d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Common-good Capitalism > Warning: Long Read
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Nov 24 2019 05:46pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Nov 24 2019 06:31pm)
We were out of the slums way before capitalism was even a concept much less adopted. Go talk to Rome around 0 ad about capital and private ownership as a fundamental right and you would be laughed out of court.

Rome had ownership rights to both slaves and land under dominium law, duh.
Gold: 260.11
Nov 24 2019 06:14pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Nov 24 2019 05:46pm)
Rome had ownership rights to both slaves and land under dominium law, duh.

Private ownership =/= capitalism
Gold: 17,384.69
Nov 24 2019 11:27pm
Quote (ssdrmstre @ 24 Nov 2019 23:42)
attacking a person who questions your comments

sounds like you probably shouldn't be posting in a politics sub so much, since it seems you're missing the whole point.

Yes it's true I was so rude. I just said 'watch where you are right now', not 'Trump is more pro free market than his predecessors'
Gold: Locked
Nov 27 2019 03:13pm
First, glad some Rs are developing a conscience. Compassionate capitalism is what we need.

Second, the criticisms in the article are pretty off-base. Supporting ag business is hugely important to America's fiscal stability. Definitely more important than the one-stage analysis presented in the op ed suggests. Markets do not exist in a vacuum, they exist in union. The impact of slashing our ag would be massive, unless it also came with changes on how we deal with food waste--to me, one of the biggest problems facing Americas.

Third, the concept that the author pushes of "just get more training and a better job lol" is not a feasible reality for many people living in poverty. True for lower middle class underachieving white suburban kids, but not for the people who really need the help.
Gold: 2,489.69
Nov 27 2019 03:39pm
my thoughts are fairly simple tbh.

a free market + automation = self destruction.

the free market demands cheaper goods, automation delivers in spades. eventually the snake eats its own tail as jobs are eliminated and consumers along with them.

the free market was the best system by which to create a fair opportunity for all, sometime in the future the only way will be some impartial algorithm. in the mean time hybridized systems need to be created and updated in flux with the changing economy.

republicans, the former champions of the free market and fiscal conservative spending know this. and that's why they abandoned the free market for large scale farming subsidies (which now go almost exclusively to corporate* farms) and trade protectionism. they realize these sectors need to be subsidized and they see essentially free voters in coal, lead, and corn country.

why ethanol wasn't embraced more to protect against OPEC i do not understand. why jobs weren't created in coal country for solar and other clean energies idk. some of these problems could have solved themselves with little regulation or protectionist trade policies.

we're not so slowly approaching a cliff, and we're well past the point of no return. all we can do is prepare for issues to insulate the american people. UBI needs to start as a sector targeting bank account paid for by automating companies, it's a shame that the only way u can even get people to listen to UBI is to wave 1k$ in their face.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Nov 27 2019 03:42pm
Gold: 57.00
Nov 27 2019 04:47pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 27 Nov 2019 16:39)
my thoughts are fairly simple tbh.

a free market + automation = self destruction.

the free market demands cheaper goods, automation delivers in spades. eventually the snake eats its own tail as jobs are eliminated and consumers along with them.

the free market was the best system by which to create a fair opportunity for all, sometime in the future the only way will be some impartial algorithm. in the mean time hybridized systems need to be created and updated in flux with the changing economy.

republicans, the former champions of the free market and fiscal conservative spending know this. and that's why they abandoned the free market for large scale farming subsidies (which now go almost exclusively to corporate* farms) and trade protectionism. they realize these sectors need to be subsidized and they see essentially free voters in coal, lead, and corn country.

why ethanol wasn't embraced more to protect against OPEC i do not understand. why jobs weren't created in coal country for solar and other clean energies idk. some of these problems could have solved themselves with little regulation or protectionist trade policies.

we're not so slowly approaching a cliff, and we're well past the point of no return. all we can do is prepare for issues to insulate the american people. UBI needs to start as a sector targeting bank account paid for by automating companies, it's a shame that the only way u can even get people to listen to UBI is to wave 1k$ in their face.

No one wants to accept being replaceable
Kick it up to 3k, boom no worries. Swap out social security (a net loss for most workers) and we can find a way to fund it
Gold: 356.93
Nov 27 2019 06:16pm
I have no problem with capitalism, my problem is with corporatism.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 18 2020 05:26pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/market-skeptic-republicans-like-josh-hawley-have-it-wrong/2020/01/08/7a588884-3167-11ea-91fd-82d4e04a3fac_story.html

George Will is right on this.

Honestly I've never taken these populist Republicans seriously. Trump, Tucker Carlson, Josh Hawley. They specialize in criticizing the current system and fostering a victim mentality among their viewers/voters, but they never offer real solutions. They just offer a re-branded leftist critique of capitalism. I get why stupid people are attracted to it... but so far there's been no serious populist right-wing answer to these problems. Democrats want government to take from the rich and re-distribute to the poor. That might do something. Josh Hawley and Tucker Carlson want to blame all your problems on the Jews/globalists and regulate your smartphone cause you're too stupid not to spend all day on it.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic New Poll