d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Microstutters/stutters > Bad Mobo?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,211.18
Nov 17 2019 09:46pm
I've been having microstutters/stutters in pretty much every game and even in unigine heaven, all my temps seem normal with no fluctuations or anything

but.. I've noticed all of my motherboard temps don't change ever they all sit at the same temp and don't move under load

I'm running an 8700k with an asus z370-a prime and I've been reading about bad VRMs on this board

I'm just scratching my head because I've tried pretty much everything, fresh install/CMOS reset/DDU/memtest/made sure everything is plugged in correctly and clean

I'm just wondering if you think it's worth just sending my mobo off for RMA now or if you guys had any other tests I could try, is there even anyway to test for a faulty mobo?

z370-a prime
gskill 3000mhz 16gb
750 80+g psu
h115i cooler
gigabyte 1070ti gaming OC
Gold: 1.00
Trader: Trusted
Nov 17 2019 11:05pm
When you're monitoring your temperatures, is this through a program or are you looking in BIOS?

If you're looking in BIOS and they don't change, it's your motherboard and your graphics card is probably overheating.

Your graphics card, by default, has a temperature based fan speed and if your motherboard isn't providing correct temperatures, the fans either won't come on, or won't be at the correct speed for the actual temperature of the graphics card.

I would install a utility to manually change the speed of your graphics card fans and set them to 100% and see if that fixes it.

Obviously don't leave it like that but if it fixes it, atleast you know what direction to go in.
Nov 17 2019 11:29pm
Quote (roadtree @ Nov 18 2019 01:05am)
When you're monitoring your temperatures, is this through a program or are you looking in BIOS?

If you're looking in BIOS and they don't change, it's your motherboard and your graphics card is probably overheating.

Your graphics card, by default, has a temperature based fan speed and if your motherboard isn't providing correct temperatures, the fans either won't come on, or won't be at the correct speed for the actual temperature of the graphics card.

I would install a utility to manually change the speed of your graphics card fans and set them to 100% and see if that fixes it.

Obviously don't leave it like that but if it fixes it, atleast you know what direction to go in.

I've been using corsair link to control my cooler (have q fan control off) , I use msi afterburner for my gpu and I use hwmonitor

both corsair link and hwmonitor show the motherboard temps not moving except one which only moves by 1 degree even under load (25 - 26)

in my bios under monitor, I have 4 sensor temps showing N/A is that normal? ( EXT-Sensor1-3/T_sensor)

I just find it odd that my motherboard only moves 1 degree even under load for a few hours

also I'm going to try a heaven run with my fans at 100% see if anything changes.

Ok so with the jet engines running some stutters weren't as bad but the still happening and I don't think the temp is the problem

afterburner had it at like 51c that whole run at full ultra everything max 1080p and its strange because

these stutters happen at the same points in heaven, like I can predict them everytime

This post was edited by Clumps on Nov 17 2019 11:43pm
Nov 17 2019 11:41pm
Quote (Clumps @ Nov 17 2019 07:29pm)
I've been using corsair link to control my cooler (have q fan control off) , I use msi afterburner for my gpu and I use hwmonitor

both corsair link and hwmonitor show the motherboard temps not moving except one which only moves by 1 degree even under load (25 - 26)

in my bios under monitor, I have 4 sensor temps showing N/A is that normal? ( EXT-Sensor1-3/T_sensor)

I just find it odd that my motherboard only moves 1 degree even under load for a few hours

also I'm going to try a heaven run with my fans at 100% see if anything changes.

any n/a return for a sensor temp means there is no sensor connected to that logic port.

the ext sensors are just additional (optional) external temp sensor headers.

I'm not sure what the T_sensor is. I would look that up in your motherboard manual (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-A/E13271_PRIME_Z370-A_UM_WEB.pdf)

The temperatures not changing alone would be enough for me to return my motherboard for repair. Your motherboard controls a lot of things based on temperatures (especially safety features) and with a nice setup like your's, I wouldn't want to further damage anything else.
Nov 17 2019 11:56pm
Quote (roadtree @ Nov 18 2019 01:41am)
any n/a return for a sensor temp means there is no sensor connected to that logic port.

the ext sensors are just additional (optional) external temp sensor headers.

I'm not sure what the T_sensor is. I would look that up in your motherboard manual (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-A/E13271_PRIME_Z370-A_UM_WEB.pdf)

The temperatures not changing alone would be enough for me to return my motherboard for repair. Your motherboard controls a lot of things based on temperatures (especially safety features) and with a nice setup like your's, I wouldn't want to further damage anything else.

yeah I just wasn't sure because the CPU temps show and the motherboard temp is shown but barely moves

would you consider 1-3 fluctuation under load to not be accurate?

I would assume my mobo temp would go higher considering my setup is intake on the front pulling in with one intake on the bottom and 1 exhaust on the back

although my radiator fans are pretty darn good industrial nf-a14 noctuas

This post was edited by Clumps on Nov 17 2019 11:57pm
Nov 18 2019 12:02am
Quote (Clumps @ Nov 17 2019 07:56pm)
yeah I just wasn't sure because the CPU temps show and the motherboard temp is shown but barely moves

would you consider 1-3 fluctuation under load to not be accurate?

I would assume my mobo temp would go higher considering my setup is intake on the front pulling in with one intake on the bottom and 1 exhaust on the back

although my radiator fans are pretty darn good industrial nf-a14 noctuas

your cpu should be changing temp by about 2-3 degrees regularly while your computer is just running (no programs)

while under load it should be changing by up to 40 degrees depending on overclocking, cooling, and load.

It definitely shouldn't be only changing by 1-3 degrees while it's under a substantial load regardless of cooling.
Nov 18 2019 12:14am
Quote (roadtree @ Nov 18 2019 02:02am)
your cpu should be changing temp by about 2-3 degrees regularly while your computer is just running (no programs)

while under load it should be changing by up to 40 degrees depending on overclocking, cooling, and load.

It definitely shouldn't be only changing by 1-3 degrees while it's under a substantial load regardless of cooling.

Oh no the CPU changes normally, goes into the mid - late 70s under 100% load for about an hour

its only the motherboard temp that changes by 1 -3 degrees.
Nov 18 2019 01:01am
Quote (Clumps @ Nov 17 2019 08:14pm)
Oh no the CPU changes normally, goes into the mid - late 70s under 100% load for about an hour

its only the motherboard temp that changes by 1 -3 degrees.

Ahhhh got it. If your computer has been running for awhile then the mobo temp isn’t going to change much regardless of the load especially with the fans you have.

To test it to make sure I would turn the computer off for awhile (long enough for everything to become room temp) and go straight to bios when you turn it on and note the mobo temp. Let it run for awhile loaded and check the mobo temp again. If it’s 5-20 degrees warmer (just depends on load and cooling) then I don’t think there is anything wrong with your mobo temp sensors.

Have you tried using a different pcie port?

How long have you had your graphics card, do you regularly run it over locked, and what is the average load % when you’re using it?

Another thing you could do to help isolate the issue is to remove your graphics card and use the integrated graphics to run a benchmark. If it doesn’t stutter during, you know it’s an issue with the graphics card. If it does, you know it’s the mobo.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll