d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Muhammad Is The 10th Most Popular Baby Name > For Cis-males In The Us 2019
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,400.67
Dec 9 2019 10:41am
Quote (thesnipa @ 9 Dec 2019 17:36)
these types of articles are more than a bit misleading.

white people are 70% of the population, and they name their babies like 100 different names. muslims are much smaller but all name their kid the same name.

so if you have 1000 people naming babies, 700 of them name their kids at the rate of 100 names = 7 different names total. let's say there's only 5 muslims, and 3 of them name their kid Muhammad.

so in a grouping of 1000 people u get 7 Andrews, 7 Michaels, 7 Jameses, and 3 Muhhamads.

it's easy to see how they can make the name list, even with a tiny minority.

sure, but the percentage-based increase and decrease of newborn children named with a typical muslim name like Mohamed provides a (coarse) indicator for the increase and decrease of their population share.
Gold: 2,489.69
Dec 9 2019 10:44am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Dec 9 2019 10:41am)
sure, but the percentage-based increase and decrease of newborn children named with a typical muslim name like Mohamed provides a (coarse) indicator for the increase and decrease of their population share.

yeah so you could accurately report that with census data, but instead they choose to run far more scary looking baby name stats to scare people.

its pretty simple, many white people are ignorant of how high of a % name their babies Mohamed, or how diverse western names are, or both. so it scares them out of context.
Dec 9 2019 11:01am
Quote (fender @ 9 Dec 2019 17:26)
so, no source and no definition? as expected...

That people who were either born in North Africa or the Middle East, or are the Europe-born children of people from these regions, are not of "European descent" - this is indeed self-evident.

-----

Concerning my claim that many of the EU-based muslim children dont grow up in a social and family environment which satisfies my definition of "being raised in an environment dominated by European culture and norms":

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/04/birmingham-school-stops-lgbt-lessons-after-parent-protests
https://www.economist.com/erasmus/2018/02/02/in-british-schools-the-wearing-of-the-hijab-by-young-girls-is-an-explosive-issue
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-germany-islam/germanys-top-court-rules-muslim-schoolgirls-must-join-swimming-lessons-idUSKBN13X1XW
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/25/switzerland-ruling-overturns-muslim-pupils-handshake-exemption-religion
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36382596
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/turkey-children-marry-age-nine-islamic-law-diyanet-government-chp-mp-investigation-muslim-a8142131.html

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/soziologin-necla-kelek-zwangsehen-werden-bei-uns-alltag/20697098.html

Translation of some key sections from the above article:

"When you were growing up, did you have to fear being married against your will?
No, not at all. My mother was living the modern life of the well-educated classes, where arranged or forced marriages were frowned upon.[...]
We didnt get in contact with strict islamic traditions until my family moved from Istanbul (Turkey) to Germany. (sic!!!!!!)
Many of our acquaintances were religious, and my mother started worrying about our family's reputation.

What was threatening your family's reputation?
Our Western lifestyle.
Although we continued to live a secular life, we had to keep up the semblance of a family that's following traditions.
Meeting with friends in the evening, going to clubs, even having any German friends at all - I wasnt allowed any of that.

There was a very strong social supervision within the Turkish community in Germany, it exists to this day. With forced or arranged marriages according to islamic law, this community is kept intact."

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Dec 9 2019 11:07am
Dec 9 2019 11:10am
Quote (thesnipa @ 9 Dec 2019 17:44)
yeah so you could accurately report that with census data, but instead they choose to run far more scary looking baby name stats to scare people.

its pretty simple, many white people are ignorant of how high of a % name their babies Mohamed, or how diverse western names are, or both. so it scares them out of context.

The smaller name pool makes their population share look larger than it is in these baby name lists, yes. But irrespective from that, if the number of newborn childs named Mohamed doubles within a few years, it's still telling us something.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Dec 9 2019 11:10am
Gold: 2,489.69
Dec 9 2019 11:29am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Dec 9 2019 11:10am)
The smaller name pool makes their population share look larger than it is in these baby name lists, yes. But irrespective from that, if the number of newborn childs named Mohamed doubles within a few years, it's still telling us something.

yes it does tell us something, in a far more complicated way than simple census data.

it's like tracking tree growth to gauge the number of deer that are exist. instead of just counting deer.
Gold: Locked
Dec 9 2019 01:06pm
Quote (thundercock @ Dec 7 2019 10:13am)
Top 50 baby names: https://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names

This is pretty amazing since Muhammad wasn't even in the top 50 in 2018: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/582951/most-popular-baby-names-2018

Also, Charlie is a more popular girl name than boy name.

Another interesting thing I noticed between 2018 and 2019: Matthew went from 20 to 41 and Mateo jumped from 37 to 13!

I think this really great but I want to know what PaRD thinks.

What's the most common name for non-cis males?
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Dec 9 2019 01:37pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 9 Dec 2019 18:01)

well, you're skipping a major logical step there in order to MAKE it 'self-evident': you're assuming that all kids named mohamed are born in, or to people from the middle east and northern africa. what about those that were born to a family with a german and an immigrant parent, what about those born to muslim families that lived in germany for decades? in your simplistic world view it might be true that no mohamed can have 'european values' (still waiting for your definition btw), but that's simply an incredibly ignorant assumption.

again, just drop the act - everyone can see what kind of fearmongering tactics you're employing here, and why...
Dec 9 2019 04:42pm
Quote (fender @ 9 Dec 2019 20:37)
well, you're skipping a major logical step there in order to MAKE it 'self-evident': you're assuming that all kids named mohamed are born in, or to people from the middle east and northern africa. what about those that were born to a family with a german and an immigrant parent, what about those born to muslim families that lived in germany for decades? in your simplistic world view it might be true that no mohamed can have 'european values' (still waiting for your definition btw), but that's simply an incredibly ignorant assumption.

again, just drop the act - everyone can see what kind of fearmongering tactics you're employing here, and why...

Re: bolded part: I never claimed that.

I said that "a majority of 'Mohameds' in Europe" will grow up in an environment strongly influenced, if not outright dominated, by the values and norms of Islamic societies (instead of European ones).

But keep it up, keep twisting my words to then call me ignorant based on your malicious misrepresentation of my views and statements. :rolleyes:
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Dec 9 2019 07:07pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 9 Dec 2019 23:42)
Re: bolded part: I never claimed that.

I said that "a majority of 'Mohameds' in Europe" will grow up in an environment strongly influenced, if not outright dominated, by the values and norms of Islamic societies (instead of European ones).

But keep it up, keep twisting my words to then call me ignorant based on your malicious misrepresentation of my views and statements. :rolleyes:

so now it's just 'a majority', huh? what kind of percentage are we talking about, and what statistic do you base those facts on? not as 'self-evident' as you suggested, huh?

also, why do you keep dodging giving me your definition of 'european values'? it seems so important to you, so please define which values exactly all 'those mohameds' don't share, and why this is a problem. if you insist that you're not just a fearmonger, mentioning certain buzzwords to appeal to fellow bigots, then this is hardly an unreasonable request.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll