d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Happens When The Boomers Start Retiring?
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Dec 10 2019 07:36pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Dec 10 2019 07:40pm)
They money will not be gone, it will be spent and go around in the economy. And the pulling out will take place gradually over the span of several decades. The economy will have enough time to adjust.

Furthermore, I fully expect lots of boomers to continue working gigs and odd jobs after retiring.

Also keep in mind that huge sums will be handed on to the next generation through inheritance. Inequality will explode between unprecedented numbers of young-ish "inheritance millionaires" on the one side and young-ish people struggling to provide for their broke, geriatric parents on the other. This "heir class" wil be looking for new investments for all their inherited money.

You can't inherit what is taken by the state. The government is going to take it all.

Believe me on this: The Baby Boomers are not going to die gracefully. They are going to stay alive as long as possible. The vast majority of them will go to nursing homes. Those are paid for by Medicaid, and you will pay the $10,000 a month to live there until you qualify for Medicaid because the only income you have is social security and maybe a pension you will get to sign away because it isn't enough....the government will go back 5 years and do an intrusive forensic investigation to see if you've given an of their money away to your kids.

Do you think the most narcissistic generation will die gracefully in their homes when they can malinger on this planet for another decade? They've set up systems to hold their children up by the ankles and shake all of the money out of their pockets but it won't be enough, because they didn't have enough kids, because they wanted stuff.

You might be able to tell I'm cynical from working in this field. Sent someone to long-term care today. Him and wife $70k in savings, and he will qualify for medicaid before the end of next year, and she will have to find a way to live on her own. All that money going wipe his ass and keep him alive even though he has no idea where he is. But he is a lot better..he isn't beating anyone up anymore and he is going to a safe place.

This post was edited by Skinned on Dec 10 2019 07:37pm
Gold: 260.11
Dec 10 2019 07:36pm
Quote (GLYC123 @ Dec 10 2019 12:30pm)
We're gonna be SOL. Lots of jobs available that no modern people want, but we need.

Plumbers, truck drivers, likely farmers, basically more of the blue collar jobs.

Lots of great jobs will also open up. Tons of healthcare workers are getting ready to retire in the next 20 years, but also a ton of bullshit administrators that effectively do nothing for their companies.
Gold: 620.79
Dec 11 2019 05:46am
Quote (GLYC123 @ Dec 10 2019 01:30pm)
We're gonna be SOL. Lots of jobs available that no modern people want, but we need.

Plumbers, truck drivers, likely farmers, basically more of the blue collar jobs.

If we offer paid skills training and fair wages people will run to the jobs.

Part of the problem is we are expected to fund our own schooling then you get qualified and companies offer you $2 over minimum wage.

It's not that peope don't want to do the work, it's that we're not paying wages high enough to incentivize people even showing up. Why would somebody come weld metal inhale toxic fumes and sweat endlessly for $18 per hour when you can push boxes around a warehouse for the same money?
Dec 11 2019 06:07am
Quote (Hecht55 @ Dec 11 2019 06:46am)

Part of the problem is we are expected to fund our own schooling then you get qualified and companies offer you $2 over minimum wage.

It's not that peope don't want to do the work, it's that we're not paying wages high enough to incentivize people even showing up. Why would somebody come weld metal inhale toxic fumes and sweat endlessly for $18 per hour when you can push boxes around a warehouse for the same money?

Gotta get your foot in the door. First job after my masters was very hard and didn't pay a lot. I get paid a lot more for a lot less now though because you have to master those initial grunt roles to be considered for the better compensated and specialized roles th as t you don't even know exists before going into an agency. I didn't know what utilization review is but now I know it I can literally go anywhere in the United States and get a great paying job or sell my soul to the for profits and work from home for anthem etc. But I had to make at least 3500 discharge plans to get the skills needed to take that next step.

In a lot of ways you're still a level 1 thing after college. But you get to be that nurse, accountant, engineer, etc, and then that gives a vocational track.

Take a lesson from Gen X also...don't get comfortable anywhere and try to get a promotion every 2-3 years that has a major salary increase, and look at your next 2-3 years as time to improve yourself to make yourself worth more. The solution to your problem is ultimately just be worth more. But you have to work smart and hard.
Gold: 1.93
Dec 11 2019 06:17am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 11 2019 11:07pm)
Gotta get your foot in the door. First job after my masters was very hard and didn't pay a lot. I get paid a lot more for a lot less now though because you have to master those initial grunt roles to be considered for the better compensated and specialized roles th as t you don't even know exists before going into an agency. I didn't know what utilization review is but now I know it I can literally go anywhere in the United States and get a great paying job or sell my soul to the for profits and work from home for anthem etc. But I had to make at least 3500 discharge plans to get the skills needed to take that next step.

In a lot of ways you're still a level 1 thing after college. But you get to be that nurse, accountant, engineer, etc, and then that gives a vocational track.

Take a lesson from Gen X also...don't get comfortable anywhere and try to get a promotion every 2-3 years that has a major salary increase, and look at your next 2-3 years as time to improve yourself to make yourself worth more. The solution to your problem is ultimately just be worth more. But you have to work smart and hard.

You can make $40 an hour welding here pretty easy.
Gold: 119,903.34
Dec 11 2019 06:34am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 11 2019 07:07am)

My gen x dad went the military route , 21 years Air Force and retires with military pension and he makes twice as much now as he did when he was in the military. He probably is going to work until he dies though because that's the type of person he is.

Quote (Hecht55 @ Dec 11 2019 06:46am)

I'm in middle level management currently and been debating/putting off what I want to move into next. Because I really don't want to move up the ladder anymore because higher levels of management is just more aids shit and would mean not being in a union and just being a corporate drone manager where your whole job is to babysit idiots and hope they do their job.

Been considering going back to school and maybe enter into engineering or chemistry/electrical related field but hard to find motivation when you are already at a pretty good financial spot and don't have any real obligations other than maybe the desire to make more money so you aren't working like a slave at SS age.
Dec 11 2019 06:43am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Dec 11 2019 07:34am)
My gen x dad went the military route , 21 years Air Force and retires with military pension and he makes twice as much now as he did when he was in the military. He probably is going to work until he dies though because that's the type of person he is.

I'm in middle level management currently and been debating/putting off what I want to move into next. Because I really don't want to move up the ladder anymore because higher levels of management is just more aids shit and would mean not being in a union and just being a corporate drone manager where your whole job is to babysit idiots and hope they do their job.

Been considering going back to school and maybe enter into engineering or chemistry/electrical related field but hard to find motivation when you are already at a pretty good financial spot and don't have any real obligations other than maybe the desire to make more money so you aren't working like a slave at SS age.

Military was good to me. I hurt myself pretty bad and they even helped me with vocational rehabilitation.
Gold: 620.79
Dec 11 2019 08:14am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 11 2019 07:07am)

That's not what happens though. Not in frabrication. Companies treat you as a green kid regardless of experience. I can't count the times I've had to restart at a new company at their entry wage. Make it up to their top floor rate and then the cycle of work ends and you get laid off. Time for a new company, that means I'm a new employee again. They don't care about your past experience or weld tickets. You're new to them.
Gold: 8,346.00
Dec 11 2019 02:18pm
What happens?

What Happens???

Let me tell you what the fuck happens.

When the boomers die, Life will be great.

1. Lobbying will be made illegal.
2. A Global movement to eliminate the use of fossil fuels
3. No More Trumpians!
4. A Woman will get elected
5. Insane amounts of reform on the policing system to ensure the systemic racism is eliminated.
6. unicorns will shit rainbows
7. Walt Disney will come out of cryosis.
8. Eternal glory for everyone
9. Humanity moves fully into the new age
10. The Knicks might win a Championship
11. Lance will have all his tour de France wins given back
12. Beastie Boys will finally have a #1 chart topper song.
13. The Radio might hopefully please god stop playing Bob Dylan on the radio.
14. Belichek and Brady will both be immediately fired and dis-honoured.
15. Bacon icecream will become a thing
16. Kobe will be crowned all time #1
17. Gronk will come out of retirement
18. Harper will go back to the Nats
19. Harden will win a ring
20. The Leafs will finally win a chip.

cant fucking wait

hurry up and die old white people.

This post was edited by Phaggot on Dec 11 2019 02:26pm
Gold: 1.93
Dec 11 2019 03:47pm
Quote (Phaggot @ Dec 12 2019 07:18am)
What happens?

What Happens???

Let me tell you what the fuck happens.

When the boomers die, Life will be great.

1. Lobbying will be made illegal.
2. A Global movement to eliminate the use of fossil fuels
3. No More Trumpians!
4. A Woman will get elected
5. Insane amounts of reform on the policing system to ensure the systemic racism is eliminated.
6. unicorns will shit rainbows
7. Walt Disney will come out of cryosis.
8. Eternal glory for everyone
9. Humanity moves fully into the new age
10. The Knicks might win a Championship
11. Lance will have all his tour de France wins given back
12. Beastie Boys will finally have a #1 chart topper song.
13. The Radio might hopefully please god stop playing Bob Dylan on the radio.
14. Belichek and Brady will both be immediately fired and dis-honoured.
15. Bacon icecream will become a thing
16. Kobe will be crowned all time #1
17. Gronk will come out of retirement
18. Harper will go back to the Nats
19. Harden will win a ring
20. The Leafs will finally win a chip.

cant fucking wait

hurry up and die old white people.

You had me until 16.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll