d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > World Football - Soccer > Gary Neville Speech Against Racism > After Incident During Spurs Vs Chelsea
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Dec 23 2019 03:52pm

can't say i disagree with him. these incidents unfortunately happen on a regular basis in the premier league, i think it's only appropriate to ask the league to step up. i also like his message about empowering players. really a shame that sky feeled the need to intervene in order to not offend the bigots amongst their viewers...
Gold: 2,570.91
Dec 23 2019 05:12pm
Just last week, here in Spain, in the 2nd division game between Rayo and Albacete, the game was abandoned after the players from Albacete refused to play the second half. The reason was that their player Zozluya was being constantly harassed by Rayo's antifa ultras for allegedly being a nazi sympathizer (he had some pictures in social media with a paramilitary group that fought against Russian occupation and was backed by the Ukranian government, but is now listed as a neo-nazi group). Zozluya went crying into the dressing room at half time, and his team mates refused to play, saying that it was unsuitable for any worker to work under these harassment conditions. The ref called up the FA, and decided asked for permission to postpone the game, which he got. It also helped that Rayo sympathized with Zozluya's situation and supported Albacete's petition.

This is something teams should probably do if they suffer this kind of harassment. If the whole team refuses to play, then there's not much the FA or league can do. Yes, they can deduct points or fine the club, but that would cause a huge shitstorm that would only hurt their reputation.
Dec 23 2019 05:23pm
Quote (zarkadon @ 24 Dec 2019 00:12)
Just last week, here in Spain, in the 2nd division game between Rayo and Albacete, the game was abandoned after the players from Albacete refused to play the second half. The reason was that their player Zozluya was being constantly harassed by Rayo's antifa ultras for allegedly being a nazi sympathizer (he had some pictures in social media with a paramilitary group that fought against Russian occupation and was backed by the Ukranian government, but is now listed as a neo-nazi group). Zozluya went crying into the dressing room at half time, and his team mates refused to play, saying that it was unsuitable for any worker to work under these harassment conditions. The ref called up the FA, and decided asked for permission to postpone the game, which he got. It also helped that Rayo sympathized with Zozluya's situation and supported Albacete's petition.

This is something teams should probably do if they suffer this kind of harassment. If the whole team refuses to play, then there's not much the FA or league can do. Yes, they can deduct points or fine the club, but that would cause a huge shitstorm that would only hurt their reputation.

in what way? racial abuse? direct and serious personal threats? intimidation?

anyway, it's great that they stood up against harrassment, even if it was 'just' politically motivated, and awesome from the opponents not trying to capitalise from their boycott.
Dec 23 2019 05:55pm
Quote (fender @ 24 Dec 2019 00:23)
in what way? racial abuse? direct and serious personal threats? intimidation?

anyway, it's great that they stood up against harrassment, even if it was 'just' politically motivated, and awesome from the opponents not trying to capitalise from their boycott.

Constantly being called a "nazi", a "fucking nazi", a "murderer", etc as well as threats.

It was apparently nonstop during the first half, leading to the stadium's PA to ask the ultras to stop the chants on several occasions.
Dec 23 2019 07:41pm
Quote (zarkadon @ 24 Dec 2019 00:55)
Constantly being called a "nazi", a "fucking nazi", a "murderer", etc as well as threats.

It was apparently nonstop during the first half, leading to the stadium's PA to ask the ultras to stop the chants on several occasions.

so basically they pulled an 'exshillence' on him? interesting...
Gold: 5,100.00
Dec 24 2019 02:59am
So in case a couple of peeps call you names and you don’t like the result thus far you just decide to stop

Not saying these chants are okay but anyway it‘s a tough situation
Gold: 150.69
Dec 24 2019 04:17am
Quote (Andi @ Dec 24 2019 09:59am)
So in case a couple of peeps call you names and you don’t like the result thus far you just decide to stop

Yes they should.
Dec 24 2019 06:29am
Quote (Andi @ 24 Dec 2019 09:59)

somewhat questionable to tie such incidents to the result in order to fabricate an argument against it.

anyway, there's a difference between 'a couple of ppl calling you names' (which i am sure most professionals are pretty used to) and racial abuse - and in that case they should absolutely stop playing, until people learn that racism is simply unacceptable.
Gold: 5,100.00
Dec 24 2019 09:11am
Quote (fender @ 24 Dec 2019 13:29)
somewhat questionable to tie such incidents to the result in order to fabricate an argument against it.

anyway, there's a difference between 'a couple of ppl calling you names' (which i am sure most professionals are pretty used to) and racial abuse - and in that case they should absolutely stop playing, until people learn that racism is simply unacceptable.

While I of course understand where you are coming from I fail to see where to draw the line.
What is racial abuse?
If people throw bananas on the pitch during a corner is it „racial abuse“?
If people call you monkey is it „racial abuse“?
Is it moreover a reason to stop playing?

Don’t think there is a definiton on that and as I fail to see how that should be defined I don’t think it’s applicable.

Only solution to me is that the clubs immediately ban this by using massive security + immediately remove those people from the stands

In my book just stopping to play also facilitates massive abuse - in important matches I will just call on a bunch of neutral people that then use „racial abuse“ in case matches don’t seem to go my way
Dec 24 2019 09:45am
Quote (Andi @ 24 Dec 2019 16:11)
While I of course understand where you are coming from I fail to see where to draw the line.
What is racial abuse?
If people throw bananas on the pitch during a corner is it „racial abuse“?
If people call you monkey is it „racial abuse“?
Is it moreover a reason to stop playing?

Don’t think there is a definiton on that and as I fail to see how that should be defined I don’t think it’s applicable.

Only solution to me is that the clubs immediately ban this by using massive security + immediately remove those people from the stands

In my book just stopping to play also facilitates massive abuse - in important matches I will just call on a bunch of neutral people that then use „racial abuse“ in case matches don’t seem to go my way

The thing is, can you imagine this kind of situation being a thing in other jobs? Would it be reasonable to force a female teacher that was found to have a tinder profile to keep working while a group of backwards conservative parents are shouting "STAY AWAY FROM OUR KIDS, SLUT!" outside the building?

I mean, as much as I love banter in football, I do feel like workers have the right to do their jobs without feeling harassed. And it's arbitrary to not treat football players as any other worker.
Go Back To World Football - Soccer Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll