old ones come out, so in a way, your always looking into purchasing cards to keep up to date with standard.

As for other formats, it's in a way harder to get into, as there are so many more cards out there from earlier dates that can be harder to find/obtain.

There are also formats that are more limited (Sealed/Draft) Where it's a fee each time you play
Sealed you get 6 boosterpacks, and you make the best deck out of the cards from those packs(Your Pool), it really helps having some knowledge to the game, so you can learn how certain cards synergize really nicely with each other
Draft you get 3 boosterpacks, and sit at a table with mulitple players (Normally 8), each person opens 1 pack, pulls a card from it, and passes it to the left or right(Rotates for each pack). And then once all cards are distributed you build the best 40card deck out of your pool(The cards you picked)
I wouldn't recommend the limited formats unless your more familiar with the game, expecially drafting, cause having knowledge of the entire set that you are drafting and synergies of the cards in the set, can really help with your choices for what you are picking out of each pack your handed.

Right, honestly that’s way above the level we’re at. A friend just gave us some cards to get started so I guess we’re playing traditional because we use any card we want, but that’s not saying a lot. Hell we played three nights and on the fourth night (like 3 days ago) we learned you can add creatures together to block with. So we’re pretty much using the cards we have and still learning.

I’m going to read that link but wanted to drop a reply first. See I come from yugioh and I know if someone gave me a bunch of filler cards to learn with, I’m still not experiencing the “end game” cards, is this true to magic or no?
Jan 21 2020 03:48pm
MTG Arena, Honestly i would recommend that, mess around a bit on it, see how you enjoy it, you get some starter cards and ability to get more packs and such (Gold/Gems) Really good way to learn the game, learn the formats and understand the rules, and experience some different formats.
Jan 21 2020 04:05pm
Quote (xXiDiedXx @ Jan 21 2020 04:48pm)
MTG Arena, Honestly i would recommend that, mess around a bit on it, see how you enjoy it, you get some starter cards and ability to get more packs and such (Gold/Gems) Really good way to learn the game, learn the formats and understand the rules, and experience some different formats.

Right, I’ll check it out, appreciate it. Thanks for takin your time to help me out !
Jan 21 2020 10:44pm
No Problem! I've played MTG for about 20 years on and off. So i've got a fairly vast knowledge of the game. :)
Gold: 6.00
Jan 22 2020 11:54pm
find tribes you like. Or syngeries and find fun things to do if you are not into the competitive scene!
Gold: 95.50
Jan 23 2020 06:11am
I wouldn't buy any specific cards or packs for learning

MTG arena can be a very good structured way to learn but I wouldn't play it much past that.
Standard is honestly a pretty boring format and a huge money dump if you ever wanted to play IRL.

I would learn the game and start exploring some of the eternal formats from EDH/Commander, Modern, peasant/pauper etc

The really fun formats where your investment usually stays valid for nearly forever.

cardkingdom has things called "battle decks" and they are usually very awesome for the money, they have synergy because they are professionally built and they are very affordable ($10 a deck). I would highly recommend buying stuff like this vs buying anything else or premade from WOTC.

PM if you have any more questions. I also have discord if you prefer that :D

This post was edited by Bayonet on Jan 23 2020 06:11am
Jan 23 2020 12:49pm
standard is the easist to jump into and learn with top tier decks pricing 3-400 dollars.

And mono colored decks are less then 100 and very effective.
Gold: 350.00
Jan 23 2020 09:42pm
Aside from the playing advice already given, I would suggest watching some youtube vids that can give you an idea of how interaction works. Things like the stack, priority, decision making, card types, timing etc that will be good to learn from experienced players. Channel Fireball has a bunch of good modern, standard and legacy content that will start to make sense the more you watch.

If you have 3+ people to play, try picking up some Commander pre-cons - they are designed to be at a fair power level and are playable out the box. Multiplayer singleton format that will provide variety and fun many times over.
Go Back To Magic: The Gathering Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Trade New Topic New Poll