d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Common-good Capitalism > Warning: Long Read
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Nov 23 2019 09:30am
inb4 tldr

Article written by David French of The Dispatch.

If you follow conservative media at all, you’re keenly aware that Sens. Marco Rubio and Josh Hawley have been out front in attempting to chart a new ideological course for the GOP. Rubio has drawn on Catholic social teaching to call for “common-good capitalism.” Hawley in a recent speech called for a “new politics of family and neighborhood—a new politics of love and belonging—a new politics of home.”

While the precise contours of the “new politics” are largely undefined, it philosophically retreats from both the free market and individual responsibility—two bedrock elements of small-government conservatism. For example, Hawley mocks “market worship” and says this about personal responsibility:

And where does this leave those without power or money? On their own.

If you’re a worker with a high school degree in the urban core who can’t get a good job, you’re told it’s your fault and you should work harder, get more education, stop being lazy.

If you’re a farmer or working a trade in the middle of the country and can’t support your family on what you bring home, you’re told you should move, that smart people live in cities, and you should have made better life choices.

It’s no wonder so many Americans feel so unappreciated and unheard.

Here’s Rubio:

Common-good capitalism also means recognizing that what the market determines is most efficient may not be best for America.

And:

We must remember that our nation does not exist to serve the interests of the market; the market exists to serve our nation. And the most effective benefit the market can provide is the creation of dignified work.

Before I critique Rubio and Hawley, let me offer a word or two of unreserved praise. They are exactly right to highlight the American crisis of deaths of despair, they are exactly right to highlight the indispensable role of American families in American culture, and they are spot-on when they decry the breakdown of institutions—from churches to sports leagues to civic institutions—that have long formed the bedrock of American communities and provided countless Americans with invaluable meaning, purpose, and fellowship.

Moreover, to the extent they endorse greater respect for federalism—the return of power to states and local governments—to a politics that is truly more local, a politics of your town and neighborhood, I stand with them. But in practice, their policies all too often pull more power to the federal government and place more authority in the hands of federal bureaucracies. Hawley’s social-media reform proposals would grant federal control over the design and operation of the social media apps on your phone. His social media political speech proposals would place a government commission in charge of regulating a vast amount of core political speech online.

Moreover, they’re just wrong to claim that America is in the midst of “market worship,” and to embrace a new national politics that rests on faith in the federal government to this time be able to properly influence and direct the world’s largest and most complex economy to not only spur economic growth, but growth in the right places, targeted exactly at the right people is to ignore decades of recent American history.

In fact, whenever I hear the phrase “market worship,” it’s hard for me to take the critique seriously. To track the last century (especially the last half-century) is to track the extraordinary growth of government intervention in the economy. At all levels of government, various kinds of economic activity have been regulated, licensed, incentivized, and protected.

Hawley is worried about family farms? Excellent. He joins a long, long line of politicians who’ve been using the levers of power to try to prop up American farming for decades.

Rubio is concerned about American manufacturing? Fantastic. Politicians have been intervening in the economy to protect manufacturing my entire adult life.

In fact, one of the central economic insights of modern conservatism is that technocratic interventions—typically undertaken by the brightest of people with the best of intentions—often don’t work and are frequently counterproductive.

Let’s take a previous generation’s consensus view of “common-good capitalism.” If you rewind the American clock a short 15 years, you’d find a remarkable public/private consensus that home ownership was a key to achieving the American dream. The purchase of an appreciating asset like a home increases family stability and provides families with a real sense of home and place. The real estate bubble that resulted wasn’t just the result of Wall Street run amok, it was the result of a witch’s brew of misguided public policy, corporate greed, and—yes—personal overreach.

In the last half-century Republican presidents have implemented wage-and-price controls, imposed tariffs, and transferred billions of dollars to farmers to keep American farming afloat. At the state and local level Republican governors and legislatures have shoveled public dollars at large corporations to induce them to relocate and build in Red America. America is simply awash in efforts at “common-good capitalism,” and it’s still not adequately addressing the (very real) problems that Rubio and Hawley identify.

Market worship? Hardly. The conservative movement has only been able to tap the brakes on a generations of broad-based bipartisan, technocratic efforts at market intervention. Americans enjoy less economic freedom than Canadians, Brits, Australians, the Swiss, and citizens of seven other developed nations across the world. Now, with Rubio, Hawley, and many others calling for more technocracy, I’m starting to wonder if “nationalism” is simply how the GOP spells “progressivism.”

The conservative argument, by contrast, should be that more market freedom—not less—is the real “common-good capitalism.” Our technocrats simply aren’t wise enough, bright enough, and agile enough to command a national economy for the common good. In fact, as recent history demonstrates, they’ll often harm the very communities they seek to protect. Rubio and Hawley decry elitism and oligarchies, but increasing federal control over the American economy further empowers the elite. It by necessity entails rule by the few. Again, just look at Hawley’s social media proposals. A small, powerful governmental elite regulates the user experience of hundreds of millions.

Moreover, any brand of Republican politics that actively denigrates the role of personal responsibility in economic outcomes will ultimately do more harm than good. Look, I get it. Politicians can’t speak honestly about their own constituencies and remain politicians for long. The plight of their communities ultimately has to be someone else’s fault. Politicians can make excellent populists. They are terrible prophets.

And so they spin out fictions—lionizing the American worker in spite of the fact that (truth be told) the American worker (with an assist from the American managerial class) contributed to the decline of American manufacturing. There was a reason why so many American families bought Hondas and Toyotas in the 1980s, and it wasn’t just because of price. Hondas and Toyotas worked, and American cars for a long time were substantially more unreliable.

We spin out more fictions—that the economy has left hard-working Americans behind, in spite of the fact that truly hard-working Americans still enjoy an immense amount of economic opportunity. Is it too much to ask a person to seek an education or learn a trade? Our economy still rewards industry. It still rewards effort.

Why is the American upper-middle-class growing so robustly? It’s largely because the very people that GOP populists deride as the “elite” or part of the meritocratic oligarchy worked very hard, for a very long time, and are now faithful spouses, loving parents, and productive employees.

Ask any person who employs blue-collar workers, do you have too many workers who show up on time every day, work hard, and are willing to work overtime? Or not enough? The answer is almost always “not enough.”

I grew up in a small town in Kentucky, not far from Appalachia. I have seen the transformative power of economic opportunity—my hometown is a substantially different place in large part because of an immense Toyota plant located not far from my childhood home. I’ve also seen countless government interventions and countless efforts at economic development turn to ash. When a man can’t routinely pass a drug test, there is no economy any technocrat can create than will give him the life he wants.

The American system depends on reciprocal responsibilities. Yes, the government has a responsibility to its citizens. It must protect their liberty. Without violating their liberties, it should enact policies designed to advance the common good—yet with an extreme degree of humility and recognition that technocrats have failed before and will fail again. But the citizen has responsibilities to himself, his family, and his community. And that includes obligations to be faithful to a spouse, diligent in work, and resilient in the face of adversity.

Our cultural and spiritual malaise requires a cultural and spiritual renewal, and while our politicians can, on the margins, enact policies that nudge our culture in the right direction, they must not overpromise, they should not tell false tales about the recent past, and they should not divert a person’s gaze from the individual who is still (in the vast majority of circumstances) most responsible for the success or failure of his personal, familial, and economic aspirations—the man in the mirror.

I'm interested in how Cambo, Goom, Snipa, and others view this argument. The supposed Republican orthodoxy of free markets and personal responsibility has definitely shifted since Trump came onto the scene.

I basically agree with David French on most of this. I'm suspicious of populism in general, because I view it as an irrational reaction to the harmful effects of either good policy or inevitable forces(free trade agreements, globalization, automation, etc). I've also always agreed that personal responsibility is an important thing to focus on, even though politically it's dead in the water. Also, David provides counter-arguments to the idea that Washington has supposedly been full of market-worshiping libertarians.

Thoughts, PaRD?

Gold: 285.00
Nov 23 2019 09:40am
Quote (IceMage @ Nov 23 2019 10:30am)
inb4 tldr

I'm interested in how Cambo, Goom, Snipa, and others view this argument. The supposed Republican orthodoxy of free markets and personal responsibility has definitely shifted since Trump came onto the scene.

I basically agree with David French on most of this. I'm suspicious of populism in general, because I view it as an irrational reaction to the harmful effects of either good policy or inevitable forces(free trade agreements, globalization, automation, etc). I've also always agreed that personal responsibility is an important thing to focus on, even though politically it's dead in the water. Also, David provides counter-arguments to the idea that Washington has supposedly been full of market-worshiping libertarians.

Thoughts, PaRD?

Populism is a side of the spectrum opposite of corporatism. There is a pendulum that will pull the other way when one side is successful for two long. Elections do seem to be the remedy to this. Trump is successful because the 1% have had so much power for so long. Trump will not challenge this and may actually be in the 1% when this is over. That being said a leftie will be elected, we will have a Sherman Antitrust act, a new deal, etc, and when that all goes too far we will get a Taft Hartley act all over giving power back to the plutocrats.

Populism never last very long at tends to evaporate when things start to get better. Things are very unlikely to get better without a healthy dose of populism every now and then. Populism is only appealing when the people in charge are doing a very poor job managing things like health and the economy. Right now wealth is too polarized so populism is very strong.

This post was edited by Skinned on Nov 23 2019 09:40am
Gold: 2,617.52
Nov 23 2019 09:55am
inb4 tldr

Thoughts, PaRD?

The biggest three flaws with American capitalism are the complicated tax code, allowing shareholders to dictate company activity, and the allowance of corporate personhood creating a complicated legal web to navigate. American workers are playing a game with broken rules right now. Add on a few other contributing factors like bad immigration law and bad employer medical care mandates.

Fix those three and you'll see the system improve.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Nov 23 2019 09:56am
Gold: 17,384.69
Nov 23 2019 10:23am
To continue this Free market narrative in a country where a billionaire is now in charge and is ready to give all the executive power to others billionaires ? Next step is totalitarianism.
More freedom to your states who are then, individually, even weakier against giants (who continue to grow up) ?

Both "moralists" and "libertarians" will be gone soon at this rate.
Gold: 260.11
Nov 23 2019 10:49am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Nov 23 2019 09:55am)
The biggest three flaws with American capitalism are the complicated tax code, allowing shareholders to dictate company activity, and the allowance of corporate personhood creating a complicated legal web to navigate. American workers are playing a game with broken rules right now. Add on a few other contributing factors like bad immigration law and bad employer medical care mandates.

Fix those three and you'll see the system improve.

Tax code is there to reward the companies that donate.
Shareholders don't dictate company activity, they appoint a board of directors to do that. When we sat that a company is beholden to the shareholders its becauss they will sell and lower share price, not that you have to do what they say.
Agreed on corporate personhood, corporate donations to politicians is a garbage policy that will go down as one of the worst things of the last 100 years.
Gold: 0.00
Nov 23 2019 11:06am
Quote (Skinned @ Nov 23 2019 09:40am)
Populism is a side of the spectrum opposite of corporatism. There is a pendulum that will pull the other way when one side is successful for two long. Elections do seem to be the remedy to this. Trump is successful because the 1% have had so much power for so long. Trump will not challenge this and may actually be in the 1% when this is over. That being said a leftie will be elected, we will have a Sherman Antitrust act, a new deal, etc, and when that all goes too far we will get a Taft Hartley act all over giving power back to the plutocrats.

Populism never last very long at tends to evaporate when things start to get better. Things are very unlikely to get better without a healthy dose of populism every now and then. Populism is only appealing when the people in charge are doing a very poor job managing things like health and the economy. Right now wealth is too polarized so populism is very strong.

"May actually be"? He's in the 1% now, and has been since he inherited daddy's money. Trump is 0.1%-tier, with regard to wealth.
Nov 23 2019 11:06am
Great article. He lays out close to my thoughts much more eloquently than I could.

His thoughts on even talking about personal responsibility are spot on imo.
Gold: 7,525.35
Nov 23 2019 11:07am
inb4 tldr

Thoughts, PaRD?

I think its a very good article, in content, framing and tone.
It respectfully recognizes that there are in fact serious problems facing Americans but accurately explains that they are often the result of government failure and extensive government intervention, not markets or some imaginary 'market worship' as government policy.
More of the same failed policies and bureaucratic control are not a good solution.

The GOP's reputation as the party of small government and free markets had largely been a myth to start with when you look at what many of them have passed in recent history.
The Trumpian divergence into populism, protectionism and economic nationalism pushing it further away from the tea party-esque/libertarian vision and momentum has been an unwelcome distraction in that regard.

I like that he pointed out that free market capitalism is common-good capitalism and not in opposition to it as Rubio and Hawley implied.

I can also appreciate his emphasis on not abandoning personal responsibility.
From a personal and societal perspective its important to look at what you can do to help yourself instead of looking to blame your problems on others and turning to government and politicians who offer you other peoples money, failed policies and false promises instead of real solutions. The latter is a cheap way to get votes, not a good way to run a country.
More economic freedom can allow people to create and take better opportunities to improve their lot in life.

Rubio and Hawley are spouting empty and inaccurate anti-capitalist platitudes you could hear at a Warren rally. I really don't want that to be the direction the GOP takes.
I've recently seen some outlets trying to frame a false choice on the right between Rubio and the alt-right/'groyper'/Nationalists.
Democrat-lite and 'progressivism driving the speed limit' is not the best we can do.
A small government pro-capitalist pro-liberty party with increased economic freedom, opportunity, prosperity and personal responsibility is another, better vision.

Nov 23 2019 11:10am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Nov 23 2019 10:49am)
Tax code is there to reward the companies that donate.
Shareholders don't dictate company activity, they appoint a board of directors to do that. When we sat that a company is beholden to the shareholders its becauss they will sell and lower share price, not that you have to do what they say.
Agreed on corporate personhood, corporate donations to politicians is a garbage policy that will go down as one of the worst things of the last 100 years.

They do though, if you consider stock price as a guide for many corporate decisions. A lot of companies dictate their market positions/decisions based on the ROI to shareholders. It's bad policy, but it exists.
Gold: 260.11
Nov 23 2019 11:33am
Quote (Surfpunk @ Nov 23 2019 11:10am)
They do though, if you consider stock price as a guide for many corporate decisions. A lot of companies dictate their market positions/decisions based on the ROI to shareholders. It's bad policy, but it exists.

Yes I detailed that lol

And it's something you cant remove without making it illegal to sell
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll