d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Thesis Statement Help
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.69
Dec 5 2019 04:36pm
Quote (dylanscandybar @ 5 Dec 2019 17:28)
I couldn't find anything in my schools database (Jstor) but I found this article right away:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/nurturing-resilience/201603/horrible-true-early-abuse-can-create-strength

So, I put the authors name into the database and at least six articles with various of his experiments and results proving my thesis showed up. Annotated them and showed them to my teacher and she was shocked lmao!

I do not believe my thesis but I can prove it which is why I thought of it. I wanted to go with something 'crazy' to pop out more as the thesis would be entered into a contest with various scholarship opportunities, so I wanted to go above and beyond.

One of the main characters in the book (Fermin) is tortured and abused while jailed during the Spanish Civil War. He is homeless and has nowhere to stay. Throughout the book he's shown intelligence, even finds a love, and becomes a father figure to a different main character in the book. That would be one of my evidences from the book.

Along with the evidence from Michael Ungar and his sources which I haven't yet looked at, I think I can make a decent argument.

I don't really think you can, though. Because even if you could string together those ideas with analysis it would be analysis done without actually feelings to back it up. It wouldn't be real. You could change it to something along these lines, "Torture and abuse in a child's life causes them to seek the good in life in order to get away from the bad, and drives them to create a better life for themselves." Now, I'm not YOUR teacher, so I wouldn't make you change it if your teacher already allowed it, but I definitely wouldn't allow that thesis as it is bull shit.

You aren't supposed to be seeing whther or not you can support that stuff with argument/analysis, that isn't the point of school or what your learning there. You are supposed to be learning about how to communicate and about the different things in the world, and how to share what you learned with others so that they may learn as well. What you are doing is just playing around. At least that is my opinion. You can do it if you want because your teacher said you could, but I think it ruins the points of the assignment.
Gold: 25,527.83
Dec 5 2019 06:09pm
Quote (ChrisKz @ Dec 5 2019 05:36pm)
I don't really think you can, though. Because even if you could string together those ideas with analysis it would be analysis done without actually feelings to back it up. It wouldn't be real. You could change it to something along these lines, "Torture and abuse in a child's life causes them to seek the good in life in order to get away from the bad, and drives them to create a better life for themselves." Now, I'm not YOUR teacher, so I wouldn't make you change it if your teacher already allowed it, but I definitely wouldn't allow that thesis as it is bull shit.

You aren't supposed to be seeing whther or not you can support that stuff with argument/analysis, that isn't the point of school or what your learning there. You are supposed to be learning about how to communicate and about the different things in the world, and how to share what you learned with others so that they may learn as well. What you are doing is just playing around. At least that is my opinion. You can do it if you want because your teacher said you could, but I think it ruins the points of the assignment.

I think OP just has wording wrong, but I can see a thesis along the lines of “ although childhood abuse ( or trauma) has many negative effects on an individual, there are some that succeed and thrive in many aspects of life.

Op can break down his examples from book how char in book thrived. Also there are many articles on google scholar that compare abused vs non abused- he would have to look for the outliers etc
Gold: 2,673.69
Dec 5 2019 10:29pm
Quote (dylanscandybar @ Dec 4 2019 07:11pm)
Need to write a thesis statement based on the book "Shadow of the Wind"

My old one: "Torture and abuse is necessary for a child to succeed" deemed to be WAY too hard to prove as no articles supported it..

PM me for more information!

Good luck stringing this pile of shit together. I’ve sat through so many hours of professional development and read so many articles that support the opposite.

Might want to drop the wording necessary from your thesis.
Gold: 200.00
Dec 5 2019 11:58pm
Quote (brigadier @ Dec 5 2019 11:29pm)
Good luck stringing this pile of shit together. I’ve sat through so many hours of professional development and read so many articles that support the opposite.

Might want to drop the wording necessary from your thesis.

e/ not gon argue

This post was edited by dylanscandybar on Dec 6 2019 12:16am
Gold: 2,673.69
Dec 6 2019 08:55am
As long as the topic fits within your instructors rubric it’s fine. I found the topics that take an extreme stance to be difficult to support (not impossible). I had to write and do a speech in college and the instructor just wanted us to follow the components of a good speech and try to make it memorable. I ended up doing a speech on the positive qualities of hitler.

For yours—-type the authors name into jstor or google scholars and grab one of his peer reviewed articles to support yours. I wouldn’t use psychology today.com as any serious source.
Gold: 1,319.00
Dec 6 2019 01:31pm
If even a single child has succeeded without being tortured and abused, then being tortured and abused is not necessary for a child to succeed

Could argue that being tortured and abused can lead a child to be more resilient which can help to make them successful. But saying torture and abuse are necessary is certainly not true no matter how you argue it

This post was edited by Obstacle1 on Dec 6 2019 01:34pm
Gold: 260.11
Dec 9 2019 11:38am
Quote (Obstacle1 @ Dec 6 2019 01:31pm)
If even a single child has succeeded without being tortured and abused, then being tortured and abused is not necessary for a child to succeed

Could argue that being tortured and abused can lead a child to be more resilient which can help to make them successful. But saying torture and abuse are necessary is certainly not true no matter how you argue it

Even if every child that succeeded did so after abuse that also doesnt prove it is necessary, only that it has happened that way.
Gold: 1,319.00
Dec 9 2019 01:03pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 9 2019 12:38pm)
Even if every child that succeeded did so after abuse that also doesnt prove it is necessary, only that it has happened that way.

also a very good point
Gold: 0.00
Dec 10 2019 02:35am
Quote (Obstacle1 @ Dec 6 2019 02:31pm)

He should get an F for that thesis statement alone.

This post was edited by ButOniiChanILoveYou on Dec 10 2019 02:35am
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll