d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > 4banger Turbo > Help Me Turbros
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22.00
Warn: 20%
Oct 19 2019 07:18pm
What's up JSP?

The Midpipe install has proven to me that I cannot get my beater/daily driver to sound good...
It makes that annoying/embarassing rattle can nnneEeEEEOOOWWWWWW POW POW WAHHHHHH stupid sound...

Disappointed by my past N/A 4 cylinder cars so I am done, I am going forced induction.
Saving the N/A for larger displacements for damn sure now...no replacement for what?
Seriously, forged internals, rods, etc still won't be putting down respectable numbers or road-worthy noise on 4 cylinders from what I have learned unless you have certain gems like an S2000...

Anyway enough blab, please help if you can...

EM2 d17 turbo project currently in the works and I need your help friends!

Looking at:
- Hondata KPRO RSX 5 SPEED w/ CAM GEAR
- Larger Fuel Injectors (I need help, which do I get and are they a direct replacement?)
- Do I need a new Fuel Injector Rail?
- Upgraded Fuel Pump (Not sure what to look for, I see a few in the $40 - $60 range)
- Intake Manifold (Some people say the plastic intake manifold for the d17 can take up to 15psi but do not recommend over 10psi due to the plastic warping)
I might just keep the stock intake manifold, cheapest cast iron intake manifold is $500 and I am already way over budget on my EM2...sh!t adds up lol)
- Turbo Kit has everything but downpipe (Only downpipe I could find was one that gets rid of the catalytic converter, don't know how loud that is going to be on my custom catback setup w/ silencer)

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated!
Gold: 255.11
Oct 19 2019 08:46pm
I wouldnt bother with a d17 engine tbh it has a very poor design
Oct 20 2019 06:36am
Quote (Subban2 @ Oct 19 2019 07:46pm)
I wouldnt bother with a d17 engine tbh it has a very poor design

Yeah, I already looked into it and Honda made this for saving gas, estimated 35MPG combined..
I also just bought an entire new transmission and supporting transmission parts for it so K-Swapping is way out of the picture and budget.
K-Swapping is also a huge headache so I went with the easier option which is turbo charging it.

Stock numbers are 127hp/120torque I think, I'd be super happy with 200/200...
I'm just going to zip around town anyway and I am betting 0-40 or 0-60 mph will be more than decent if I hit 200/200

Anybody have experience with Hondas and Turbos? particularly any of the E series such as EG, EK, EM, b16, d16, etc...

Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Oct 20 2019 11:01pm
Quote (chewbacha @ Oct 20 2019 05:36am)
Yeah, I already looked into it and Honda made this for saving gas, estimated 35MPG combined..
I also just bought an entire new transmission and supporting transmission parts for it so K-Swapping is way out of the picture and budget.
K-Swapping is also a huge headache so I went with the easier option which is turbo charging it.

Stock numbers are 127hp/120torque I think, I'd be super happy with 200/200...
I'm just going to zip around town anyway and I am betting 0-40 or 0-60 mph will be more than decent if I hit 200/200

Anybody have experience with Hondas and Turbos? particularly any of the E series such as EG, EK, EM, b16, d16, etc...

have a d16 here, EG. fully built top and bottom end, on stock greddy legal turbo kit, 16PSI, 280WHP. (Wisco pistons, Eagle Rods, valve, springs, retainers, block was sleeved, machined, anything you can probably think of has been done)
built for 500+WHP if wanted, still need a breather kit for it, alot of blowback pressure, and need a retune, car moved from LA, to Bay Area, so its running weird due to the weather/climate difference.
currently not running, been busy with work, and dailying my 1st gen prius xD. tires are flat, shes just sitting in the garage, since all that commotion about the nonFIXIT exhaust tickets, and state refs. (California)

tbh. the EM2 is a bad chassis to do this with, most people ive seen touch these cars or modify them at all, are for show cars, stance, car meet built.
your gonna be putting in alot of work and money for little gains with a turbo setup on one of these, and then theres a ton of troubleshooting, to get it to run somewhat reliable.
the trans/d17 engine in those EM2 are horrid for boosting/NA. theyre literally for daily commute, which is a big reason why i dont think they made a SI in that trim/chassis (EM2). i do believe the EP3 was the SI version of that year though? but it was a hatch.

my honest opinion, if u love the honda scene still, and want a 4banger, and want some okay power, id go with a DOHC VTEC Engine (B16,B17,B18C1), swap or something that came with one already (GSR, SI).
RSX is also a choice, theyre pretty affordable now, even the TYPE-S.
bolt on's, tune, and your probably at enough power to have fun as a daily, will definitely be able to hit 200crankhp easily with certain mods if thats your goal for power.
you can also turbo them too, and the power will be pretty good bang for buck, 8-10PSI should be sitting around 280+WHP - 300+WHP range.

TLDR :
save ur money, dont mod the EM2, its a waste of money. and take it from someone who has had 3 buddies try to mod their EM2's, 1 was auto, 2 were manual, all 3 were pretty poor imo, performance wise, functionality and aesthetically.
but at the end of the day, if its your car, and its all you got at the moment, or you cant afford another car, by all means, maybe Lower it, throw some wheels, decent tires on there (at the very least Falken's), Bolts On's, and if u wanna go above and beyond, get it dynotuned, imo thats all you should really be doing
to a car of that caliber besides Aesthetics.
Banned
Oct 20 2019 11:13pm
Quote (chewbacha @ Oct 19 2019 06:18pm)
What's up JSP?

The Midpipe install has proven to me that I cannot get my beater/daily driver to sound good...
It makes that annoying/embarassing rattle can nnneEeEEEOOOWWWWWW POW POW WAHHHHHH stupid sound...

Disappointed by my past N/A 4 cylinder cars so I am done, I am going forced induction.
Saving the N/A for larger displacements for damn sure now...no replacement for what?
Seriously, forged internals, rods, etc still won't be putting down respectable numbers or road-worthy noise on 4 cylinders from what I have learned unless you have certain gems like an S2000...

Anyway enough blab, please help if you can...

EM2 d17 turbo project currently in the works and I need your help friends!

Looking at:
- Larger Fuel Injectors (I need help, which do I get and are they a direct replacement?)
- Do I need a new Fuel Injector Rail?
- Upgraded Fuel Pump (Not sure what to look for, I see a few in the $40 - $60 range)
- Intake Manifold (Some people say the plastic intake manifold for the d17 can take up to 15psi but do not recommend over 10psi due to the plastic warping)
I might just keep the stock intake manifold, cheapest cast iron intake manifold is $500 and I am already way over budget on my EM2...sh!t adds up lol)
- Turbo Kit has everything but downpipe (Only downpipe I could find was one that gets rid of the catalytic converter, don't know how loud that is going to be on my custom catback setup w/ silencer)

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated!

if ur already budgetting, in terms of the NEEDS on a turbo setup. i wouldnt even bother either.
when people say turboing a honda is cheap, they mean its cheaper compared to doing so to other manufacturers. only thing
i can say about the above statement is. Tight budget + turbo = problem.
Hondata also wont work i believe, since u cant chip the ecu on the D17, very small market for the D17. youll need to
ECU piggyback system or get a Stand Alone (Ex. AEM EMS) which are Extremely expensive, and really there is no point unless your going balls to the walls with this car, which i doubt.

here's a good write up, you can decide whether u want to turbo it, or just lightly modify and have fun with what you have.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/looking-turbo-01-05-d17-civic-look-here-38523/
Oct 21 2019 01:34am
Quote (ZeaL0RDeaL @ Oct 20 2019 10:13pm)
if ur already budgetting, in terms of the NEEDS on a turbo setup. i wouldnt even bother either.
when people say turboing a honda is cheap, they mean its cheaper compared to doing so to other manufacturers. only thing
i can say about the above statement is. Tight budget + turbo = problem.
Hondata also wont work i believe, since u cant chip the ecu on the D17, very small market for the D17. youll need to
ECU piggyback system or get a Stand Alone (Ex. AEM EMS) which are Extremely expensive, and really there is no point unless your going balls to the walls with this car, which i doubt.

here's a good write up, you can decide whether u want to turbo it, or just lightly modify and have fun with what you have.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/looking-turbo-01-05-d17-civic-look-here-38523/

Thanks for input, yeah the EP3 Civic SI is actually an entirely different chassis with a K series engine. Honda was testing it's waters at the time I believe with the K series and this was one of the first mass produced K engines in the world, USA it's called SI but in other parts it is the type R and the EM2 1.7 is the SI?

For the ECU this is good, piggybacks and even an AEM EMS have negative feedback...and luckily the creator of Hondata KPro's shop is like 25 miles away from me...

Hondata released an update where it will help the d17 adapt to think it is a base RSX 5 speed not the 6speed type S

I've already maxed it with bolt on's and suspension work but no internal stuff, just going to have fun with this turbo kit build and if it blows up another d17 is like 400 bucks...

Why do you say that the transmission is bad on these?
Before mine started slipping gears I had fun with some quick launches, 0-40 in like 3 or 4 seconds 0-60 in like 6 or 7 seconds...

Banned
Oct 21 2019 02:05am
Quote (chewbacha @ Oct 21 2019 12:34am)
Thanks for input, yeah the EP3 Civic SI is actually an entirely different chassis with a K series engine. Honda was testing it's waters at the time I believe with the K series and this was one of the first mass produced K engines in the world, USA it's called SI but in other parts it is the type R and the EM2 1.7 is the SI?

For the ECU this is good, piggybacks and even an AEM EMS have negative feedback...and luckily the creator of Hondata KPro's shop is like 25 miles away from me...

Hondata released an update where it will help the d17 adapt to think it is a base RSX 5 speed not the 6speed type S

I've already maxed it with bolt on's and suspension work but no internal stuff, just going to have fun with this turbo kit build and if it blows up another d17 is like 400 bucks...

Why do you say that the transmission is bad on these?
Before mine started slipping gears I had fun with some quick launches, 0-40 in like 3 or 4 seconds 0-60 in like 6 or 7 seconds...

Gurantee trans will blow if not engine first. Especially if u want 200whp. 2 months tops
Gold: 30.56
Oct 21 2019 02:10am
Scrap the em2 and d17 would be the first step.

Buy a $500 eg hatch or ek coupe shell and build a motor worth building. I ran my old ek coupe with high comp b20v N/A for awhile, made 212whp. Eventually got old and slapped a ebay turbo kit on it and ran 8lbs making 302whp or something around there.
Oct 21 2019 02:28am
Quote (Butts @ Oct 21 2019 01:10am)
Scrap the em2 and d17 would be the first step.

Buy a $500 eg hatch or ek coupe shell and build a motor worth building. I ran my old ek coupe with high comp b20v N/A for awhile, made 212whp. Eventually got old and slapped a ebay turbo kit on it and ran 8lbs making 302whp or something around there.

Now that is the type of 4 cylinder worth building is what I am talking about, a b20 revs to what 8500 or 9000 right?
Yeah that is something I've wanted to do as well, if I ever come across a good deal I might...but the next thing I am doing is a v8 rwd for damn sure.

no more fwd or awd 4 cylinders!

after the v8 rwd lol

This post was edited by chewbacha on Oct 21 2019 02:29am
Gold: 30.56
Oct 21 2019 02:41am
Quote (chewbacha @ Oct 21 2019 04:28am)
Now that is the type of 4 cylinder worth building is what I am talking about, a b20 revs to what 8500 or 9000 right?
Yeah that is something I've wanted to do as well, if I ever come across a good deal I might...but the next thing I am doing is a v8 rwd for damn sure.

no more fwd or awd 4 cylinders!

after the v8 rwd lol

Unsure on that, I just know it pulled hard when brake boosting haha. Run it at 8lbs for 2 years and beat on it all the time. Had fully built head and rebuilt bottom end. Had it paired with the b16 trans with longer 5th because going 65mph on the highway screaming at 4.5k rpms got old haha.
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll