d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Visual Studio > Coding And Script Writing
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Nov 26 2019 02:32pm
What OS is best with Visual studio?? I'm new to this but really wanting to expand my horizon and learn how to code, to write new software and new programs, any phone apps worth putting some time into to help with this? I plan on getting visual studio but wondering if there is a better OS to use it on or no?
Gold: 21,934.00
Nov 26 2019 08:42pm
Windows is your only choice for running VS if you want to not kill yourself trying to deal with mono.

What do you actually want to build? VS is good for .net core projects, but not something you want to use for mobile dev. For that you're getting into cross platform stuff like ionic/ cordova and will need Android Studio/ Xcode.
Nov 26 2019 11:10pm
Quote (frixionburne @ Nov 26 2019 08:42pm)
Windows is your only choice for running VS if you want to not kill yourself trying to deal with mono.

What do you actually want to build? VS is good for .net core projects, but not something you want to use for mobile dev. For that you're getting into cross platform stuff like ionic/ cordova and will need Android Studio/ Xcode.

mobile dev stuff would be fun, looking to make new software and programs for games, hacks and mods and bots and to be a game developer
Nov 26 2019 11:18pm
Quote (Swaddle @ Nov 27 2019 01:10am)
mobile dev stuff would be fun, looking to make new software and programs for games, hacks and mods and bots and to be a game developer

Oh you innocent spring chicken. So here's some advice from me, a career software engineer that makes bank doing boring big biz programming stuff: Get paid to do the boring stuff. The challenges are still fun, and you will have enough time to code games as a hobby.

The general problem with becoming a game dev is that you will either be a poor indie dev taking side jobs to pay the bills, or you will become a slave for a big game org. If your hobby is truly building video games, don't ruin it by becoming a dev slave for a big game dev shop.

If you want to get a feel for game dev on mobile and desktop, start playing with Unity.

Don't get me wrong, there are guys that make it and have nice lives devving games, but the era of Blizzard North, John Carmack, etc, is pretty much gone.
Nov 26 2019 11:52pm
Quote (frixionburne @ Nov 26 2019 11:18pm)
Oh you innocent spring chicken. So here's some advice from me, a career software engineer that makes bank doing boring big biz programming stuff: Get paid to do the boring stuff. The challenges are still fun, and you will have enough time to code games as a hobby.

The general problem with becoming a game dev is that you will either be a poor indie dev taking side jobs to pay the bills, or you will become a slave for a big game org. If your hobby is truly building video games, don't ruin it by becoming a dev slave for a big game dev shop.

If you want to get a feel for game dev on mobile and desktop, start playing with Unity.

Don't get me wrong, there are guys that make it and have nice lives devving games, but the era of Blizzard North, John Carmack, etc, is pretty much gone.

ok great thank you for help! VS 2019 6.0 Professional good to use for all this coding and practice??
Nov 27 2019 12:26am
Dont pay for VS unless you absolutely have to. The free community edition should work fine for what you want to get into.
Nov 27 2019 12:32am
Quote (frixionburne @ Nov 27 2019 12:26am)
Dont pay for VS unless you absolutely have to. The free community edition should work fine for what you want to get into.

any good beneficial apps I can download on my phone or ipad?
Nov 27 2019 12:34am
Not really. Enable developer mode and figure out how to hook up the chrome/ safari remote debugging stuff if you're going to do stuff like ionic/ cordova.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll