d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows >
Poll > Current Strength Of The Star Wars Brand > Scale Of 1 To 10
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 63,142.89
Jan 14 2020 09:00pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jan 14 2020 08:46pm)
I personally think they only brought him back because all the fanbabys cried that snoke wasn't as good of a villain as the Emperor.

perhaps I'm just misunderstanding the timeline here but as I understand it...

JJ had made TFA with the intention of Snoke being the main villain. Snoke was taken away while JJ was not looking. By the time JJ was back in charge, Snoke was already off the table.

Gold: 10,025.00
Jan 14 2020 09:06pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Jan 14 2020 08:00pm)
perhaps I'm just misunderstanding the timeline here but as I understand it...

JJ had made TFA with the intention of Snoke being the main villain. Snoke was taken away while JJ was not looking. By the time JJ was back in charge, Snoke was already off the table.

Yeah and? TLJ killed snoke without giving him an epic backstory, so people bitched so JJ brought back the Emperor because he was a "good" villain.
Gold: 63,142.89
Jan 14 2020 09:43pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jan 14 2020 10:06pm)
Yeah and? TLJ killed snoke without giving him an epic backstory, so people bitched so JJ brought back the Emperor because he was a "good" villain.

ah, now i see what you meant

I mean, obviously I disagree with the decision to bring him back. But my inclination is to cut JJ a little slack because they killed off his intended villain while he wasn't looking. He had to come up with something in a pinch. Kylo would have been the ideal choice, but fitting the development in the running time would have required some extra work. Bringing back an old char saved a ton of time since his development was done. Palpatine as the villain was like the cinematic equivalent of fast food. Not very satisfying, but some times you're in too much of a hurry to do the right thing.

All the being said, it doesn't really address the heart of my original comment.

so that they can instead allow a female to accomplish the task with relative ease.

the real crime was letting Rey dispatch him so easily.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Jan 14 2020 10:02pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Jan 14 2020 10:11pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Jan 14 2020 08:43pm)
ah, now i see what you meant

I mean, obviously I disagree with the decision to bring him back. But my inclination is to cut JJ a little slack because they killed off his intended villain while he wasn't looking. He had to come up with something in a pinch. Kylo would have been the ideal choice, but fitting the development in the running time would have required some extra work. Bringing back an old char saved a ton of time since his development was done. Palpatine as the villain was like the cinematic equivalent of fast food. Not very satisfying, but some times you're in too much of a hurry to do the right thing.

All the being said, it doesn't really address the heart of my original comment.

the real crime was letting Rey dispatch him so easily.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure JJ had nothing beyond tfa planned when he did tfa, that's one of the reasons the trilogy is so all over the place, it wasn't planned from the get go to be a cohesive trilogy. JJ did one movie then fucked off and they brought in RJ and gave him zero direction and zero information about the overall story, because they didn't have anything planned.

RJ did what he did, whether you like it or not, he made something out of nothing. He also very clearly set up story elements for the next movie (something JJ failed to do with his first movie beyond Rey/Luke meeting). Then JJ ignored all the set up of TLJ and put together what I can only describe as fanfiction.

I think it is a little disingenuous to say Rey dispatched him "easily" / alone. The entire scene was meant to signify that she had a lot of help from the entirety of the Jedi order from the past, they put their strength into her so she would be able to defeat him.

I'm not saying they did it well, or showed it properly, or that it was a good idea, just that it was what happened.

Less of a feminism Mary Sue thing and more if a "everyone together" type thing.
Gold: 26,774.27
Jan 15 2020 10:22am
Depends on what is next, who direct it and if its going to be a movie to push a political agenda or just a movie to enjoy. This trilogy sucked outside of the force awakens which was good and rogue one was incredible (not included in the trilogy)

The last jedi was horrible and rise of skywalker was a clusterfuck with a bunch of fan fiction stuff

This post was edited by Nihility on Jan 15 2020 10:22am
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jan 15 2020 10:30am
The masses will continue to flock, just like to every superhero movie.
Gold: 139.39
Warn: 20%
Jan 15 2020 10:38am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 15 Jan 2020 08:30)
The masses will continue to flock, just like to every superhero movie.

Ironic with that sig ava :bonk:
Gold: 107.77
Jan 15 2020 01:15pm
Disney Hunter X Huntet live action movie when?
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll