d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Thesis Statement Help
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 200.00
Dec 4 2019 09:11pm
Need to write a thesis statement based on the book "Shadow of the Wind"

My old one: "Torture and abuse is necessary for a child to succeed" deemed to be WAY too hard to prove as no articles supported it..

PM me for more information!
Gold: 1.69
Dec 5 2019 04:10pm
Im not even sure why you think you can support that at all.
Dec 5 2019 04:10pm
Quote (ChrisKz @ Dec 5 2019 05:10pm)
Im not even sure why you think you can support that at all.

Supported it.
Dec 5 2019 04:11pm
Quote (dylanscandybar @ 5 Dec 2019 17:10)
Supported it.

I would tell you to find a new thesis. No matter how you reason it would be wrong.
Dec 5 2019 04:13pm
Quote (ChrisKz @ Dec 5 2019 05:11pm)
I would tell you to find a new thesis. No matter how you reason it would be wrong.

Took a few hours, but psychologist Michael Ungar actually researches this. It's called "resilience" and has done tons of experiments. Pretty interesting. Showed it to my teacher along with my thesis and loved it.

I don't necessarily believe in the statement, but I went with something out of the ordinary to stand out.

e/ I did indeed take torture out of my thesis.

This post was edited by dylanscandybar on Dec 5 2019 04:17pm
Dec 5 2019 04:18pm
Quote (dylanscandybar @ 5 Dec 2019 17:13)
Took a few hours, but psychologist Michael Ungar actually researches this. It's called "resilience" and has done tons of experiments. Pretty interesting. Showed it to my teacher along with my thesis and loved it.

Senior Thesis for high school btw.

Has done tons of research on how kids try their best to have thier lives under abuse and torture... I’m not even sure what to think of your assignments scope that you would think that is a books ‘theme?’ Look at it from a different perspective. Rather than say abuse and torture is good for their development, what other lens could you put that idea?
Dec 5 2019 04:19pm
Quote (ChrisKz @ Dec 5 2019 05:18pm)
Has done tons of research on how kids try their best to have thier lives under abuse and torture... I’m not even sure what to think of your assignments scope that you would think that is a books ‘theme?’ Look at it from a different perspective. Rather than say abuse and torture is good for their development, what other lens could you put that idea?

This isn't the books theme. It's simply my thesis; something I can prove with evidence from the book, and from sources online.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/nurturing-resilience/201603/horrible-true-early-abuse-can-create-strength

Not here to argue with you, if I can prove my thesis which I did, I should be good to go.

This post was edited by dylanscandybar on Dec 5 2019 04:21pm
Gold: 2,880.00
Dec 5 2019 04:22pm
I told you it wouldnt be too difficult you found these studies solely with the use of your schools system and without the aid of Google though?
Dec 5 2019 04:23pm
Quote (dylanscandybar @ 5 Dec 2019 17:19)
This isn't the books theme. It's simply my thesis; something I can prove with evidence from the book, and from sources online.

So it’s a research paper? Okay, still, what other lens could you view this that makes more sense? I’m implying that abuse and torture aren’t good, and that even though kids might do their best to survive, why is that?

I’m sure you have seen what I am think while you were researching, and you could probably use the same evidence.

This post was edited by ChrisKz on Dec 5 2019 04:24pm
Dec 5 2019 04:28pm
Quote (Pvpmule @ Dec 5 2019 05:22pm)
I told you it wouldnt be too difficult you found these studies solely with the use of your schools system and without the aid of Google though?

I couldn't find anything in my schools database (Jstor) but I found this article right away:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/nurturing-resilience/201603/horrible-true-early-abuse-can-create-strength

So, I put the authors name into the database and at least six articles with various of his experiments and results proving my thesis showed up. Annotated them and showed them to my teacher and she was shocked lmao!

Quote (ChrisKz @ Dec 5 2019 05:23pm)
So it’s a research paper? Okay, still, what other lens could you view this that makes more sense? I’m implying that abuse and torture aren’t good, and that even though kids might do their best to survive, why is that?

I do not believe my thesis but I can prove it which is why I thought of it. I wanted to go with something 'crazy' to pop out more as the thesis would be entered into a contest with various scholarship opportunities, so I wanted to go above and beyond.

One of the main characters in the book (Fermin) is tortured and abused while jailed during the Spanish Civil War. He is homeless and has nowhere to stay. Throughout the book he's shown intelligence, even finds a love, and becomes a father figure to a different main character in the book. That would be one of my evidences from the book.

Along with the evidence from Michael Ungar and his sources which I haven't yet looked at, I think I can make a decent argument.
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll